First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Counterpoint: there is a huge market for these types of luxury large SUVs, and Jeep hasn't had a product for that category since the Commander (which was really a "large mid-size").

I think there is a market for this, and it will not cannibalize other existing models.
I don't disagree, but I feel the same way about this as I do the Mustang E or whatever. Why call it that? Why call it a Wagoneer with the direct intention of reviving something without really paying homage to it? I feel like people felt the same way with the Gladiator.
Sponsored

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps you can answer my question? Is full power available any time the driver demands it?

Also, others have posted concerns about longevity. Any indications from the Pacifica Hybrid group? I also have a Pacifica but it's the gas model.
I'd hesitate to say that the Pachy's "power train logic" will be the exactly the same as the 4xe's. For example, the Pachy does not have the three mode buttons (I've wished it did). With that said, of course full power is available with a battery above the minimum state of charge and fuel in the tank. I think your question is, "Is full power available when the battery is below the minimum state of charge?" Unfortunately, I can't give a firm answer for a few reasons, 1) see above, 2) I don't recall if I've ever floored it when the battery is exhausted and we're running on the 3.6 alone. It's possible that the battery could give a brief boost in a WOT situation. How? Because even when the battery is below it's minimum SOC, it reserves some power so that it is able to revert to battery only when you're creeping along in a parking lot or pulling into the garage. Perhaps a WOT experiment is in order.

Regarding long term life. The Pachy was introduced in 2017 and is simply too new to get any real, long-term data. FWIW, the battery does have a 10 year/ 100k mile (or 150k mi depending on your state) warranty. I don't frequent the Pachy forums, because well, it's not an enthusiast car. We have had a recall aimed at preventing the battery from burning the vehicle to the ground. ;)

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi E-tron (x2) ’21, Rubicon 4xe Nacho (on order)
How exactly would you charge the battery? Engine will not charge it right?
So you get to purchase/install Jeep-proprietary charging system in your garage since you'll have to charge it often.
And adapters to be able to charge at other stations...
Nothing is proprietary, it will charge using any level 2 charger with J1772 connector, which is like 95% of them, or you can just plug it into your garage outlet if you want to charge overnight.

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
If your trail day would see you burning only about 1.5 gallons of fuel all day, maybe. If you want heating and cooling all day, forget it.
So do the batteries recharge during non battery driving or are you only good for what you put in the night before? Most appreciated.

Sponsored

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt , BMW F800GS
So do the batteries recharge during non battery driving or are you only good for what you put in the night before? Most appreciated.
It recharges during driving using regen/ so coasting and braking.

The Volt has what’s called a mountain mode that would run at a slightly higher rpm and recharge the battery to 50% to help in steep climb situations. I don’t know if the wrangler has this. In this mode the engine got crap mpg overall so it was truly only used when necessary and is supposed to be activated prior to depleting the battery Below 50% So it doesn’t have to charge the battery, essentially it was meant to keep a larger buffer for longer ascents. It’s less efficient to charge the battery off engine power so once the battery is depleted to the buffer level your better off only replenishing with regen and not engine power.

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
WOW, that is impressive. Any indication on what the pricing will be?
If the Pacifica Hybrid pricing is any indication... The hybrid model costs about $5-6k more than the comparable base models. That difference diminishes as you climb the trim ladder. The limited models are the same starting price for either power train. However, the devil is in the details with options. For instance, you can't get the stow and go seats in the hybrid because the batteries are in the space where the seats would stow.

Also, watch out for stupid cost cutting measures on the 4xe. If FCA does the same thing they did in the Pacifica, the hybrid will be missing some options when compared to comparable non-hybrid trims. Examples: no LED headlights, less ambient lighting, no memory seats. FCA has been slowly adding these back over the years.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
Good to see that towing and payload figures are still decent. But the electric range is a disappointment. Was really hoping for 32+. In the winter a 25 mile advertised range is probably going to be less than 20... The weight increase is also disappointing, especially with how that battery is mounted higher up and in the cab, than I expected. Not sure this is worth more than a $2k price premium at the moment--and I'm sure it will be much more. I was interested in this... but feeling like it might be better to wait some years for Jeep to iron out the problems and improve the range.
Do they list towing capacity? I haven't seen that yet. CNTL-F on this page brings up nothing.

Sponsored

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
This looks very promising. Acceleration that equates to what the 5.7L Hemi would do is a nice bonus. Quick question, and this is more about how these plug-in hybrids work: Is that 375 horse available all the time? Do the electric motor ever drain completely or are they being recharged by the gas motor?
375 horse available all the time. Battery drains down to a low percentage, but gas engine keeps it charged above 0. You don't want one of these batteries to ever hit 0, it's bad for them. Usually there's an artificial buffer built in so even when it's at 0 it's not ACTUALLY at 0. The car will just treat it like 0.

Press release says there's a setting in uconnect to toggle between "Battery Save" and "Battery Charge" mode, so I'm REALLY hoping this means gas engine can recharge batteries to full, which would allow that power to be available to power campsites or crawl. No explanation of the terms though.

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Add to the list: One non-obvious pro, one non-obvious con

Con:

Batteries are the most expensive component in an electric vehicle (EV), representing about 30% of the cost. And batteries have a limited longevity. Industry estimates are that by the time a vehicle is six years old, its battery has gone through half of its useful life.

If this were a Tesla, you may not care that it’d require a major investment every 12 years. But Wranglers live for a very long time – and have the best depreciation figures of any vehicle. So, potential buyers may be put off by $1,250 in annual battery depreciation (I’m assuming $15K cost of battery replacement every 12 years).

EVs are the direction of the car industry, and much research goes into improving battery longevity and lowering the cost of manufacturing. Both should eventually improve, but for now, battery longevity is a concern.

While I agree with the principle of this, let's not neglect the size of the batteries in question. The Tesla has up to a 100kW battery. The 4xe has 17kW. So, the cost to replace the 4xe battery, while not insignificant, should be substantially less than replacing the battery from a BEV with a 100kW battery.
Sponsored