First Name
Sandor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Gladiator Hard Rock rims, MOPAR 2" lift
Occupation
Project Manager
25 mpg on full electric is kind of pathetic at this day and age. Still good getting that 50 hybrid but i expected more.
25 mpg on full electric? What?!
Mpg means miles per gallon, the 25 in the listing means 25 miles RANGE while going full electric.
Sponsored

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Add to the list: One non-obvious pro, one non-obvious con

Pro:

I'm not surprised that this is such a powerful beast, because electric engines output most torque close to zero RPM (yes!). Acceleration is incredible, and so it power at low RPM. This isn't a Tesla, but but since an electric engine provides maximum torque at extremely low RPM, the difference can be substantial exactly in off-road situations.

Last edited:

BKio

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Ecodiesel
I am excited about this. Love my ecodiesel and want to slap an electric battery in it and have a diesel/electric hybrid....

Come on now.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
On a slightly related note, what did you all think about the Grand Wagoneer? I did not like it. Disappointing as I am looking to replace my Pacifica with something in the next year or two.
Um, The styling is ho-hum. Not overtly ugly (like the latest LX570 or 1st QX56) but also totally unappealing to me. I tapped out at the "sustainable polyurethane seating surfaces" What the everloving f'k???

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Yeah, I get the feeling FCA/Jeep feel like fish out of the water with this technology.

I’ve been seeing an ad for JL 4Xe that boasts about how quiet it is.

Seriously? FCA spent billions of dollars developing this technology, it is going to charge buyers a hefty price premium for it...and all it can say about it is that it is...quiet...? Is that even a consumer benefit...?
Last time we went camping on the beach was an endless overnight parade of tiny wankers with loud exhausts on their trucks that liked revving their engines right next to the campsite. Some peace and quiet outdoors would be nice. Too bad it can't make other people's crap quieter.

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Add to the list: One non-obvious pro, one non-obvious con

Con:

Batteries are the most expensive component in an electric vehicle (EV), representing about 30% of the cost. And batteries have a limited longevity. Industry estimates are that by the time a vehicle is six years old, its battery has gone through half of its useful life.

If this were a Tesla, you may not care that it’d require a major investment every 12 years. But Wranglers live for a very long time – and have the best depreciation figures of any vehicle. So, potential buyers may be put off by $1,250 in annual battery depreciation (I’m assuming $15K cost of battery replacement every 12 years).

EVs are the direction of the car industry, and much research goes into improving battery longevity and lowering the cost of manufacturing. Both should eventually improve, but for now, battery longevity is a concern.

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Im reading different things on the release

They said in the video by the end of the year but articles like this are saying next year?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
25 mpg on full electric is kind of pathetic at this day and age. Still good getting that 50 hybrid but i expected more.
Indeed. The Toyota RAV4 PHEV goes 40 miles on one charge. And this Jeep is going to cost a LOT more than that Toyota.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
They could drive the belt with the electric motor and just let the engine pump with the valves closed (like cylinder deactivation tech). The losses running the engine like that are surprisingly minimal. The water for the heater should stay warm a while or they could use an electric element to heat it.

Or they could go fancy and just replace the AC/heater with electric versions, but electric heaters suck power.

Or go really really fancy and do an electric heat pump like Tesla does on the Y. Don't really see that one happening.

How does the Pacifica handle climate control?

Sponsored

Mom2SNSH

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Being quite happy with my current Sahara, all I really want to know is what “snazzberry” is gonna look like. ‍♀

Placebo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something with 4 wheels
Just curious how many rocks you've had come through the floor of your Wrangler?
I guess it shows that I didn’t read or bother looking at the pictures haha. Didn’t realize the battery was mounted that high up. One less fear lol.
Sponsored