Sponsored

LJ2JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep LJ
The 50MPGe is applicable when the 4xe is running off the battery in electric only mode
Is this confirmed anywhere? I assumed it got 50MPGe in hybrid mode not just in full electric mode.
Sponsored

LJ2JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep LJ
Look at the PacHy. 87 mpge or something and 30ish mpg in hybrid mode.
No offense but that’s not a confirmation. It’s all speculation and guesses until I see a statement from Jeep.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
No offense but that’s not a confirmation. It’s all speculation and guesses until I see a statement from Jeep.
No offense but it's a mental leap of 3 millimeters. It also makes zero sense that the 4xe would get 50mpg on hybrid. I don't think you need anyone to explicitly tell you that.

LJ2JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep LJ
No offense but it's a mental leap of 3 millimeters. It also makes zero sense that the 4xe would get 50mpg on hybrid. I don't think you need anyone to explicitly tell you that.
I’m just asking for sources to back up claims. Sorry if that upsets you.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Source is rudimentary common sense. No one is upset. But your question is not the most thought out one I've heard during my busy work day.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Otherwise, please explain how a van that has 260ish total hp gets 30mpg in hybrid but a brick of a Wrangler with 375hp will get 50 on hybrid.

LJ2JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep LJ
Source is rudimentary common sense. No one is upset. But your question is not the most thought out one I've heard during my busy work day.
Is it also common sense to assume not everyone knows everything about hybrid systems? Maybe it’s just me but I don’t know anyone with a hybrid or an electric vehicle.

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt , BMW F800GS
Did you read that regen is not available when using gasoline? The plug in hybrid I owned before my gladiator absolutely had regen under engine power.

for what it’s worth I owned a volt in Colorado. On a trip to grand lake From the front Range though Rocky Mountain National park you can get a ton of regen miles. I started the trip on gas mode and switched to electric so that it would almost be depleted at the top. I then coasted (regen) all the way down to grand lake almost topping off the battery by the bottom. On the return I did the same in reverse. Gasoline/ hybrid to climb, coast to bottom. The volt was rated at something like 35 miles of electric, at the end of the day I had done 100 miles of electric and burned around a gallon of gas.

Last edited:

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Is this confirmed anywhere? I assumed it got 50MPGe in hybrid mode not just in full electric mode.
I based my statement on the following (bold added by me):

"The label for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles displays fuel economy for both modes of operation.

The left-hand fuel economy box on the label displays the fuel economy when operating on electricity. This is described in miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent (MPGe). Think of this as being similar to MPG, but instead of presenting miles per gallon of the vehicle’s fuel type, it represents the number of miles the vehicle can go using a quantity of fuel with the same energy content as a gallon of gasoline.

The right-hand fuel economy box displays the fuel economy when the battery is emptied and the vehicle is using gasoline. This is described in miles per gallon (MPG).

Both of these values represent the combined city and highway value." Source: Fueleconomy.gov

No doubt this is a relatively new, complicated, and ever-evolving subject. It's further complicated if/when manufacturers use the terms in imprecise ways, e.g., does Jeep mean 50mpge in the same way as described by fueleconomy.gov? I, like most of us, am still learning and am doing my best with what little information FCA has provided. I look forward to more info...a lot more.

For example, I'm not satisfied with how neatly the math in my previous post works out. It assumes "access" to all 17 of the battery's kWh's. But we know that manufacturers usually restrict or recommend against 1) use below a minimum state of charge and 2) routinely charging to actual 100%. How does FCA account for this? We don't know yet. Could the loss of access to battery capacity be made up for by regenerative braking on the EPA test cycle? Perhaps. What exactly is the EPA test cycle? I'm looking into this.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
Trying to think which EV truck would offer a presale list and cost 3x the Wrangler. Bollinger?

Bollinger is selling a rolling EV chassis now, might be a good starting point for something, although I haven't seen the cost and I'm sure it's eye-watering.
Yes!
When I started on the "waiting list" I knew it was a down the road project and expensive. But not when I see more fluff and mirrors. It has turned into a "government like" contract project aka way over priced under performer no where on time or budget.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
Yes!
When I started on the "waiting list" I knew it was a down the road project and expensive. But not when I see more fluff and mirrors. It has turned into a "government like" contract project aka way over priced under performer no where on time or budget.
Yeah they had some good ideas and I really liked the analog feel to it all, but seemed more like a passion project more than ambition to be a volume manufacturer. I had signed up early as well, but since then better options have emerged. Now it looks like they're pivoting to delivery vans.
Sponsored