Sponsored

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/22/2021-jeep-wrangler-4xe-plug-in-hybrid-first-edition/

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid gets First Edition model in Europe Jeep-Wrangler-4xe-First-Edition_side

Plug-in hybrid Jeep Wrangler 4xe gets First Edition model in Europe

Will it come to America?

January 22, 2021

Jeep detailed the First Edition variant of the plug-in hybrid Wrangler 4xe that it will launch in Europe in early 2021. While the package hasn't been announced for America yet, we could see something like it here in the near future.

As is typically the case, the First Edition builds on the standard 4xe with a generous list of standard equipment and a handful of model-specific styling cues. Based on the 80th Anniversary edition, it gains every extra-cost option offered on the 4xe, including heated front seats and numerous electronic driving aids. Buyers will also receive a trunk organizer, a car cover, an extended five-year warranty, and a membership to the Jeep Wave loyalty program. Jeep is also throwing in a home charger and a cable to draw juice from public charging stations.

Black, Granite Crystal, and Bright White are the only options on the First Edition palette. Jeep points out they're the three colors that European customers prefer. LED headlights, Granite Crystal accents, 18-inch wheels, and a hard cover for the spare tire are also found on the list of standard features. Inside, the launch model offers an 8.4-inch touchscreen with navigation, smartphone connectivity, and an information screen in the instrument cluster.

Jeep made no mechanical changes to the First Edition, so it's powered by a gasoline-electric plug-in hybrid powertrain that consists of a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and an electric motor integrated into the eight-speed automatic transmission. The system's total output checks in at 375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque. It weighs nearly 5,000 pounds, yet it posts a six-second sprint from zero to 60 mph.

Significantly, the electronics (including the 17-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack) are fully protected from the elements. Like the non-hybrid Wrangler, the 4xe is capable of driving through up to 30 inches of water.

European motorists who want to explore the great outdoors in a Wrangler 4xe First Edition need to register their interest on a dedicated website before the middle of March. They'll then be given the opportunity to buy the off-roader when sales begin before the summer of 2021. There's no word yet on how many examples will be built. In France, Pricing starts at 71,700 euros (around $87,300) in France, 76,000 euros (about $92,500) in Germany, and 84,900 Swiss Francs (nearly $96,000) in Switzerland. Clearly, the Wrangler is a luxury car across the pond.

Jeep will launch the First Edition in France, Germany, Italy and Switzerland. Other markets will follow. We've reached out to the company to learn if America is one of them, and we'll update this story if we learn more.

While the aforementioned dollar figures border on exorbitant, the standard 4xe should be cheaper, and going hybrid promises to make the Wrangler more accessible to buyers in European nations where emissions-based taxes increase a Wrangler's price by 30% to 40%. For example, motorists in France need to add a 20,000-euro (almost $25,000) gas-guzzler tax to the price of an entry-level Wrangler powered by the 2.0-liter turbo four. Jeep charges 48,150 euros (about $58,600) for a base two-door Sport, so its base price checks in at approximately $83,000.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid gets First Edition model in Europe HP_Jeep-Wrangler-4xe-First-Edition
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid gets First Edition model in Europe Jeep-Wrangler-4xe-First-Edition_side
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid gets First Edition model in Europe Jeep-Wrangler-4xe-First-Edition_front
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid gets First Edition model in Europe Jeep-Wrangler-4xe-First-Edition_lateral
Sponsored

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I don't think we need a "First Edition" - I think the sahara and rubicon 4xe "Launch Edition" is just fine, especially considering the pricing, and that they are not fully loaded, just "well equipped". A "First Edition" like above "with everything" would be close to $70K here in the states. I think the price point of our version Launch Editions is perfectly positioned to get these cars sold and on the road. As for the 20" wheels, there are easy alternatives around the wheels, with the easiest being a dealer swap. In the Launch Edition pricing, you're not paying for the 20s, so just negotiate to swap them for 18s. I think most dealers would see that as a win-win as lots of "normal" wrangler buyers see the 20s are an upgrade.

Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I can hear the Europeans now:

“I expect better quality for a $90,000 vehicle!”

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I can hear the Europeans now:

“I expect better quality for a $90,000 vehicle!”
I think you are more likely to hear.. for a few grand more, I can buy a Mercedes G 350D. If you are dropping 90K, what's 10 more.

EU_Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR 2.2 EcoDiesel
Extremely expensive for a PHEV vehicle, however the Wrangler (and Jeep brand in general) are luxury products over here.

The first 4xe units of the Renegade and Compass are having lots of electrical issues already, so I really do hope that FCA/Stellantis don't mess up the Wrangler reputation with these PHEV versions..

LFMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
It‘s a high price, but you also have to take in account that Jeeps in Europe are far more expensive than in the US. For instance, a 2-door sport in France starts at 45000 Eur, and in Portugal it’s 53000 Eur... On top of that this is a “first edition“ price tag.
In general Jeep is a premium brand in Europe (maybe not so much the compass and renegade). They also come with more standard equipment than the American counterpart, but they’re still way overpriced.

Sponsored

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
[QUOTE="EU_Wrangler, post: 1377093, member: 48065]
The first 4xe units of the Renegade and Compass are having lots of electrical issues already, so I really do hope that FCA/Stellantis don't mess up the Wrangler reputation with these PHEV versions..
[/QUOTE]

Would like to hear more about this if any factual references-

Reactions: VNT

EU_Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR 2.2 EcoDiesel
[QUOTE="EU_Wrangler, post: 1377093, member: 48065]
Would like to hear more about this if any factual references-
[/QUOTE]

I know at least two cases of Renegades 4xe, where they just stop functioning after 48 hours of being picked up from the dealership.
Now the owners have a "brick" seating in the workshop for more than 3 weeks waiting instructions from FCA headquarters in Italy to see how the technicians can solve the problem. (first attempt of doing a software upgrade did not solve anything)

If I would be interested in a 4xe Wrangler (or any other Jeep with 4xe technology), I would wait at least 12 months to order one.

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
A lot of the price of a vehicle in EU is tax which is built into the price instead of added later like the USA. So the base price of the car is usually compareable to Usa pricing when you remove the tax (btw/bpm) out. In the Netherlands the base price is usually cheaper than the USA as they also have the highest tax rate second only to Denmark. Otherwise no one could afford to buy a car.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
A lot of the price of a vehicle in EU is tax which is built into the price instead of added later like the USA. So the base price of the car is usually compareable to Usa pricing when you remove the tax (btw/bpm) out. In the Netherlands the base price is usually cheaper than the USA as they also have the highest tax rate second only to Denmark. Otherwise no one could afford to buy a car.
New car prices in the Netherlands is insane. In Germany, we pay 16% VAT at the moment. That will go back to 19% though. We have no yearly "property tax" on cars like some states do though.

For a well appointed Rubicon in orange with the one touch top and basically all options checked, we pay 67k.(list) You pay 58k(list) for a similar build out. So, it's actually a bit less than the 19% difference. It's still over priced of course, but not as bad as it first sounds. Still.. it was not a happy feeling to transfer 60k from my bank account , but what are ya gonna do.....
90K though? For a Wrangler? Not a fucking chance. If I am spending that much money, then I am buying a 1 year lease return on a G wagon diesel. Unless it was a company car.. then I would consider it because the taxes you pay on company cars are really high and the Jeep would cost about 70% less due to the plug in electric part. Full electric and I'd pay almost no tax.
I expect my next new car will be when Jeep finally has a full electric wrangler with a good range. I don't see any real benefit to a hybrid for my personal situation.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
New car prices in the Netherlands is insane. In Germany, we pay 16% VAT at the moment. That will go back to 19% though. We have no yearly "property tax" on cars like some states do though.

For a well appointed Rubicon in orange with the one touch top and basically all options checked, we pay 67k.(list) You pay 58k(list) for a similar build out. So, it's actually a bit less than the 19% difference. It's still over priced of course, but not as bad as it first sounds. Still.. it was not a happy feeling to transfer 60k from my bank account , but what are ya gonna do.....
90K though? For a Wrangler? Not a fucking chance. If I am spending that much money, then I am buying a 1 year lease return on a G wagon diesel. Unless it was a company car.. then I would consider it because the taxes you pay on company cars are really high and the Jeep would cost about 70% less due to the plug in electric part. Full electric and I'd pay almost no tax.
I expect my next new car will be when Jeep finally has a full electric wrangler with a good range. I don't see any real benefit to a hybrid for my personal situation.
It is going to take a huge leap in battery technology to get a fully electric wrangler with any range. It is about as anti electric in design as you can get.
Sponsored