plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I always think Jeep decided to do 4xe not a full BEV, simply because right now the aerodynamic of Wrangler, combined with tires and rims not optimized for EV, will result in a miserable total range if they do a full BEV (meaning 100 kwh battery may only go 150 miles), that is simply unacceptable by today's driving standard.

On a Tesla, even changing the wheels so slightly (like take off aerocap) can reduce range by 5-10%, exterior mirrors, protruding door handles, lower aero dam, open top, light bars, bumpers, everything you usually don't think about on an ICE Jeep has to be optimized for extending EV range.

So PHEV aka 4xe is probably the only viable option for Jeep right now, until the battery and motor efficiencies further improves (i.e., the new STLA platform). As of now, 20-21 miles on battery is not bad, you have the ICE engine as a backup. But image someone bought a fully electrified Wrangler, and modded it with 37 tires then take off the tops, only to find out it can go barely 100 miles between stop to charge, that will be a PR nightmare.

Last edited:

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
That's further than I thought he'd get at 70mph with the air on.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
ICE on the highway and battery around d town works the best in a 4xe. Maybe the next software upgrade will include an automatic engine start above 50mph just like the doors automaticalky locking above 15mph.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Knowing that Hummer is about to release a full EV SUV, with similar aerodynamic challenges, my guess is the limiting factor is related to the powertrain.

The current 4xe Wrangler is relatively affordable because it adapts a system already in use in the Chrysler Pacifica. The only full EV powertrain sold by FCA in NA is a variant of the Fiat 500.

Given the Hummer EV’s cost, I wouldn’t be surprised if a full EV Wrangler was also in the $80k+ range today. That’s a lot of money for a relatively small, highly specialized vehicle. On the manufacturing side, a lot of tooling for something that might not sell.

With the recent Stellantis merger, it’s possible they can adapt other Stellantis group technology to bring that cost down. In three - five years, I can see the additional R&D bring those costs down.

Tesla has the right idea (at least, in terms of marketing): Aim to sell your trucks in the ~40k market, ~70k fully loaded.

Sponsored

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
ICE on the highway and battery around d town works the best in a 4xe. Maybe the next software upgrade will include an automatic engine start above 50mph just like the doors automaticalky locking above 15mph.
I want true hybrid... Im not a fan that the "hybrid" mode emphasizes electric only until the battery runs out. Let me run in true hybrid unless I say only electric or only battery.

GoldenKnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 HA 4xe
I always think Jeep decided to do 4xe not a full BEV, simply because right now the aerodynamic of Wrangler, combined with tires and rims not optimized for EV, will result in a miserable total range if they do a full BEV (meaning 100 kwh battery may only go 150 miles), that is simply unacceptable by today's driving standard.

On a Tesla, even changing the wheels so slightly (like take off aerocap) can reduce range by 5-10%, exterior mirrors, protruding door handles, lower aero dam, open top, light bars, bumpers, everything you usually don't think about on an ICE Jeep has to be optimized for extending EV range.

So PHEV aka 4xe is probably the only viable option for Jeep right now, until the battery and motor efficiencies further improves (i.e., the new STLA platform). As of now, 20-21 miles on battery is not bad, you have the ICE engine as a backup. But image someone bought a fully electrified Wrangler, and modded it with 37 tires then take off the tops, only to find out it can go barely 100 miles between stop to charge, that will be a PR nightmare.
This is pretty much my assessment too. It works well for us as the electric range covers my wife's full daily commute.

But a Wrangler is shaped like a brick. If the same hybrid system was put into a more aerodynamic package I wouldn't be surprised if the all electric range was double or more.

Once you're talking full EV so much goes into the exterior design for every single mile. It's really has to be a ground up design. I was watching something about the design of the Mach-e, and it even got down to designing the side view mirrors in a way that it deflects air past the door handles to even further reduce drag.

If Jeep commits to doing a fully EV Wrangler, which I'm sure they will, I don't see how it can look exactly like the Wranglers we know today.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Wow!! 29 whole miles??

G.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I want true hybrid... Im not a fan that the "hybrid" mode emphasizes electric only until the battery runs out. Let me run in true hybrid unless I say only electric or only battery.
I agree with this. A true hybrid mode would be great, I just took a road trip and wished the 4xe had this feature.

There is a workaround though…by putting the gear selector in “manual” mode. It’ll kick on the ICE even with full battery with hybrid mode selected and will act as a true hybrid (gas/electric simultaneously). Yeah you’ll have to shift, but it does achieve your goal of running a true hybrid mode.

Sponsored

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I agree with this. A true hybrid mode would be great, I just took a road trip and wished the 4xe had this feature.

There is a workaround though…by putting the gear selector in “manual” mode. It’ll kick on the ICE even with full battery with hybrid mode selected and will act as a true hybrid (gas/electric simultaneously). Yeah you’ll have to shift, but it does achieve your goal of running a true hybrid mode.
Absolutely, I use that any time I am not around/near stop lights or traffic. I tried it in traffic and I kept forgetting to up shift after it auto downshifts. Also the MPG even around town is so much better while the battery is charged. Im surprised Jeep didnt offer the functionality out of the gate.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
If you want a true hybrid mode all the time, just don't plug it in. It runs like a true hybrid that way. The whole point of a PHEV is to have an urban-usable all-electric range. After that range is gone, it functions like a standard hybrid.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I have never played with e-save much but wouldn't it act like a true hybrid in e-save if you had it set for save battery instead of charge? I just have a hard time believing that the engineers setting this thing up did not do it the way it is for a reason