Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
Hello community!

I am creating this thread to provide a good comparative advise to a good friend of mine. His RAM 1500 lease is up in 90 days and he's wanting to join the Jeep family. His options are either the MY22 WL Grand Cherokee with the OffRoad package or a late MY21 Wrangler (trim undecided, whatever he can fit within $50,000).
He goes on long roadtrips with his family, coupled with some moderate offroading. He has plans to add a small trailer, one that can hold a couple of kayaks and bikes.

I leased a Grand Cherokee for 2 years and I have a JL Sahara now. I came up with the following pros and cons of but my experience is limited and I am sure the members here can add a lot more to this discussion.

MY22 WL GC w/ OffRoad package:
1. Brand new. Will have a lot of cool interior and exterior upgrades, with some potential launch year glitches maybe?
2. Trailhawk is definitely capable off-road but a Sport S would probably be able to match it.
3. A lot more cargo room
4. Higher tow rating
5. Better highway ride comfort

MY21 Wrangler:
1. Can be customized in so many different ways to match user's vehicle requirements
2. A Sport S or Sahara and trims upwards can be loaded with many creature comforts
3. Top/door off convertible and uniqueness of the vehicle is unmatched. No SUV gets close
4. Most glitches have been cleaned up since the JL launched in 2018.

Fuel economy of my 2.0L Wrangler is on par with the 3.6L GC I had, ~22 combined.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If he is a chain-leaser, chances are he won't be modding or off-roading much.

I say Grand Cherokee and call it a day. It drives like a luxury sedan, and that interior will impress the neighbors!

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
If he is a chain-leaser, chances are he won't be modding or off-roading much.

I say Grand Cherokee and call it a day. It drives like a luxury sedan, and that interior will impress the neighbors!
I forgot to add that he plans to keep the Jeep model he picks for a long time.

The GC does drive like a luxury sedan than a Jeep. Would the most offroad capable GC (without the room to mod) still be as capable as a moderately equipped Wrangler?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot to add that he plans to keep the Jeep model he picks for a long time.

The GC does drive like a luxury sedan than a Jeep. Would the most offroad capable GC (without the room to mod) still be as capable as a moderately equipped Wrangler?
No.

I saw a brand-new WK2 Trailhawk leave its forward sensors and a chunk of its front air dam littered behind after going over the same rocks I had just traversed in my JKUR.

All that cladding and those electronics are there for on-road use, but they get in the way on the trail. Even with the air suspension all the way up.

The time and expense involved in lifting a Grand Cherokee, removing all that cladding, adding an steel bumper with a winch, etc., would be pointless.

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
A.modern grand cherokee won't come close to what a wrangler is capable of doing. Need a better idea of what he is thinking for off road...

Sponsored

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
What does he want to "offroad"? Dirt trails heading to camp grounds that people tackle with their sedans? Or rock crawling trails?

For probably 99.5% of consumers and 75% of "offroaders" the GC is probably as capable.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
What does he want to "offroad"? Dirt trails heading to camp grounds that people tackle with their sedans? Or rock crawling trails?

For probably 99.5% of consumers and 75% of "offroaders" the GC is probably as capable.
That's just it. A GC would probably serve him better in a snow storm and on dirt roads. He needs to be honest with himself about how he plans to use the Jeep.

The same goes for "keeping this Jeep at the end of the lease." I have heard that before.

People lease for a variety of reasons. "Keeping the vehicle" is not usually in the top 10.

A Grand Cherokee is a much better vehicle to lease than a Wrangler.

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
His idea of off-roading includes the trails in and around Ouray CO (Engineer Pass, Black Bear pass), the moderate trails of Death Valley, back country roads in parts of Utah and Montana.

Definitely no rock crawling and no severe off-road trails like the Rubicon trail.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I watch this guy on youtube. He runs a GC with air bags, not sure what else. I've been impressed with some of the stuff he's done. That being said, I kinda look at it as a gauge - if he can do it I know I can do it. Maybe thats the wrong way to think but it is the truth...

(1171) Prodigal Overland - YouTube

Edit: I'd also like to add - It sounds like the things he's interested in doing could be done in a GC more comfortably. That being said, if he's interested in a wrangler, a GC will probably not scratch that itch so he'll always look at one and think... man I wish I had gotten one of those instead.

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
That's just it. A GC would probably serve him better in a snow storm and on dirt roads.

He needs to be realistic about how he plans to use the Jeep.

The same goes for "keeping this Jeep at the end of the lease." I have heard that before.

People lease for a variety of reasons. "Keeping the vehicle" is not usually in the top 10.

Haha! Good point about "keeping the Jeep". I have seen and heard that myself too.

Any reason why you would rank the full-time AWD GC over a Wrangler with a SelecTrac for snow storms and dirt roads?

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
His idea of off-roading includes the trails in and around Ouray CO (Engineer Pass, Black Bear pass), the moderate trails of Death Valley, back country roads in parts of Utah and Montana.

Definitely no rock crawling and no severe off-road trails like the Rubicon trail.
Death Valley is one of my favorite places.

After he does the easy trails in Death Valley, he is going to want to do the more difficult ones. IF he is serious about offroading, and about keeping the vehicle, then he should get a Wrangler.

A Sport or a Sahara with a 2-inch lift and 35-inch tires will allow him to do 99% of the trails out there. Get the Selec-Trac and the rear LSD for those Michigan winters.

Last edited:

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
That's just it. A GC would probably serve him better in a snow storm and on dirt roads. He needs to be honest with himself about how he plans to use the Jeep.

Yep, lease to own is rarely smart, outside of edgecases (getting a phev credit up front when you have a low liability/other tax credits). If you can't afford to finance it now, why would you be able to pay for it at the end of the lease? Some people have a real answer to that, some don't.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Haha! Good point about "keeping the Jeep". I have seen and heard that myself too.

Any reason why you would rank the full-time AWD GC over a Wrangler with a SelecTrac for snow storms and dirt roads?
A Wrangler with Selec-Trac, rear LSD and ATs is going to drive closest to a GC Trailhawk in the snow.

On the other hand, he is likely going to find driving a Wrangler with Command Trac, open rear diff, and MTs can be a bit of a handful in snow. Even a Rubicon with MTs is likely to feel a bit unpredictable in anything less than 6-8 inches of snow.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Sounds like a Mojave or Rubicon Gladiator would suit him. Can be had for $50k if you can forgo leather and painted body parts etc. I am very happy with a basic Rubicon. Mojave suspension sounds great for gravel road use, Rubicon is a Rubicon, awesome off road. The Rubi can be had with the auto 4wd t-case perfect for patchy snowy roads, auto engage/disengage based on wheel slip.

I think either a JlU or JT would be more fun every day than even a capable JGC.

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Death Valley is one of my favorite places.

After he does the easy trails in Death Valley, he is going to want to do the more difficult ones. IF he is serious about offroading, and about keeping the vehicle, then he should get a Wrangler.

A Sport or a Sahara with a 2-inch lift and 35-inch tires will allow him to do 99% of the trails out there. Get the Selec-Trac and the rear LSD for those Michigan winters.
Death Valley - One of the most unique and jaw dropping places, both scary and beautiful, that I have been to!
I did the moderate trails in my old 4Runner Trail Edition when I was there.
Did you see the news of the mercury touching 127 degrees a few days ago?

My Sahara with the SelecTrac, LSD and ATs is a good test drive vehicle for my buddy.
Can't imagine I can conquer 99% of the trails with a 35" Duratrac or KO2s or Wildpeaks with a 2" lift with a presumably "street oriented" Sahara.

These are the things that a GC would be unable to do.
Sponsored