DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's jeep 2020 never ran right since new they replaced the motor 25 miles in the second motor blew up i wouldn't own another jeep if the paid me. My neighbors jeep caught fire its a 2021 just sitting in the driveway his had only 6500 miles on it they determined it was the start stop battery which I didn't know was lithium so you can keep jeeps got a 4runner never a problem.
Right. Sure. We believe you.
Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
[/QUOTE]
My wife's jeep 2020 never ran right since new they replaced the motor 25 miles in the second motor blew up i wouldn't own another jeep if the paid me. My neighbors jeep caught fire its a 2021 just sitting in the driveway his had only 6500 miles on it they determined it was the start stop battery which I didn't know was lithium so you can keep jeeps got a 4runner never a problem.
Oh wow. I wish you had posted before. I would have never bought a Jeep had I known this. :LOL::CWL::CWL:

Sorry. I just could not help myself.

Sam

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
I picked up my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Recon earlier this week. I stopped by the local post office to pickup my mail and when I tried to start the vehicle it sputtered and killed. The dealer towed it to their shop and determined one of the pistons had failed. The dealer wants to put an new engine in the Jeep but I'm not to excited about that. I contacted Jeep about the problem and I'm hopeful they will make it right by replacing the jeep or buying it back. I really like the Jeep but I'm not looking forward to waiting another 4 month's to have a new one built. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I'm not concerned about the new engine. It's all of the teardown and reassembly that bothers me. Everything will have to come out of the engine compartment to get that 6.4 out. I wouldn't be as concerned if I could choose my own mechanic.
If you go for a replacement engine, the Jeep will never be 100% right. There will be rattles, UN-foreseen problems, etc. I would want a 100% refund, and apply it to another Wrangler, even if you have to wait a couple of months for a new one.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you go for a replacement engine, the Jeep will never be 100% right. There will be rattles, UN-foreseen problems, etc. I would want a 100% refund, and apply it to another Wrangler, even if you have to wait a couple of months for a new one.
It's not that hard. They follow a service manual. And they will only use techs certified on that procedure. Most likely, it will be fine. This is not nearly the hardest job those techs do.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
If you get a new engine, don't forget to ask for your old parts!
The "old parts" belong to Jeep, since the new engine would be free to you. Only if they charged you for a new engine, could you ask for your "old parts" back

Sponsored

Rolling heavy

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic si coupe, 2017 honda civic EXLHB,
What's the issue with engine replacement?
The vehicle will always have a stigma associated with it and the VIN number of the engine will never match the VIN number of the vehicle the proud owner of this vehicle should not have to deal with this. Jeep should step up and simply replace the vehicle

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The vehicle will always have a stigma associated with it and the VIN number of the engine will never match the VIN number of the vehicle the proud owner of this vehicle should not have to deal with this. Jeep should step up and simply replace the vehicle
I agree. Get them to give it to me. I'll suffer and sacrifice and drive it for the next 20 years, weeping every time I step on the gas pedal.

Btw, the remanufactured Ecoboost installed in my Transit van had zero effect on its trade-in value, 80k miles later.

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
This is a bit different but my wife purchased a 2017 Diesel Porsche Cayenne, last year Porsche imported the diesel in the US. The high pressure fuel pump granaded and they had to pull the engine and ship it back to Porsche. They replaced everything and extended the warranty to 2025. It took about two months and costs $38K. If they wouldn't have extended the warranty I would not have agreed to replacing the engine, they treated us very well, I got to drive so many different kinds of Porsches I didn't want our Cayenne back...

Crap happens, a lot of people will tell you how bad Jeeps are, how you can't trust them, the numbers won't match etc.. This is not a collectable and clearly you didn't think Jeep sucked when you purchased it. Jeep will want to know what happened and they'll probably treat you really well to sort this out.

105K miles later the Cayenne is working great and my wife is really happy. Good luck with your decision.

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
They are going to replace the engine one way or another. Let them and see how it goes. It’s not rocket science. Things break. Move on. If you don’t like it sell it. Good luck.

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
Much depends on the dealership. When I had the transmission replaced on my JK it was quick, simple, and they took great care of me. They did a great job on the replacement, too, with no issues. It took them 2 days. That's it. And I got a loaner, too. Which was impressive due to the Jeep having 116k miles on it. There was no requirement under my warranty to provide a loaner, either, but they did it.

This doesn't automatically mean OP will have any trouble out of the dealer or Jeep. I'm betting they get him squared quickly, being that the Jeep was so new and the failure so unusual. Once they get the new engine, I'm betting 3 days, tops, once they start turning wrenches.
not necessarily true -recent history the dealer does the repair and gets recouped from corporate- it’s reversed now - you have to get FCA to authorize the work THEN the dealer can start (they then order the parts once the authorization goes thru) - I had the max care warranty and it diddnt budge this process

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I bought a motorcycle last year, it was a first year for the bike. At 250 miles the engine blew and it turned out to be a somewhat common problem with that new model. The company wanted to replace the engine but there are three issues with that. 1. There was a 4-6 week wait for a new engine. 2. Since this was a new model, my bike would be a Guinea pig for a dealer who’s never replaced an engine. 3. The serial numbers wouldn’t match which would cause all sorts of future headaches with the DMV, future owners and resale value. In the end it took a lot of fighting with the company on my part (the dealer was useless, wouldn’t go to bat for me), but I eventually got them to buy the bike back and I went on to buy another brand.
The laws in Florida are different though. It makes no difference what you "demand". They only need to do what is required by law. You can ask, but they are not obligated to do anything other that what is written in the law or warranty.

Also, the reduction of value argument may hold less water in the limit production, very high demand 392. A normal wrangler may be different. Some people would be more likely to buy a Jeep with a new engine.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
not necessarily true -recent history the dealer does the repair and gets recouped from corporate- it’s reversed now - you have to get FCA to authorize the work THEN the dealer can start (once they then order the parts) - I had the max care warranty and it diddnt budge this process
The dealer still is crucial. They can advocate for you.

I think the authorization train left the station very quickly on this one. They want that engine. And I don't think they want an unhappy customer with such a new Jeep. I didn't see where OP said they didn't authorize it or that they even hesitated.

Give them a chance. I think they'll take care of it. They did for me, on a 10 year old Jeep with 116k miles. No questions, no fuss, nothing. I didn't even ask for a new transmission. I only wanted a rattle fixed and to see if they could help with it popping out of gear about once every week or two. They made this decision within two hours of me dropping the Jeep off, and told me right away.

When my radio screen started delaminating in my JL, I was 2k past the end of the bumper to bumper. FCA initially denied the warranty claim, which I could understand. Even though I have Maxcare and it only would have been a $200 deductible, my dealership advocated for me and asked the regional service manager to reconsider. (I also had a bit of help from @JeepCares, who advocated for me, too.) They did and they approved it. I never pushed hard, at all, knowing the worst case was $200.

So I've had pretty darned good experience with both a good dealership and FCA. I haven't tested them since they became Stellantis, but my dealership's service manager says he's been pleased so far with what he's seen, which is very little change.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
Putting a new engine in depreciates the value of the Jeep significantly.
Could be, but an extended and transferable warrantee would fix that. If there were a 10 year/125K warranty on the engine that could be transferred to a new owner then most people would not be concerned about an engine replacement. Also, I would hope most would see a warranty replacement as not being all that bad. Now if the job is done and then the Jeep is up for sale shortly after then many might suspect a problem....
Sponsored