DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Alex, I'd be looking for mainly the drive train. Any idea what they are going for?
Just an FYI, I think it is a decent insurance policy. I have a lifetime (Jeep) powertrain warranty on my 08 JK and it has paid off. The manual transmission was popping out of 3rd gear, so they took it apart and fixed it. About 50k later it started doing it again, rarely, but definitely doing it. Plus it was making other noises, but otherwise worked fine. They not only put a new (factory raman) transmission in it but they gave me a loaner JK, as well. The new tranny had all the updates up to that year, as well, which I think was 2016 or 17. It also covered a new water pump.

I'm not sure how long the Maxcare warranties are now, but I'd certainly consider it. I did a $200 deductible lifetime MaxCare on my 2018 before they got rid of the lifetime warranties. I'm thinking about a Maxcare on my wife's 2021, too. But I do think these things have a more reliable powertrain than the old JK. However, they are also much more expensive if something goes wrong.

The other thing you could do is bank $3 grand, or put it into a liquid investment. Then pull it if something goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong, you have a bonus that has grown after whatever time you keep your Jeep. That might be a better bet in the absence of a lifetime warranty.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
And where is the engine coming from why can't they just rebuild that one easier to throw it away or scrap it and put a new one in I guess as far as labor. You know one thing if it was under warranty and maybe a year old they would overhaul it they would or fix it they wouldn't give you a new engine

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If it takes 28 days or longer, it'll be blamed on covid. Covid makes all laws irrelevant.
Issue is, that's probably not a lame excuse. I can't even find Special K on the shelves, let alone a 392 crate engine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And where is the engine coming from why can't they just rebuild that one easier to throw it away or scrap it and put a new one in I guess as far as labor. You know one thing if it was under warranty and maybe a year old they would overhaul it they would or fix it they wouldn't give you a new engine
They want to know why it failed. Plus, a new engine is less expensive to them than a rebuild. Remember, they get the new engine at cost.

This is a rare event so they want to know exactly what went wrong to prevent future occurrences. They don’t want this happening for many good reasons.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I can't even find Special K on the shelves, let alone a 392 crate engine.
Tangential to the original toilet paper shortage/rationing in Spring/Summer 2020, I noticed that certain staple and comfort foods were the first grocery items to get low on inventory, or recurringly sell out for brief periods. Examples include tuna and pasta, particularly egg noodles. Bread flour couldn't be found for love or money. Granulated sugar and all-purpose flour was pretty thin on the ground for a little while, too. A bit frustrating, but hardly surprising in the grand view of things.

It's been a while since I've seen a 6.4L in stock at the store. I'll have a look the next time I'm there. ;)

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Bummer, you you got a lemon. Trust me every car manufacture has lemons. I love my 392 it is my 6th Jeep and the best, car I have ever owned. Do not give up. If you can get them to replace the intire car do it. If they want to put a new engine in it get a SRT loaner !

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I read through all the posts but I didn't see where the dealership mentions the time frame for the replacement engine to be completed. I'm curious about this as I have a vehicle (not a Jeep) involved in a collision, only about $6K damages, sitting since October waiting "parts". The supply chain issues have affected everything under the sun. Regarding asking for an extended warranty, absolutely they need to pony up that much. I have a fleet buying program with my Jeep dealer for company cars, vans, etc. & fleet purchases get a 100K mile warranty automatically. So they can sure puke that up as a sweetener for you for your troubles.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Sorry to hear but that is why there is a warranty. All this talk by some of asking for this or that like you won some lottery is nonsense. There is no warranty for the warranty to be entitled to anything other than their obligation to fix it.

Hopefully it works out to some agreeable satisfaction for you. Granted they cannot give you back that new to you vehicle experience but you will have to find a peace with that.

Last edited:

Sponsored

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I picked up my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Recon earlier this week. I stopped by the local post office to pickup my mail and when I tried to start the vehicle it sputtered and killed. The dealer towed it to their shop and determined one of the pistons had failed. The dealer wants to put an new engine in the Jeep but I'm not to excited about that. I contacted Jeep about the problem and I'm hopeful they will make it right by replacing the jeep or buying it back. I really like the Jeep but I'm not looking forward to waiting another 4 month's to have a new one built. Any thoughts or suggestions?
My heart sank when I read this. Hopefully, they get this matter straightened out to your satisfaction. I thought my tailgate paint defect was bad, but a 392 engine takes the cake.

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
The dealer wants to put an new engine in the Jeep but I'm not to excited about that. ...... Any thoughts or suggestions?
ok so there is no one better versed in this than i am sadly - my last vehicle was a Jeep (Renegade 1.4T manual) - i sold it to carvana happily at 64k miles because in that time - at 30k the transmission had to be replaced, and then at 64k the engine died and had to be replaced (and continued to leak oil like CRAZY...good luck carvana!.)

FCA process to do this is a NIGHTMARE - the engine dies 1-31-21, i did not get my jeep back until 9-1-21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have to send corporate to do a complete inspection and authorize every single part that needs to be replaced and omit the ones that can be reused - before they even authorize the replacement under warranty. They are in no rush to send someone down, and blame covid for everything... (plus you have to take the risk of the cost to takedown the engine in the event they determine it was owner negligence/abuse/etc)

then they authorize it, then you wait for the parts....that are ALL on backorder......

then the dealer service dept dicks you around with excuse after excuse....lets be honest, they aren't qualified to do complete engine replacements

fight all you can to get a new jeep - you do NOT want to deal with a replacement - youll have squeaks, leaks, and never a confidence in it that you do with a new vehicle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ok so there is no one better versed in this than i am sadly - my last vehicle was a Jeep (Renegade 1.4T manual) - i sold it to carvana happily at 64k miles because in that time - at 30k the transmission had to be replaced, and then at 64k the engine died and had to be replaced (and continued to leak oil like CRAZY...good luck carvana!.)

FCA process to do this is a NIGHTMARE - the engine dies 1-31-21, i did not get my jeep back until 9-1-21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have to send corporate to do a complete inspection and authorize every single part that needs to be replaced and omit the ones that can be reused - before they even authorize the replacement under warranty. They are in no rush to send someone down, and blame covid for everything... (plus you have to take the risk of the cost to takedown the engine in the event they determine it was owner negligence/abuse/etc)

then they authorize it, then you wait for the parts....that are ALL on backorder......

then the dealer service dept dicks you around with excuse after excuse....lets be honest, they aren't qualified to do complete engine replacements

fight all you can to get a new jeep - you do NOT want to deal with a replacement - youll have squeaks, leaks, and never a confidence in it that you do with a new vehicle.
Much depends on the dealership. When I had the transmission replaced on my JK it was quick, simple, and they took great care of me. They did a great job on the replacement, too, with no issues. It took them 2 days. That's it. And I got a loaner, too. Which was impressive due to the Jeep having 116k miles on it. There was no requirement under my warranty to provide a loaner, either, but they did it.

This doesn't automatically mean OP will have any trouble out of the dealer or Jeep. I'm betting they get him squared quickly, being that the Jeep was so new and the failure so unusual. Once they get the new engine, I'm betting 3 days, tops, once they start turning wrenches.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
By way of example:
The short block in my YJ was replaced under warranty due to piston slap (i.e., incorrect cylinder boring). The vehicle was at the dealer for a week, during which time I drove a small Oldsmobile loaner. I don't recall if I surrendered the vehicle only after all of the required parts arrived.*

That same dealer, the one from whom the Jeep was purchased, the same one that welcomed me with open arms when I originally presented with pronounced engine knock, began to give me the runaround (regarding my request for resolution) when the same issue was diagnosed a second time. I didn't have the time or energy to fight them to the extent that seemed necessary. Having already lost faith in the vehicle, I sold it to another dealer on the other side of the state.

With all of that in mind, I'd counsel anyone facing a material mechanical issue with a still-under-warranty Jeep to stay frosty here, and remember that our prior good experiences with a dealer are no guarantee that they won't ever change.

*I wonder if the OP would have a comparatively brief wait time today, all things [censored] virus considered, if just an entire new engine would be the sum of his parts order (as opposed to a piecemeal list of components, which a failed piston might suggest.)

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

My grand Cherokee ecodiesel was replaced and the entire process took 8 days. During Covid. Everything went back together fine.

I think it just is a crap shoot of luck and dealer willingness.
Sponsored