DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If it is kept over 28 days for a repair then it falls under the lemon law guidelines.
States vary, but good point. Some states will still specify multiple repairs. But I think it is reasonable that nothing should take more than 28 days.

I'd bet that if it is done right, which it likely will be, a few days and a few hundred miles of stepping on that throttle and listening to that 392 music will cure any anxiety about it and make the experience a distant memory. Especially if they tack on a Max Care extended warranty.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
12 miles with no gas is a lot of pushing with the ignition on.
Pretty sure that mileage was put on at the factory. I watched my prior one come off the actual truck and it had 11 miles on the ODO.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you only knew how some of these new vehicles get driven off these trucks. I worked nights for over 18 years delivering gas and here is how it works: They climb into vehicle, start engine and rev the crap out of it, slam it into reverse, pin the throttle and put it in drive while it's in reverse pin the throttle and slam on the brakes as soon as the hit the parking spot in lot. Repeat. And these are the professional 18 wheelers paid by load.

Those hot shot drivers are worse. A lot of them (that are not vehicle transport specific carriers) do not know how to tie down vehicles. Some of them strap down strange places like control arms and other suspension components.

This is why it is important to have dealer put vehicle on lift and do your own complete PDI top to bottom inside and out. While it's in the bay also check the paint and body. It is not all that uncommon to get dings and scratches during delivery.
True, but most of the break-in and valve seating is actually done in these engines in their post-production check at the factory, before they are even shipped to the final assembly in Toledo. So they should handle whatever those knuckleheads do with them.

Mine was the first manual transmission JL delivered in the state of Indiana, and maybe in a couple surrounding states. When I got it I think I remember it having somewhere around 30 miles on it when other Jeeps coming on the same truck had 3 to 7 miles. I suspect our resident knucklehead driver took a spin in it, along with several dealership personnel. Whatever they did, it didn't bother it. It never behaved like an abused pup. But it does make you wonder.

I did go over mine with my salesman with a fine tooth comb. But they know me and knew I would do just that. They had her cleaned up and in perfect condition without so much as a stray piece of lint on the cloth.

I honestly think they did take it for a ride, but probably didn't abuse it at all. They are the best dealership I've experienced, after all.

But if they did, again, these things can take it, as long as they don't hit anything when joy riding.

OP
OP

Thunderbob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 392
Yeah, my 392 has about 7K on it. It is overdue. I've seen these pistons and they look like pancakes. Can a piston break? and if it does it probably means the pistons around it that are like it are going to break. Dang.
The Service Manager told me that Jeep wants that engine back ASAP to determine why it failed.

Sponsored

Iaintgonnatellu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m surprised they didn’t tell you they couldn’t duplicate the problem and give it back to you. Every time I took my jeep in for issues that was their response.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I’m surprised they didn’t tell you they couldn’t duplicate the problem and give it back to you. Every time I took my jeep in for issues that was their response.
Although a holed piston is hard to miss. :)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, some dealerships are good. Some are crap. This forum is a good place to start when looking for a better one.

I'm fortunate in that I've worked with a really good one since I bought my JK back in 07. I do know that in my AO, there are some that are not so good. Hell, there's one in a town nearby that can't even put their dealer stickers on straight. I see vehicles all over the place from that dealer with crooked stickers, including a pickup that had to cost north of $70k.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Well, some dealerships are good. Some are crap. This forum is a good place to start when looking for a better one.

I'm fortunate in that I've worked with a really good one since I bought my JK back in 07. I do know that in my AO, there are some that are not so good. Hell, there's one in a town nearby that can't even put their dealer stickers on straight. I see vehicles all over the place from that dealer with crooked stickers, including a pickup that had to cost north of $70k.
@Thunderbob,
That's good news that Stellantis wants your engine. That means they are concerned with something, if just investigating a manufacturing flaw or perhaps even a potential design defect. This means that you'll likely be given the option between a new (or refurbished) 392 or a new Jeep altogether.

However, I'd suggest a new Jeep, unless Jeep Powertrain Engineers/Mechanics do the replacement work directly. The dealership only hires rocket scientists that can't be trusted to perform any work properly under any circumstances. The time pressure and profit margins are just too intensive, especially with warranty work. Quality to most all dealership mechanics is sadly only a buzzword.

I have yet had a proper oil change on my JL, (four) of them now from the dealership. They always overfill my 3.6L by a quart even though I specifically state that unlike the 6 quarts on the JK 3.6L, the oil pan was redesigned on the JL. It only requires 5.

I immediately then drain and refill with full synthetic. I take advantage of their free oil changes as a free flush. Still, it's been four years since the rollout of the JL. Never yet have they put anything other than 6 quarts in my engine.

I would NEVER trust a dealership to install wiper blades properly let alone an engine.

@DanW,
As far as dealership stickers or badges go, unless they are willing to pay me to advertise for them, all dealership markings are removed from my vehicles as soon as possible. Some dealers even have the audacity to refuse to remove them before pick up. I physically have had to remove them myself before driving off the lot. Including the silly license plate frames.

I'm really surprised that more people don't take offense at the free advertising that these stickers and badges provide. Most of them are the most butt-ugly things you could ever have on your vehicle.

Yes, you can call me cynical towards dealership competence. I keep trying to trust them but they reliably keep disappointing.

Jay

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
As far as dealership stickers or badges go, unless they are willing to pay me to advertise for them, all dealership markings are removed from my vehicles as soon as possible.

I'm really surprised that more people don't take offense at the free advertising that these stickers and badges provide.
One of the first discussion trends I noticed on this forum, after joining it, was the average Wrangler owner's distaste for dealer decals and the like. Your comments are just the latest mention of it, Jay.

There's a similar dislike for accessory branding, no matter its price or location on the vehicle. I find both attitudes refreshing, which is easy to say since I'm of the same mind. 👍 E.g., I made sure to hand the cheap plastic dealer frame back to the salesman before he had a chance to sneak it on the vehicle while I was signing ppwrk.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One of the first discussion trends I noticed on this forum, after joining it, was the average Wrangler owner's distaste for dealer decals and the like. Your comments are just the latest mention of it, Jay.

There's a similar dislike for accessory branding, no matter its price or location on the vehicle. I find both attitudes refreshing, which is easy to say since I'm of the same mind. 👍 E.g., I made sure to hand the cheap plastic dealer frame back to the salesman before he had a chance to sneak it on the vehicle while I was signing ppwrk.
I wasn’t really commenting on the badges themselves but rather the dealerships that don’t even care enough to do it right.

Fortunately my dealership only uses license plate frames and asks you before installing them.

Most certified Jeep techs could do that engine swap well. It is not as hard a job as many think. I’d talk to the service manager and tech to get a feel for them first, though.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Ok now that I'm, totally freaked out about taking delivery of my 392 XR after waiting 161 days for it, what is the best FACTORY warranty I should add to it. As I will have this for life.

Last edited:

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
My thoughts exactly. The dealer has offered to make it right without any hassle. How can this vehicle be considered a lemon based on this one interaction? People tend to pull that arrow from the quiver way too quickly.

That said, I empathize with the OP. That would take the air out of my tires.
The OP probably paid over 80,000 for his wrangler, so I wouldn't except anything other than a new vehicle.

R44pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB GLC63S, BMW M3, Hydro 392XR, Braptor
Of course you can "demand" whatever you want, as others are suggesting, but the lemon law in your states clearly that they are only required to repair it.

In the event they cannot, then you can have them replace it. They get 4 tries to fix it, unless it is related to steering, brakes of other repairs which make the car possibly fatal.
However, if the repair takes longer than 30 business days, then it also triggers the lemon law.

Here is the link to the pamphlet in your state:
https://www.ag.idaho.gov/content/uploads/2018/04/IdahoLemonLaw.pdf

Given the relatively simple nature of the Jeep, I would not be too worried about the shop doing the swap. To be honest, it's not like they can be any worse than the ding dongs working at the factory.
Ask them to go ahead and tighten up all the bolts underneath while they are at it.
Either way, best of luck to you.
I bought a motorcycle last year, it was a first year for the bike. At 250 miles the engine blew and it turned out to be a somewhat common problem with that new model. The company wanted to replace the engine but there are three issues with that. 1. There was a 4-6 week wait for a new engine. 2. Since this was a new model, my bike would be a Guinea pig for a dealer who’s never replaced an engine. 3. The serial numbers wouldn’t match which would cause all sorts of future headaches with the DMV, future owners and resale value. In the end it took a lot of fighting with the company on my part (the dealer was useless, wouldn’t go to bat for me), but I eventually got them to buy the bike back and I went on to buy another brand.

R44pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB GLC63S, BMW M3, Hydro 392XR, Braptor
Last edited: