Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I agree with your concerns. I only put 5 of the 25 miles on the Jeep so I'm sure it had a few test rides. Also, I'll bet the dealer fills it with the cheapest gas before delivery.
The dealer where I bought my Jeep gave me a voucher for a full tank of gas good at a nearby gas station. In my case, since I had a 2.0T it was filled free of charge with 93.

Either way, I'd not be concerned about what gas in on a low compression 392, particularly during the break-in period.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
When the op goes to sell the vehicle at some point, it will show up on carfax that the motor was replaced and he will lose residual value vs a car that is original. Everybody knows that! Further more, maybe biden did throw a bunch of rivets into the intake as he usually doesn't know where he is!
Carfax isn't a thing in all countries.
I didn't realise you personally knew Biden. I hope he is doing OK though.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I'm not concerned about the new engine. It's all of the teardown and reassembly that bothers me. Everything will have to come out of the engine compartment to get that 6.4 out. I wouldn't be as concerned if I could choose my own mechanic.
I think they owe you a Hellcat engine at this point.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I’d act very hesitant on the replacement motor and then hit them with the following:

“Well, I don’t really like the idea of an engine replacement, but, I’ll go for it if you throw in a lifetime warranty I suppose”

“BTW I’ll need that warranty in writing thanks”

That’s exactly what I’d do.

You’ve got them by the balls now, take advantage of it.

Something to think about anyways..

Hope every works out for you I’m sure that it will!

Sponsored

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
So how does a piston fail, I've watched the highly automated assembly on the V6, so V8 must be as well ?
Because of the highly repetitive nature of assembly, there must be other 392s in the assembly line with this fault.
Exactly what this failure is, how it occurred of the utmost interest !
Yeah, my 392 has about 7K on it. It is overdue. I've seen these pistons and they look like pancakes. Can a piston break? and if it does it probably means the pistons around it that are like it are going to break. Dang.

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
I'm not concerned about the new engine. It's all of the teardown and reassembly that bothers me. Everything will have to come out of the engine compartment to get that 6.4 out. I wouldn't be as concerned if I could choose my own mechanic.
I would be worried also. Have a 2018 JL Sport-S. Dealer D44 rear axle replacement was a nighmare. I had to take it back at least 3-4 times because of all the mistakes they made including using a ball pein hammer on the face of the rear rotors and installing the track bar upside down. Look for my thread on it. One thing I didnt post was the dent in the rear quarter the mechanic punched because of his frustration of me bringing it back so many times---I have some nerve wanting my Jeep repaired correctly! They wouldn't fix the dent and I still look at it every day. I KNOW the mechanic did it, but they deny it. How else does a dent appear in a quarter panel right next to the driver's door at nearly shoulder level between when I drop it off and pick it up? Been quoted $150 for a dentless repair. The idea of letting those same cretins replace an engine makes me cringe. I'd rather back it down a boat ramp and watch it disappear.

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
I picked up my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Recon earlier this week. I stopped by the local post office to pickup my mail and when I tried to start the vehicle it sputtered and killed. The dealer towed it to their shop and determined one of the pistons had failed. The dealer wants to put an new engine in the Jeep but I'm not to excited about that. I contacted Jeep about the problem and I'm hopeful they will make it right by replacing the jeep or buying it back. I really like the Jeep but I'm not looking forward to waiting another 4 month's to have a new one built. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I'd ask for either a replacement vehicle or, (much) better yet, for a Hellcat engine (salivating). Going to all the trouble of replacing a stock Jeep part with the same one is the definition of mediocrity.

https://www.allpar.com/threads/retr...percharged-hellcat-v8.229930/#post-1085224028

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
Same. Luckily mine didn't have to go on a train, and I told them not to put gas in it. Showed up with like 12 miles or something, I forget. But yeah. I put the first gas in it.
12 miles with no gas is a lot of pushing with the ignition on.

Kevin32199

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 Door
If they do
So how does a piston fail, I've watched the highly automated assembly on the V6, so V8 must be as well ?
Because of the highly repetitive nature of assembly, there must be other 392s in the assembly line with this fault.
Exactly what this failure is, how it occurred of the utmost interest !
When the dealer replaced my D44 rear axle, they didnt open it up. They sent it back to the factory for analysis, so no one ever found out what the failure was. I suspect this will be handled similarly.

Sponsored

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I picked up my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Recon earlier this week. I stopped by the local post office to pickup my mail and when I tried to start the vehicle it sputtered and killed. The dealer towed it to their shop and determined one of the pistons had failed. The dealer wants to put an new engine in the Jeep but I'm not to excited about that. I contacted Jeep about the problem and I'm hopeful they will make it right by replacing the jeep or buying it back. I really like the Jeep but I'm not looking forward to waiting another 4 month's to have a new one built. Any thoughts or suggestions?
First of all, sorry this happened. Unfortunately with any item there will be a small number of failures but it doesn't make it feel any better when you are one of the unlucky ones. Now, for me personally, I would push for the new Jeep with the extended warranty. Reason being the engine replacment will more than likely show on the Carfax. If you plan on keeping the Jeep for life, maybe not a big deal. If you change vehicles every couple years, then the potential for reduced value when selling or trading may come into play. Personally, I change cars way to often and know from experience how sensitive some buyers are to what is on a Carfax. Just my two cents. Best of luck and keep us posted.

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If they do

When the dealer replaced my D44 rear axle, they didnt open it up. They sent it back to the factory for analysis, so no one ever found out what the failure was. I suspect this will be handled similarly.
I agree, if the factory is not already aware of the cause. If not, I would wager an RCA is going to be performed with a quickness.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Robert I too am very sorry this happened so soon after waiting a long time for your rig.

I’d want a whole new engine and a nice loaner for the meantime. Good luck and keep us posted.
I would do the same thing. A good mechanic will do a better job than the factory installing it. As long as you don't have to wait. R&R of a long block is no more than a day and a half job. I would give them three days to get it done.

If they keep the vehicle even one day more than 28 days file for lemon law. Whatever you do don't drive it off the lot if it's after the 28 day period. If you do it's yours.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Worth a check, but usually lemon laws cover multiple failures in a short period of time, not just one.
My thoughts exactly. The dealer has offered to make it right without any hassle. How can this vehicle be considered a lemon based on this one interaction? People tend to pull that arrow from the quiver way too quickly.

That said, I empathize with the OP. That would take the air out of my tires.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
onto a transport truck,
If you only knew how some of these new vehicles get driven off these trucks. I worked nights for over 18 years delivering gas and here is how it works: They climb into vehicle, start engine and rev the crap out of it, slam it into reverse, pin the throttle and put it in drive while it's in reverse pin the throttle and slam on the brakes as soon as the hit the parking spot in lot. Repeat. And these are the professional 18 wheelers paid by load.

Those hot shot drivers are worse. A lot of them (that are not vehicle transport specific carriers) do not know how to tie down vehicles. Some of them strap down strange places like control arms and other suspension components.

This is why it is important to have dealer put vehicle on lift and do your own complete PDI top to bottom inside and out. While it's in the bay also check the paint and body. It is not all that uncommon to get dings and scratches during delivery.
Sponsored