Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I picked up my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Recon earlier this week. I stopped by the local post office to pickup my mail and when I tried to start the vehicle it sputtered and killed. The dealer towed it to their shop and determined one of the pistons had failed. The dealer wants to put an new engine in the Jeep but I'm not to excited about that.

I contacted Jeep about the problem and I'm hopeful they will make it right by replacing the jeep or buying it back. I really like the Jeep but I'm not looking forward to waiting another 4 month's to have a new one built.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
If the diagnosis is correct, you have my empathy.

My 1995 YJ required short block replacement perhaps 3 months after purchase, due to a condition called piston slap (i.e., incorrect cylinder boring). When the problem began to reoccur a few months later, I lost faith in the vehicle and sold it to a Jeep dealer.

25 years later, my 2021 JLU has been perfect. I hope you obtain a timely resolution to this matter.
Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
that sucks, unless you know somebody or make it national news, buy back is highly not gonna happen.
Trust a dealer under paid no pride full of shit mechanic to do the swap is shit ton of faith. Wondering how many clips will break and how many wires get pinched and bolts gone missing.

I did a clutch recall and they left wires hoses just hanging and missed a bell housing bolt. And they cracked the upper oil pan…….

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I picked up my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Recon earlier this week. I stopped by the local post office to pickup my mail and when I tried to start the vehicle it sputtered and killed. The dealer towed it to their shop and determined one of the pistons had failed. The dealer wants to put an new engine in the Jeep but I'm not to excited about that. I contacted Jeep about the problem and I'm hopeful they will make it right by replacing the jeep or buying it back. I really like the Jeep but I'm not looking forward to waiting another 4 month's to have a new one built. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I would opt for a new engine and best loaner car they have and request the monthly payments be paid back for each month the jeep is in the shop.

diesel2022

First Name
Barney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford 150
that sucks, unless you know somebody or make it national news, buy back is highly not gonna happen.
Trust a dealer under paid no pride full of shit mechanic to do the swap is shit ton of faith. Wondering how many clips will break and how many wires get pinched and bolts gone missing.

I did a clutch recall and they left wires hoses just hanging and missed a bell housing bolt. And they cracked the upper oil pan…….
REPLACE JEEP THE WITH A NEW ONE

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
I can't see you fighting for a new vehicle just because the engine went bad.
It's probably going to be your quickest and most effective option.

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Jeep VIN matches motors? Where is my VIN stamped onto the motor?

How does the current US administration have anything to do with OP's problems? Did President Biden come onto factory floor and throw an handful of rivets into the intake?
When the op goes to sell the vehicle at some point, it will show up on carfax that the motor was replaced and he will lose residual value vs a car that is original. Everybody knows that! Further more, maybe biden did throw a bunch of rivets into the intake as he usually doesn't know where he is!

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Let them fix it. Not all dealerships suck. The whole situation is awful.

There is no difference if it happened at 25 miles or 25000 miles, it sucks.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Couldn't you have cancelled the contract? In NJ you have 3 days to cancel a contract.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So how does a piston fail, I've watched the highly automated assembly on the V6, so V8 must be as well ?
Because of the highly repetitive nature of assembly, there must be other 392s in the assembly line with this fault.
Exactly what this failure is, how it occurred of the utmost interest !

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
You have to keep in mind, that it's a mechanical object. You will always have a small percentage of early failures, and if you build enough of something, it will seem like more. The key is, getting through it with the system. I think you have every likelihood of being able to negotiate this to a solid outcome, this is a flagship for Jeep, and their most expensive model. Get with Jeep care and let them help you find a resolution. I'd be surprised if they stonewall, this has the possibility of really good or really bad P.R. for them. See what kind of a solution they're willing to come up with.

I work on cars for a living, have worked at a machine shop and built resto, vintage, hot rod and race engines, actually attended a year long race engine building school, and still fabricate my own stuff. A lot of us in the industry are gear heads, you have to be to do this for a living.

By the way, please don't denigrate dealer techs, we all work for a living, and most of us care about the product we put out. The only guy that's going to touch your motor replacement, will probably be a master tech with lots of years of experience. Someone that's been doing it awhile, and expects to keep doing it.

I've done this type of stuff before, and while I can only speak for myself, I try to put every bolt, nut and wire tie back to "as new". My goal on something like this is to leave no trace. In other words, you'd be hard pressed to tell the motor was ever out of the car. Tell them you want their best guy on it.

Rubicon_Wrangler_JL_2018

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rwaltonphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Recon earlier this week. I stopped by the local post office to pickup my mail and when I tried to start the vehicle it sputtered and killed. The dealer towed it to their shop and determined one of the pistons had failed. The dealer wants to put an new engine in the Jeep but I'm not to excited about that. I contacted Jeep about the problem and I'm hopeful they will make it right by replacing the jeep or buying it back. I really like the Jeep but I'm not looking forward to waiting another 4 month's to have a new one built. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Personally, I'd talk with FCA about that before coming here for advice. Not to throw shade on anyone, but I'd start with FCA for something like that, especially with only 25 miles on it. I'm sure they will work with you on that, if not, then I'd contact an attorney, but shouldn't have to get to tha tpoint.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I think a cooperative interaction with the dealership GM and Service Manager and Master Tech who will do the work is the best course of action.

Ask for a meeting with all three and have them describe to you how they will approach the job and get them commit that they will dedicate the time, space, resources to have it done right. And that if any issues happen following the job, you will get priority.

Ask them to have the Jeep regional GM involved to make sure you get priority for the engine and any parts needed.

Get a good loaner. Let them do the job. Evaluate the fixed product. If you are not satisfied get them to work on it till fixed right. Then decide if you want to keep the Jeep or not.

I think you will find that a cooperative relationship with a lot of upfront discussion on expectations is usually the right course of action.

I can guarantee you that if the same failure happened at 5,000 miles or 10,000 miles, you'd feel equally frustrated. The fact that it happened at 25 miles is really not that relevant.

Good luck.

OP
OP

Thunderbob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 392
Probably has no bearing here, but I have a 392 on order and I am worried about who’s driving it and how before I get it. It goes from the factory, onto a train, off the train into a waiting lot, onto a transport truck, then at the dealer it needs to be driven a few miles for prep. All those strange hands on my steering wheel and strange feet on my accelerator make me real nervous. If they floor it a few times or put in cheap gas it could damage a brand new engine.
I agree with your concerns. I only put 5 of the 25 miles on the Jeep so I'm sure it had a few test rides. Also, I'll bet the dealer fills it with the cheapest gas before delivery.
Sponsored