OP

Thunderbob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 392
And where is the engine coming from why can't they just rebuild that one easier to throw it away or scrap it and put a new one in I guess as far as labor. You know one thing if it was under warranty and maybe a year old they would overhaul it they would or fix it they wouldn't give you a new engine
The Service Manager is saying it will be a crate engine if I choose to go that direction. Jeep wants that motor back so they can determine why it failed.
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

The Service Manager is saying it will be a crate engine if I choose to go that direction. Jeep wants that motor back so they can determine why it failed.
I have had to have a hemi motor swapped in my pick up about 8 years ago at the dealer. Once they determined it was an internal problem they just swapped a new create in. Took two days to swap it out with the new one. Motor lasted me another 140k before I sold it. Lemon law will not come into effect unless it’s multiple failures and or the dealer and manufacturer isn’t working with you. If is was me I would see what the motor lead time is if it’s within a week or two let them install it and if your unhappy trade it back in. For a new one

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
The Service Manager told me that Jeep wants that engine back ASAP to determine why it failed.
I apologize for my weak sarcasm being taken seriously. There are reasons a piston might fail and the rest are fine, such as too little ring end gap and it doesn't mean any other pistons are bound to fail. Your piston failure has nothing to do with the design of this well proven engine. 100% perfection is not here yet and likely we couldn't afford it anyway. There is no way to make all the parts perfect all the time, that's why we have warranties. I know it sucks when you are the owner the new vehicle with the failed part but that is one of the risks we take in this life for the pleasure of owning a new jeep.....or any other new vehicle. As far as the pancake remark, these new modern engines don't have much for piston skirts, they all look a little short, like pancakes, to my old eyes. Best wishes for getting this fixed to your satisfaction.

R44pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB GLC63S, BMW M3, Hydro 392XR, Braptor
The laws in Florida are different though. It makes no difference what you "demand". They only need to do what is required by law. You can ask, but they are not obligated to do anything other that what is written in the law or warranty.

Also, the reduction of value argument may hold less water in the limit production, very high demand 392. A normal wrangler may be different. Some people would be more likely to buy a Jeep with a new engine.
You are correct, but sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It wasn’t easy getting the bike bought back and I had to go through many layers of management over a three month time period. Wasn’t easy, but for my piece of mind it was worth it.

Sponsored

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Recon earlier this week. I stopped by the local post office to pickup my mail and when I tried to start the vehicle it sputtered and killed. The dealer towed it to their shop and determined one of the pistons had failed. The dealer wants to put an new engine in the Jeep but I'm not to excited about that. I contacted Jeep about the problem and I'm hopeful they will make it right by replacing the jeep or buying it back. I really like the Jeep but I'm not looking forward to waiting another 4 month's to have a new one built. Any thoughts or suggestions?
The ball is in your court...however I would opt for the NEW Engine with a complete vehicle extended 100,000 mile warranty....Jeep should jump at that.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
My wife's jeep 2020 never ran right since new they replaced the motor 25 miles in the second motor blew up i wouldn't own another jeep if the paid me. My neighbors jeep caught fire its a 2021 just sitting in the driveway his had only 6500 miles on it they determined it was the start stop battery which I didn't know was lithium so you can keep jeeps got a 4runner never a problem.
I don't think the problem is jeep here. Lol. Between motors blowing up or jeeps catching fire, I'm gonna say you're the only thing in common there.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Putting a new engine in depreciates the value of the Jeep significantly.
It barely impacted Porsche values since they handled it appropriately. It will not significantly impact a Wrangler and a transferable long term warranty included should moot any of it.

The only exception I can think of might be in a collector’s eyes, but I don’t think that’s what we’re talking about here.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Could be, but an extended and transferable warrantee would fix that. If there were a 10 year/125K warranty on the engine that could be transferred to a new owner then most people would not be concerned about an engine replacement. Also, I would hope most would see a warranty replacement as not being all that bad. Now if the job is done and then the Jeep is up for sale shortly after then many might suspect a problem....
Not sure where the data is to support that claim that a new engine depreciates a Wrangler significantly . 2014 Porsche 911 GT3’s did lose value but only those that were bought back from owners and thus had branded titles. The ones that were not, did not materially depreciate more than the next year because Porsche gave a 10 year unlimited mileage warranty on the new engine.

I would expect some depreciation if no lengthened warranty is offered.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Putting a new engine in depreciates the value of the Jeep significantly.
Agree.

Out of curiosity, and not wanting to suggest anything fraudulent, how does the next owner know about the engine replacement? If not the original owner, what is the source of the repair disclosure (other than the Golden Rule)?

Sponsored

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
Out of curiosity, and not wanting to suggest anything fraudulent, how does the next owner know about the engine replacement? If not the original owner, what is the source of the repair disclosure (other than the Golden Rule)?
Carfax (or a like service) and other service records.

There is no reason it should be a hit in value to see a service record of a new engine at 25 miles on a vehicle with say 25,000 additional miles on it at selling or trade in.

As far as VIN's not "matching", it's not a 60's muscle car and the "official" information update will be handled by the manufacturer. It's not like a shade tree mechanic is swapping the motor out on a Sunday using a stolen motor in their neighbors garage. Sheesh, the things people jump to!!!!

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Carfax (or a like service) and other service records.

There is no reason it should be a hit in value to see a service record of a new engine at 25 miles on a vehicle with say 25,000 additional miles on it at selling or trade in.

As far as VIN's not "matching", it's not a 60's muscle car and the "official" information update will be handled by the manufacturer. It's not like a shade tree mechanic is swapping the motor out on a Sunday using a stolen motor in their neighbors garage. Sheesh, the things people jump to!!!!
Carfax will only show if it is reported to them by dealer. This talk of depreciation is silly. A new engine will be just fine.

Sam

MerlinsGarage

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21RUB392, 97Vipr,14Porsc 911,06Ford GT,64Vette etc
Thunderbob,
Sorry for your headache. I've been in your position twice. First (Viper) was corrected with Lemon law. Failed to start 5X and 20 days in the shop. The second case a factory order Explorer blew the engine @ 450 miles due to main caps not tightened (assembled in Mexico). The regional manager pushed a replacement motor (it's just a module swap...hahaha) and 100k B2B warranty. I forced the issue and had them reorder me the same vehicle. They gave us a loaner until the motor was replaced and gave us back the repaired Explorer. That thing was horrible. It was back in the shop 3 additional times for electronic gremlins, limp home mode etc and engine light was on more than it was off not to mention the squeeks and leaks. The factory assembly of a vehicle is more exacting and comprehensive than a tear-down replace/repair and reassemble of a major component. I don't care how easy they say it is to preform.
Have them order the same vehicle FOR YOU, with the same final price - no out money!! They can and will put a priority on it especially if you are given a loaner. And you SHOULD be given a loaner. Bring the fight back here if Stella gives you any grief........................ ;)

MerlinsGarage

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21RUB392, 97Vipr,14Porsc 911,06Ford GT,64Vette etc
Carfax will only show if it is reported to them by dealer. This talk of depreciation is silly. A new engine will be just fine.

Sam
What you are referring to is "Diminished Value" and it is real. And the engine swap will be documented in the maintenance history. When I comes to trading or selling outright any blemish will be an aspect of concern. Ask any pro buyer at auctions. There is a price on flags.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
The vehicle will always have a stigma associated with it and the VIN number of the engine will never match the VIN number of the vehicle the proud owner of this vehicle should not have to deal with this. Jeep should step up and simply replace the vehicle
This will only matter if selling fairly new vehicle. 5 or more years down the road it will not make a difference.
V8 will not be awailable in the near future (in the Wrangler) and it will sell for premium no matter what.
Sponsored