Sponsored

Jeep won't cover engine if i do my own oil changes.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
The Title of this Thread is old, but it is so bad and ridiculous, that it is funny..LOL WTH kind of a Dealer, would make that statement..:(
Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
You think you got it bad... Last year after reading about that 1 quart overfill being a common thing, I spoke to the service counter guy as I was dropping my Jeep for an oil change (I got lifetime free oil change).

So I just said I wanted to be certain that their techs knew that the 3.6 JL only took 5 quarts of oil as opposed to the JK that needed 6quarts. His answer '' Our technicians are trained professionals, not Walmart high school dropout kids, so rest assured that they know the difference between the two''.

A few weeks after the oil change, I decided to check the oil level as part of my routine, even tho I had only ran a few errands since the oil change. It was WAY WAY up on the stick. So I was certain they had put too much oil.

I took my pan and measuring cup, dove under the jeep and drained 1 quart of oil. Oil was still high on the dipstick. Did some more research and read that it might be that I have the wrong dipstick, since the 2.0L dipstick isn't the same lenght and maybe they screwed up at the factory. but a guy with a 3.6L JL measured his dipstick and I had the good one.

So I said fack-it. Took my wife's car, got 5 quarts of synthetic and a good filter and decided to do my own oil change right away.

I drained 6.5 quarts out of the engine ON TOP of the quart I had already drained, adding up to 7.5 Quarts of oil !!!!

From then on, I decided that they could shove their lifetime free oil changes where I think and will continue doing my own oil changes. It's the only way to know exactly what oil and how much you have in there.

Honestly, that dealer has screwed up so many times, that I am seriously thinking that they sabotage the vehicles they work on to ensure they won't run out of work.

Before you ask if I went back there to confront them, No.... To this day, I know I would most likely lose it and do things that I'd regret.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
You think you got it bad... Last year after reading about that 1 quart overfill being a common thing, I spoke to the service counter guy as I was dropping my Jeep for an oil change (I got lifetime free oil change).

So I just said I wanted to be certain that their techs knew that the 3.6 JL only took 5 quarts of oil as opposed to the JK that needed 6quarts. His answer '' Our technicians are trained professionals, not Walmart high school dropout kids, so rest assured that they know the difference between the two''.

A few weeks after the oil change, I decided to check the oil level as part of my routine, even tho I had only ran a few errands since the oil change. It was WAY WAY up on the stick. So I was certain they had put too much oil.

I took my pan and measuring cup, dove under the jeep and drained 1 quart of oil. Oil was still high on the dipstick. Did some more research and read that it might be that I have the wrong dipstick, since the 2.0L dipstick isn't the same lenght and maybe they screwed up at the factory. but a guy with a 3.6L JL measured his dipstick and I had the good one.

So I said fack-it. Took my wife's car, got 5 quarts of synthetic and a good filter and decided to do my own oil change right away.

I drained 6.5 quarts out of the engine ON TOP of the quart I had already drained, adding up to 7.5 Quarts of oil !!!!

From then on, I decided that they could shove their lifetime free oil changes where I think and will continue doing my own oil changes. It's the only way to know exactly what oil and how much you have in there.

Honestly, that dealer has screwed up so many times, that I am seriously thinking that they sabotage the vehicles they work on to ensure they won't run out of work.

Before you ask if I went back there to confront them, No.... To this day, I know I would most likely lose it and do things that I'd regret.
I would assume that most of the dealers service department use either new people or trainee to do oil changes they ain’t gonna use a service tech who make a high amount of $$$$ per hour to handle a oil change, very probable on complimentary or free jeep wave ones

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Has anyone experienced and documented damage to their engine that can be attributed to overfilling 1 quart by a dealer? What type of damage?
Unless things have radically changed +/- 1 qt means nothing. Years ago when oil pans were small 5 qts sometimes less
I guess I'm not as worried about the whole warranty thing. Push comes to shove, once an arbitrator/court is involved, they have to prove there was improper/no maintenance AND that was causal to the failure. A dealership just doesn't need that level of problem. If they can sell a warranty claim to the manufacturer, it's in their best interest, rather than fight the customer who is serious. Everyone just has too much to lose to push it to the legal level. So proof of any sale of oil, filter, etc., is pretty much just circumstantial evidence anyway.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product. In the case of motor vehicles, new car manufacturers have ignored these conditions outlined in Magnuson-Moss and have misled consumers to believe that they must have dealer service shops install only original equipment replacement parts or fear having their new car warranty voided.

Furthermore, many states have consumer protection laws more stringent than Magnuson-Moss federal law.

I've had more things go wrong taking vehicles to the dealer than from my maintenance. I'll leave it at that.
What you say is true. However, the fact that you came with a broken _______ becomes proof itself that either you or the non-OEM component failed therefore it ain't covered. BUT wait you push on and then toss out the" Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act". Think you are holding an ACE, you are in for a shock! The dealer looks at you and you have a modified vehicle and the dealer is under NO obligation to work on a modified vehicle that the dealer did not do the modifications. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act has more holes than swiss cheese. Where it does shine is when in conjunction with the Lemon laws.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Unless things have radically changed +/- 1 qt means nothing. Years ago when oil pans were small 5 qts sometimes less

What you say is true. However, the fact that you came with a broken _______ becomes proof itself that either you or the non-OEM component failed therefore it ain't covered. BUT wait you push on and then toss out the" Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act". Think you are holding an ACE, you are in for a shock! The dealer looks at you and you have a modified vehicle and the dealer is under NO obligation to work on a modified vehicle that the dealer did not do the modifications. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act has more holes than swiss cheese. Where it does shine is when in conjunction with the Lemon laws.
Been down that road. A maker had to buy back a truck of mine after having screwed up their own maintenance on 3 attempts, an arbitration, followed by yet another attempt and finally another arbitration.

I just don't have any fear of voided warranties and dealers. I'm not living that way. I do my own work when it's to my advantage and modify my vehicles to suit me, not them. YMMV

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Been down that road. A maker had to buy back a truck of mine after having screwed up their own maintenance on 3 attempts, an arbitration, followed by yet another attempt and finally another arbitration.

I just don't have any fear of voided warranties and dealers. I'm not living that way. I do my own work when it's to my advantage and modify my vehicles to suit me, not them. YMMV
X2, I do most of my own work often even when it would be covered by a warranty, I would rather do it myself

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The Title of this Thread is old, but it is so bad and ridiculous, that it is funny..LOL WTH kind of a Dealer, would make that statement..:(
It always seems to be a roll of the dice as far as dealership reactions. For that reason for the 1st 60K miles of any of my Jeeps I let the dealership change the oil every 7K miles and then every 3.5K miles between I do it at home. This way I have them on record for any engine warranty work but also keep my oil clean since it's already pretty black after 3.5K miles after a change.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
It always seems to be a roll of the dice as far as dealership reactions. For that reason for the 1st 60K miles of any of my Jeeps I let the dealership change the oil every 7K miles and then every 3.5K miles between I do it at home. This way I have them on record for any engine warranty work but also keep my oil clean since it's already pretty black after 3.5K miles after a change.
It really is a shame, that Dealers service Departments vary so much, as to taking care of Jeep Customers. I am very fortunate, because the Dealer that I use over here in Phoenix, is very mod friendly, and so far after many years of using them, I am satisfied with them. They are not perfect, but I believe they are one of the better ones, based on what I hear on these Forums.
Sponsored