Sponsored

Jeep won't cover engine if i do my own oil changes.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I'm in Canada. I had this same conversation with my shop just yesterday. No one seemed to really know for sure, but the consensus was that if you do your own oil changes, there is no way to truly prove that you did it OR that you did it properly. You can show receipts for products (oil and filter) and SAY that you changed the oil... but did you really? It could still be sitting in your garage unopened.

If your vehicle is under warranty, the only real way for sure to make sure that everything is covered is to have a shop do the work for you. I don't think it matters what shop (doesn't have to be dealer), so long as you have a receipt stating that it was done (not just products purchased).

From someone who enjoys changing her own oil, I sympathize with you on this one. It kills me to have someone else do it when I could easily do it myself.
I also call BS. They can sample the oil, check levels, check wear, etc. if they want to prove maintenance wasn't done. Its just a means to get money out of the car after it is sold.
Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
My Jeep is a 2020. My first oil change I did myself a bit early as I Drove my JLUR across the country in December. My Dealer called me last week to remind me that my first service is at 8000km or 6 months, whichever comes first. I'm at 12000km now. I went into the dealer and asked what the service entails and they said it was an oil change. I mentioned I did it myself, logged it and kept the receipts for proof. The lady behind the counter proceeded to tell me that if I have any engine problems down the road that jeep will not cover any warranty work on it. It's the 3.6l. I'm not worried and thinking it may be BS but not sure. Anybody have any experience with this? I'm in Canada.
Total bs

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I also call BS. They can sample the oil, check levels, check wear, etc. if they want to prove maintenance wasn't done. Its just a means to get money out of the car after it is sold.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that having a receipt from a shop is easier than claiming to have done it yourself. I'm sure they can, but they likely won't.

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4-door)
Note that this was only if an American bought a Canadian vehicle. It doesn’t apply to a Canadian owning a Canadian sold vehicle while driving in USA.
I know we're relatively off-topic from the original post but in 2016 I bought a 2014 Rubicon here in the US that had started life as a Canadian model. The Jeep was still under warranty and interestingly my local Jeep dealer originally fixed a couple things under warranty then informed me if I needed additional warranty work I'd have to bring it to a dealer/service department in Canada. Apparently they got their wrist slapped and had to eat the cost of those repairs they did.

*As an aside the local (non-Jeep) dealer I bought it from had the speedometer cluster sent out to be converted from KPH to MPH. Once that was fixed the only thing that you'd notice was the temperature knob on the climate control was in Celsius. Apparently this smaller dealer specialized in bringing Canadian models back into the US.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
My understanding is that warranty is honored across the border as long as the vehicle is registered in the same country where it was purchased. This means that a Canadian can visit the US and get the Jeep serviced there without issue and vice-versa.

However, if you buy the Jeep in Canada --or the US-- and take it across the border to have it registered, the warranty becomes null and void.

Of course there are exceptions for military personnel and other special categories who can demonstrate a legitimate reason for buying the Jeep in one country and registering it across the border.
I have managed to get the factory warranty re-instated when transferred for work to another country. They typically have a process where you show it was legally registered in new country and pay a transfer fee. You also qualify for the remaining warranty offered in the country it is now registered, which can be better or worse depending. You may need to pay for localization as well.

I had this happen when 2 Audi's came with us from Canada, to Germany, to the US. Warranty in all 3 countries was honored. The e-records were good fun as started in French, then German, and then American English (different from the posh shit the brits speak). Also because the first two countries are metric it caused some confusion when coming into the US but they got that sorted.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I'm in Canada. I had this same conversation with my shop just yesterday. No one seemed to really know for sure, but the consensus was that if you do your own oil changes, there is no way to truly prove that you did it OR that you did it properly. You can show receipts for products (oil and filter) and SAY that you changed the oil... but did you really? It could still be sitting in your garage unopened.

If your vehicle is under warranty, the only real way for sure to make sure that everything is covered is to have a shop do the work for you. I don't think it matters what shop (doesn't have to be dealer), so long as you have a receipt stating that it was done (not just products purchased).

From someone who enjoys changing her own oil, I sympathize with you on this one. It kills me to have someone else do it when I could easily do it myself.
Put all the old oil and filters in a bucket and take it to the dealership for recycling. Take a picture of them doing so. Two problems solved with one go!

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Put all the old oil and filters in a bucket and take it to the dealership for recycling. Take a picture of them doing so. Two problems solved with one go!
That's proof of disposal. I guess one could document with pictures of the actual oil change, but what a pain in the rear. I don't want ANYONE touching my Jeep, but I do have an auto guy I trust so I'll be going to him until the warranty is over. It's a risk I guess (to do your own), but for me it's just easier.

Dalma

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon - Bikini Pearl
I recommend that you contact FCA at the following for clarification. The documentation only states that you are required to perform maintenance work as outlined in their maintance guide

Customer Assistance Centre FCA Canada Inc. P.O. Box 1621 Windsor, Ontario N9A 4H6 1-800-465-2001

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
This website with a “.ca” designation may help. It seems to be Canadian specific and outlines a process that seem to be quite in line with the US.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/how-to-keep-your-warranty-while-doing-it-yourself

I would also check the Canadian version of the owners manual...... does it have an entire section that outlines for the OWNER which oil filter, oil type to use? Does it tell you how much to put in? Does it tell you the frequency that it needs to be done? If so, it would be a tough argument to make that you could pay your neighbor to change your oil or pay someone else, or take it to the dealer but you can’t do it yourself USING THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT JEEP IS GIVING THE OWNER (you)...... I doubt very much that the dealer or some oil shop would ever look at the OWNERS manual for guidance.

With all that info in there, If changing your own oil voids the warranty I think that there would be a good case to make that Jeep should literally cut out 5 pages of stuff and simply state: “to maintain your warranty here in Canada, you must go to a certified shop for an oil change and keep all records.......”.......

Last edited:

Dalma

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon - Bikini Pearl
I think that you will find that there are several hundred of us
.ca folks here. Eh?

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at 13K and had 2 dealer applied oil changes at no cost. I'm running a '19 Sahara JLU with the 2.0 Turbo. I'm lucky in that I have a reliable dealer that over three new vehicles bought has always done me right.
I just reached 5,000 miles and had my first Jeep Wave oil change. I have used the same dealership since 2010 and bought 6 family autos and now my Jeep. I know the GM and Service Manager and sit in SM office while my oil changes are done and they treat my autos like their own. I have always made it a point to get to know the GM and SM plus my salesman who takes care of me too. No issues with my dealership !!
I guess its a Texas Thang !!! ;)

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
My Jeep is a 2020. My first oil change I did myself a bit early as I Drove my JLUR across the country in December. My Dealer called me last week to remind me that my first service is at 8000km or 6 months, whichever comes first. I'm at 12000km now. I went into the dealer and asked what the service entails and they said it was an oil change. I mentioned I did it myself, logged it and kept the receipts for proof. The lady behind the counter proceeded to tell me that if I have any engine problems down the road that jeep will not cover any warranty work on it. It's the 3.6l. I'm not worried and thinking it may be BS but not sure. Anybody have any experience with this? I'm in Canada.
After reading many scary stories about Jeep's service departments ineptness with respect to oil change, you made the right decision to do it yourself. I don't trust jeep service and have documented proof to stay away. I have the free changes, but it wasn't worth the risk. I had my first oil change done by my local (trusted shop). I provided them with the oil which adhere's to their oil requirements. My second service I did my self. I kept all receipts from Amazon showing that the recommended oil was used (this is JEEP'S ONLY RECOURSE TO DENY WARRANTY SERVICE. But if it went to arbitration they would loose anyway). I would support the BS opinion offered in the post.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
This was discussed at length ore than a year ago it was confirmed as long as you were able to date stamp your oils changes it would not affect warranty.

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
We don't speak KMs in US....LOL
Sponsored