Sponsored

Jeep won't cover engine if i do my own oil changes.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
Indeed but last I knew, we hadn't sold KS to Canada, so they are at the mercy of their law of the land. That's why warranties don't work across national borders. Tho I think they should:like:
Just sharing my experience. Canada can't afford the Kansas tax codes (neither can we). Everyone should read their warranty coverage before they buy no matter what part of the world they live in. Doesn't make things better but at least you're not caught off guard.

Perhaps one of the You Tube Jeep channels can explore the differences between Canadian and American sold Jeeps. I know the Europeans get a different product due to their laws (giant honking front bumpers).
Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Indeed but last I knew, we hadn't sold KS to Canada, so they are at the mercy of their law of the land. That's why warranties don't work across national borders. Tho I think they should:like:
Actually my Canadian purchased Jeep warranty is honoured in USA and Canada. However, it wouldn’t if, as a Canadian, I bought the Jeep in the USA.

Last edited:

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not worried and thinking it may be BS but not sure. Anybody have any experience with this? I'm in Canada.
Kind-of sounds like you are bro..

At any rate I would ASSUME you will be fine, however, from an FCA (or any business) standpoint, proof of supply/material purchases is real dandy, however, where is the proof you're a certified technician and that you performed the oil change per the tech manual?

I realize many folks dealerships are shitty and they do screw up, probably more than you and I, however, if I'm them, I would deny it too. To much liability in that for them. While I am sure you know how to change your oil, probably more-so than some FCA techs, I imagine some bonehead doesn't and those are the folks FCA likely wouldn't want doing their own maintenance and then claiming their engine blew because of their lack of knowledge..

Anyways, please report back with your findings! Best of luck.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
My Jeep is a 2020. My first oil change I did myself a bit early as I Drove my JLUR across the country in December. My Dealer called me last week to remind me that my first service is at 8000km or 6 months, whichever comes first. I'm at 12000km now. I went into the dealer and asked what the service entails and they said it was an oil change. I mentioned I did it myself, logged it and kept the receipts for proof. The lady behind the counter proceeded to tell me that if I have any engine problems down the road that jeep will not cover any warranty work on it. It's the 3.6l. I'm not worried and thinking it may be BS but not sure. Anybody have any experience with this? I'm in Canada.
Hey buddy. Like others have said, I can't speak to Canadian law, much that I respect you (my buddy to the North), it, and your Country.

What I can say is that in the States, if a dealer told you that you must get your oil changed with them, AND, the US Jeep Wave program where free oil changes are part of that deal didn't exist, FCA could find themselves an anti-trust litigation, especially if their price for effecting this oil change service was not on par with competitors.

There might be exceptions to this, like Porche I believe, where the oil change process is so rigorous that it's beyond the realm of a basic oil change franchise. But we all agree that a JL's oil change, easy enough to do at home, is certainly within reach of non-dealer oil change mechanics--much that the dealer has screw this up and placed 6, rather then 5 US quarts of oil in the JL's engine more times than I'd care to hear--yet another rationale that could be used for not going to the dealer.

I'd think (and hope that) Canadian law would have similar provisions given that both our legal systems have commonality in the British law that gave rise to them, but by no means am I certain.

Good luck, and as (you) stated, keep good records.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Canada honours US warranties and vice versa. I had work done on my KL TH in the US under warranty, and any work that is done at a US (warranty or not) service center shows up on Canadian logs.

Back on track, the dealer is giving you a runaround.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Maybe it's different for each brand?

I thought one of the Mopar Extended Warranty sales guys online told me US and Canadian warranty overlaped? Many if not all of my previous cars had North American (US/CA) warranty coverage IF I remembered correctly? I drove my MINI from Chicago to Montreal a day after buying it. Not 200 miles into the trip just before the border in MI I had a issue with the sunroof not closing / sealing. I stopped and got some blue painters tape. I taped the sunroof seams and dove to a Toronto area MINI dealer. The dealer gave me a new BMW loaner and I drove to Montreal. I picked up my MINI on the way back. MINI even reimbursed me for a few hundred for trip interruption or something?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Canada honours US warranties and vice versa. I had work done on my KL TH in the US under warranty, and any work that is done at a US (warranty or not) service center shows up on Canadian logs.

Back on track, the dealer is giving you a runaround.
Good to know.

A while back, Canadian Chrysler warranties were not honored in the US. Canada honored US warranties but US dealer would not honor Canadian Chrysler warranty. This was back in 2003.

https://canadiansupersellers.com/warranty-previously-owned-canadian-cars/

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2014 ram and was on my way to new Hampshire ( I live in new Brunswick, Canada, not New Jersey ;)) and this was in 2015 or 2016, and had the dummy light come on. I stopped in Fredericton NB to get it checked out but of course, it had shut off. They were able to find a code but due to time restraints, I didn't get it fixed. It wasn't anything major. But I was told that if it happened again to just stop in any dodge dealer in there states and it would be looked at under warranty.

It didn't happen again and I got it fixed when back home..... some sort of wiring harness issue.

So I'm assuming that it is still the same today with Chrysler jeep. That was my experience.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I just contacted the local dealership and they said that as long as the oil change is recorded and receipts are kept, it is fine and won't void warranty!:)

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is that warranty is honored across the border as long as the vehicle is registered in the same country where it was purchased. This means that a Canadian can visit the US and get the Jeep serviced there without issue and vice-versa.

However, if you buy the Jeep in Canada --or the US-- and take it across the border to have it registered, the warranty becomes null and void.

Of course there are exceptions for military personnel and other special categories who can demonstrate a legitimate reason for buying the Jeep in one country and registering it across the border.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
My understanding is that warranty is honored across the border as long as the vehicle is registered in the same country where it was purchased. This means that a Canadian can visit the US and get the Jeep serviced there without issue and vice-versa.

However, if you buy the Jeep in Canada --or the US-- and take it across the border to have it registered, the warranty becomes null and void.

Of course there are exceptions for military personnel and other special categories that can demonstrate a legitimate reason for buying the Jeep in one country and registering it across the border.
Thank you. You said that more coherently than my rambling ass did:giggle:

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Of course there are exceptions for military personnel and other special categories who can demonstrate a legitimate reason for buying the Jeep in one country and registering it across the border.
This makes sense, as the CA warranties are garbage compared to the US.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I'm in Canada. I had this same conversation with my shop just yesterday. No one seemed to really know for sure, but the consensus was that if you do your own oil changes, there is no way to truly prove that you did it OR that you did it properly. You can show receipts for products (oil and filter) and SAY that you changed the oil... but did you really? It could still be sitting in your garage unopened.

If your vehicle is under warranty, the only real way for sure to make sure that everything is covered is to have a shop do the work for you. I don't think it matters what shop (doesn't have to be dealer), so long as you have a receipt stating that it was done (not just products purchased).

From someone who enjoys changing her own oil, I sympathize with you on this one. It kills me to have someone else do it when I could easily do it myself.
Sponsored