Jeep won’t start after brand new battery

bwildman

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
I purchased a new battery for my 2018 JL sport 2DR in July. My car wound not start again in November. I had the vehicle jumped, returned to autozone and had the battery replaced. He ran a diagnostic and assured me the battery and alternator are in great condition. My Jeep would not start again this morning. Then, I could hear this clicking noise in my fuse box that lasted for a couple minutes after I exited the vehicle. Again, I jumped the Jeep with my wife’s car this morning. Not sure what to do, Jeep says they can’t get my vehicle in for two weeks. Has anyone had this problem and can point me in the right direction?
Sponsored

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
I purchased a new battery for my 2018 JL sport 2DR in July. My car wound not start again in November. I had the vehicle jumped, returned to autozone and had the battery replaced. He ran a diagnostic and assured me the battery and alternator are in great condition. My Jeep would not start again this morning. Then, I could hear this clicking noise in my fuse box that lasted for a couple minutes after I exited the vehicle. Again, I jumped the Jeep with my wife’s car this morning. Not sure what to do, Jeep says they can’t get my vehicle in for two weeks. Has anyone had this problem and can point me in the right direction?
Did you replace the main battery or aux battery or both?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There have been reports of defective charging systems and/or wiring harnesses.

Personally, the part that I find unconscionable is that the dealer will say with a straight face that they can’t even look at it for 2 weeks. We didn’t buy a toy; these are actual household vehicles!

I hope they offered you a free loaner at the very least. If not, I’d get JeepCares involved.

Good luck.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The main. From my understanding, the auxiliary battery wouldn’t prevent the vehicle from starting.
I wouldn't be so sure. When mine started to refuse to start, I replaced both.

Sponsored

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
I hope they offered you a free loaner at the very least. If not, I’d get JeepCares involved.
Agreed, I would say give me a loaner if you can't look at it for 2 weeks.
@JeepCares

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
The main. From my understanding, the auxiliary battery wouldn’t prevent the vehicle from starting.
The 2018-2020 need an ECU update to keep the aux battery from creating a non start situation. You can pull the trigger wire off the aux battery relay to bypass the issue

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A defective Aux battery can and will prevent the car from starting. I would recommend bypassing the aux battery to confirm that isn't the issue. Instructions for this can be found on the forum here by searching for "ESS bypass".

Wroth a shot.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you buy the aux battery?
I got both at O’Reiley’s; their Super Start batteries get good reviews. The main battery was $299 and the auxiliary battery was $107.

I replaced them myself; I went in from the engine compartment. I wasn’t going to bother cutting plastic rivets and removing fenders.

The procedure was pretty straightforward. The trickiest part was reconnecting the fuse box; my fingers are too big and clumsy to reach in there. It took me 3 hours from the moment I drove to the store to buy the batteries and I was completely done.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bwildman

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
The 2018-2020 need an ECU update to keep the aux battery from creating a non start situation. You can pull the trigger wire off the aux battery relay to bypass the issue
I went ahead and unplugged the battery Sensor. Apparently that will do the trick.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Got anything to add @Rhinebeck01 ? :LOL:
Well, I was set back/put off... so to speak with some of the inaccurate posts in this thread (most were inaccurate)... so I chose not to post in this tread, to just shake my head, chuckle and move on.

After seeing some inaccurate posts ... I did reach put to the OP (Messaging) and told him I would walk help him through this via a phone call but apparently he was/is not interested. With a half hours instr. the guy could have proceeded in a proper Aux change out that would have taken him no more then say 30 min. to do.

This issue he is having is easily easily remedied.. I was going to help him get it remedied now versus him doing hours of forum research in order to do the deed...

Oh, I think it is bad lets say.... a disservice that someone in this thread, mentioned dismantling the PDC to change out the Aux battery. IF they want to be stupido and risk a thousand $ plus dismantling the PDC , so be it.... but geeez, not right to tell a Novice at that, to go the PDC route...

Anyway, you asked @Slickrickmotoadv

Last edited:

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I was set back/put off... so to speak with some of the inaccurate posts in this thread (most were inaccurate)... so I chose not to post in this tread, to just shake my head, chuckle and move on.

I did reach put to the OP (Messaging) and told him I would walk help him through this via a phone call but apparently he was/is not interested. With a half hours instr. the guy could have proceeded in a proper Aux change out that would have taken him no more then say 30 min. to do.

This issue he is having is easily easily remedied.. I was going to help him get it remedied now versus him doing hours of forum research in order to do the deed...

Oh, I think it is bad lets say.... a disservice that someone in this thread, mentioned dismantling the PDC to changeout the PDC. IF they want to be stupido and risk a thousand $ plus dismantling the PDC , so be it.... but geeez, not right to tell a Novice at that, to go the PDC route...

Thanks for helping them though. You always got the good stuff 👍

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

After seeing some inaccurate posts ... I did reach put to the OP (Messaging) and told him I would walk help him through this via a phone call but apparently he was/is not interested. With a half hours instr. the guy could have proceeded in a proper Aux change out that would have taken him no more then say 30 min. to do.

Oh, I think it is bad lets say.... a disservice that someone in this thread, mentioned dismantling the PDC to changeout the PDC. IF they want to be stupido and risk a thousand $ plus dismantling the PDC , so be it.... but geeez, not right to tell a Novice at that, to go the PDC route...

Can I ask a a couple of questions (may help others who find this thread)?

1 - On 2019s and newer or 2018s with the SW update, is there ever a situation where a failed aux battery or sensor will prevent a start? Is there ever a need to do the aux bypass on those vehicles?

2 - Is there a better way to replace the aux battery? Or is the fender route the best?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored