Sponsored

Jeep website now has 2.0L Turbos as option, revealing more details

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester (Subaru)
That gvwr figure is a little ambiguous - which trims? All trims? Aren't the GVWRs different for each trim? Or is there only one trim available with the 2.0T? What happens on the 2dr? Is there a commensurate increase in the curb weight, so the increase is cancelled out?

Under "GVWR" on the configurator, it lists the gvwr as "standard" for the sport and sport s, and "not available" for the rubicon :headbang:

Also, are you required to use premium in the turbo?
Sponsored

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
Does the turbo engine require high-octane gas? My turbo-4 Mercedes GLC does...

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Think 91 is recommended, all stock cars can run 89 but ECM will adjust and decrease performance.

CRC

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2023 Toyota Camry XLE AWD

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
Think 91 is recommended, all stock cars can run 89 but ECM will adjust and decrease performance.
That’s what I figured. The turbo-4 is hugely misleading in terms of economy...for $1k upfront pemium plus the cost of paying 30% more per gallon you can achieve...30% better mileage?? Unlikely. I’m losing at least 1-1.5 mpg running regular unleaded in my GLC...

The increased fuel cost and complexity of turbo are just a hard sell...its what happens when EPA & Auto co’s coordinate to pass some one-dimensional mileage bogey.

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I thought most car manufacturers are switching to smaller size engines but with FI for better fuel economy?
Yes, but not for *our* fuel economy - it's for their *tested* fuel economy that they report to the EPA. They don't care what we get in the real word, as long as their CAFE stays below the line.

Because this is the case, they build engines that can be fun, and still do well on the EPA tests, which don't involve flooring it at 50 just to make yourself grin. If you drove the way the EPA test circuit thinks you do, then you'd always get better mileage from a small turbo vs a big V6/8.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
That’s what I figured. The turbo-4 is hugely misleading in terms of economy...for $1k upfront pemium plus the cost of paying 30% more per gallon you can achieve...30% better mileage?? Unlikely. I’m losing at least 1-1.5 mpg running regular unleaded in my GLC...

The increased fuel cost and complexity of turbo are just a hard sell...its what happens when EPA & Auto co’s coordinate to pass some one-dimensional mileage bogey.
Where are you paying 30% more for premium? Here it's a lot clsoer to 30 *cents* than 30%.

Aside from that, modern turbos work just fine on 87, you just don't get as much HP/Torque. Do this all the time with the wife's Audi - still a blast to drive, and the fuel economy isn't effected much if at all. You can really have the best of both worlds - a fun turbo and cheap gas.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
So what’s up with the fuel cap ? , We have an explanation for the discriminator which keeps you from putting diesel in your gas motor but what’s the fuel filler door or gas cap change. Do the wranglers have a capless design like ford

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
Where are you paying 30% more for premium? Here it's a lot clsoer to 30 *cents* than 30%.

Aside from that, modern turbos work just fine on 87, you just don't get as much HP/Torque. Do this all the time with the wife's Audi - still a blast to drive, and the fuel economy isn't effected much if at all. You can really have the best of both worlds - a fun turbo and cheap gas.
Charlotte, NC...yeah, premium is about 25% more expensive. I have a 2017 merc glc with the turbo 4...The mileage benefit is trivial next to the increased cost compared to a v6, at least for the merc. If Merc had offered a v6 I would have opted for that, which is why I went for that in the JL.

Sponsored

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara

30% more per gallon for premium is a lot. At my local station here in So Cal regular (87) is $3.60 and premium (91) is $3.80. That's only an increase of 5.5% In this case the 30% better mileage is a great return.

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
30% more per gallon for premium is a lot. At my local station here in So Cal regular (87) is $3.60 and premium (91) is $3.80. That's only an increase of 5.5% In this case the 30% better mileage is a great return.
Gas is cheaper here, but much bigger spread between grades. I have no idea how much better mileage will be with the turbo, but i bet it isnt much in real world driving.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
Interesting. The 2.0 might be a good choice in certain regions and not in others, if running costs are a concern.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE

Exactly the fuel economy goals the government sets it’s just unrealistic for the timeframe especially for Jeep who’s line up is SUV only. That’s why you see baby crossovers from them with 1.4l engine lol

But as long as brand as a whole averages within requirement (on paper) all is good.

I’m a strong believer in no replacement for displacement.

Disturbed1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tonner
Everything is better once its forced fed.

Whether or not it's a 1.3l Hayabusa motor or a 25,000l Diesel boat engine... They all produce a shit load more power with boost.
Sponsored