Sponsored

Jeep Wave - How about DIY Oil and Filter?

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
The dork at my local dealer is not touching my Jeep. I will pass on the free oil changes, I always have done my own it don't mess with the warranty just keep your receipts.
I agree. It's a few oil changes at $25 each and it takes me about 20 min to do since I can just crawl under the jeep without any jacks. Already done two and I'm now at 6k miles switching to 5-6k intervals. Also did my rear diff fluid which took another 15 min.

I feel like the last oil change and rear diff fluid change to 75-140 has actually increased my mileage a little. Stock diff fluid was black and lots of metal shavings on the drain plug.
Sponsored

Mojito!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to hear that some of you have had less than desirable experiences with your dealers and @JeepCares. My experiences have all been positive and have been well taken care of by both. My issue with oil changes is that we not driving as many miles had we not been under the pandemic. It would be nice if FCA would extend the expiration date of the Jeep Wave program, i.e. oil changes. At the rate I am going I will be leaving 1 on the table. Any chance @JeepCares ?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The primary reason for them providing "free" oil changes is to get you into the shop. Hey, at 6 months your windshield wipers need to be replaced at a cost of $75. We noticed your air filter was dirty at 3k miles and we can replace it for $90.

They won't provide free oil/filter in place of upcharging for unneeded items.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The primary reason for them providing "free" oil changes is to get you into the shop. Hey, at 6 months your windshield wipers need to be replaced at a cost of $75. We noticed your air filter was dirty at 3k miles and we can replace it for $90.

Don't forget some even include an extra quart at no extra charge!

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

This.

This is the entire purpose the free oil changes. It gets a Jeep owner into the dealership 4 times over two years. 4 opportunities to up sell, offer accessories, push maintenance or repair services, and have potential buyers captive on the lot looking at new models while they wait. They do this not as a service but as an opportunity to have you there in person to market and sell to.

Giving supplies to DIY defeats the entire purpose.

Yann

First Name
Yann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My dealer said no free oil change because the EE discount on purchasing, does free oil change is part of new truck service?

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The dork at my local dealer is not touching my Jeep. I will pass on the free oil changes, I always have done my own it don't mess with the warranty just keep your receipts.
I've never understood why automakers would accept that; purchase of oil or a filter doesn't prove you ever actually performed the procedure.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've never understood why automakers would accept that; purchase of oil or a filter doesn't prove you ever actually performed the procedure.
"Notes", whether in the form of purchase receipts, or for example handwritten records of employee interactions (which are then used as evidence when H.R. is involved) do seem to carry more weight than they otherwise should.

I agree; receipts authenticate expense but not labor. That said, when I inquired about DIY vehicle maintenance as it may relate to a future warranty claim, dealer service dept. staff have told me to simply retain my receipts as proof that I performed the work in question. So, there is a longstanding element of good faith in such matters.
Sponsored