Jeep vs deer (or other critters)

Baddog2020

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
After 38 years of driving, I hit my first deer. 5 AM on my way to work. Nice buck crossing the road, likely in pursuit of a doe. I slowed down thinking he would clear my path. Nope. I braked hard but still tagged him. Rear legs flew up in the air. I slowed even more and checked the mirror, no sign of deer. I’ll call it a draw. Checked for damage once I got to work. Steel bumpers proved their worth. I’ve had close encounters with deer before, mostly on 2 wheels. Once on a back road a deer carcass was in the middle of the street. I slowed down to pass. All of a sudden, the deer lifted his head and looked right at me, like Michael Myers popping up behind Jamie Lee Curtis in the original Halloween. I expected Rod Steiger to be standing on the side of the road “you have just entered the Twilight Zone.” Had to check the shorts after that one. Once while in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, I heard a call come over the radio of a biker and passenger colliding with an elk. Neither made it. Other than taking out an occasional squirrel and a cat once, that’s it for collisions with critters.

Anyone else?
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hit one last week. Only damage to the Jeep was the impact bar under the bumper was bent and some deer fur got stock in my wheel. Insurance is paying me out on it so i am ending up ahead. The deer wasn’t so lucky.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Hit one last week. Only damage to the Jeep was the impact bar under the bumper was bent and some deer fur got stock in my wheel. Insurance is paying me out on it so i am ending up ahead. The deer wasn’t so lucky.
Years and years ago in the mountains outside of Denver i hit a deer while driving a Volkswagen bug. Neither did very well.

Weedwacker

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley
A brown bear rolling down the side of a mountain in PA took out my car once a long time ago. The bear just shook it off like it was a mosquito bite. He just walked over to the edge of the road, curled up into a ball and continued rolling down the side of the mountain. I went back to my grandparents and called my uncle up to have him come down with his tractor and haul the car off to the dump. The car was worth less than my deductible.

Sponsored

Nohair989

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Just missed a deer a few weeks ago heading into work while on two wheels. The guy next to me wasn't so lucky. It was a pretty good sized doe and his car took quite a beating. Breaks my heart that he didn't claim the deer carcass. That's good eating!

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
After 38 years of driving, I hit my first deer. 5 AM on my way to work. Nice buck crossing the road, likely in pursuit of a doe. I slowed down thinking he would clear my path. Nope. I braked hard but still tagged him. Rear legs flew up in the air. I slowed even more and checked the mirror, no sign of deer. I’ll call it a draw. Checked for damage once I got to work. Steel bumpers proved their worth. I’ve had close encounters with deer before, mostly on 2 wheels. Once on a back road a deer carcass was in the middle of the street. I slowed down to pass. All of a sudden, the deer lifted his head and looked right at me, like Michael Myers popping up behind Jamie Lee Curtis in the original Halloween. I expected Rod Steiger to be standing on the side of the road “you have just entered the Twilight Zone.” Had to check the shorts after that one. Once while in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, I heard a call come over the radio of a biker and passenger colliding with an elk. Neither made it. Other than taking out an occasional squirrel and a cat once, that’s it for collisions with critters.

Anyone else?
I once hit a deer
Dear friend of mine

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Just have to share these stories about my dad. God rest his soul.

He had a knack for attracting deer. I told him he should get a gun and go hunting. Nope!!!! But man was he ever good and hunting them with a vehicle.

I know of 2 vehicles that he pretty much destroyed. He was a Ford guy.

First. Ford Ranger. Early one was an early morning. He was on his way to work. He popped over a hill and there flew a buck perpendicular to the road. The buck ripped the quarter panel of the small pickup. Antler punctured the radiator and somehow a tire. He ran off the road and took out a fence post with what was let of the front of the truck. Buck landed on the ground on the other side of the truck and continued like a running back going through a defensive line. The deer was found the next day laying in the farmers field. My dad took the head and hung it in our barn as a trophy. His truck never returned to our property.

Second one happed in MB South Carolina. While pulling out of the sub division my parents lived in, a deer cane out of no where and distorted the entire side of my dads Ford Ranger (different one btw). It took out Everything past the drivers door. The stupid deer landed in the bed of the truck.

best part of all of it.... he was certain that them damn whistles that you can mount on your bumpers helped. I would tease him and ask him how he knew they helped.

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Recently here in L.A. there are vagrants (critters of the human variety) randomly running into traffic like they have a death wish. I've slammed on my brakes more than once to avoid hitting them, successfully, thank G-d!

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
I hit a deer in an '89 full-size Blazer a long time ago - only damage was to the grill, which didn't even make my deductible.
Then a summer ago, a vehicle hit a deer going the opposite direction I was, and (since?) I was only going about 25-30, that deer bounced into my 2 year old Ram pickup, denting a lot of sheet metal. Had a piss-poor paintless dent remover guy (half-assed) try to get the dents out since no paint was broken/cracked, but he couldn't get them out all the way, so I traded it in on a '19 Ram. Met the dealer half-way between us, and on the way back a pebble flew up (thanks road construction) and put a small ding in the brand new Ram!
I am so paranoid about deer that I really try and stay off certain mountain roads about dusk - get out before or after that time of day!

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0

Anyone else?
I think you meant Rod Serling !
Sponsored