Sponsored

Jeep vs Bronco: So that Bronco Rack & Pinion Steering Ford is so happy about seems to have some issues

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Bla, Bla how many of you didn't know that the Broncos front IFS system wasn't going to be as strong stock for stock as the Jeeps SFA before the first one even hit the roads?

You can do anything to any vehicle. I know very little about off-roading, but I know a little about automobiles in general and did a lot of research (Including looking at the Bronco) before I bought my Jeep. We also know you can break anything, but I feel Ford needs to make some changes on the Bronco, they have already broken doing way less than this kind of stuff.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Ha ha, I knew this video would be on here! I love the Light Brite channel. It's all fun, and I knew the Bronco wouldn't be able to hang with the Stepchild.

This is so far beyond what most owners would do anyway.
I'm also a fan of them and their channel. What drew me in to watching them is Kevin's preference for always walking it rather than bumping up every rock and ledge, like many of the other well known channels. Yes they like to push limits so they can find the next, but other than a few prideful moments here and there, I wouldn't label them as abusers. I met them at the 1st e3 meetup a couple of years back, days before they did the long arm install, and they are both super cool people. My brother and I were 2 of 4 people that ended up hanging out with them in the parking garage for about an extra half hour after the meet.

Also, I fully agree with you about the Step Child. It's an amazing build, but hard to relate to. My favorite videos are from back before the engine and axle swaps, when they were still rocking the Metalcloak Gamechanger.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep vs Bronco: So that Bronco Rack & Pinion Steering Ford is so happy about seems to have some issues 20191215_123951
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep vs Bronco: So that Bronco Rack & Pinion Steering Ford is so happy about seems to have some issues Screenshot_20191216-141423

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So the Bronco has only been in the hands of real owners for a month or two. Prior to that it was in the hands of people that Ford hand picked.

Things we learned so far, The Bronco lifts tires off the ground all the time, the steering is not up to tires bigger than 35s, the front diff is easy to gernade and that the Bronco will be very expensive to re-gear as you have to replace the whole front diff as it will not accommodate larger gears.

With the bronco getting into the hands of normal users, we will surely learn the strength and weakness of the bronco.

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
So reinforced steering arms... leaves rack as weakest link... breaks rack.

I would have rather bent an arm, trail fixable.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Still on the Sport axles?
Nope... I installed Gladiator Rubicon axles.. and yes... it feels stupid to run 40s on these Dana 44s... but imagine running 40s on stock Sport axles!!.. Full Retard Mode !! LOL

BTW... my steering box is the original Aluminum one.. UGH...

Sponsored

Whsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Clubs

Behold the future and weep.
Don't worry, if the Bronco is even still around by then, it's forum will be covered by jeep threads when the next gen wrangler comes out.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
So the Bronco has only been in the hands of real owners for a month or two. Prior to that it was in the hands of people that Ford hand picked.
Saw a 4 dr sport Bronco today. Not impressed.
Things we learned so far, The Bronco lifts tires off the ground all the time, the steering is not up to tires bigger than 35s, the front diff is easy to gernade and that the Bronco will be very expensive to re-gear as you have to replace the whole front diff as it will not accommodate larger gears.

With the bronco getting into the hands of normal users, we will surely learn the strength and weakness of the bronco.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I started watching the video but got tired of hearing so much about them, so I closed it.
I canceled the lighbrite kool-aid long ago. They'd talk trash about the stock Wrangler while they were grinding it up onto a Boulder, then wondered why they were stuck. They beat the crap out of their vehicles then made a video to complain about all the things that broke on it.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Yeah!

Sponsored

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I have a little different take on the Wrangler/Bronco situation. The Bronco isn't a bad vehicle, yes IFS needs some mods, not sure on axle strengths or weaknesses, But both Lite Brite and TrailRecon have purchased new Bronco's but seem to be relying on there Wranglers for day to day wheeling. Which to me says a lot... I'm not trading in Nacho Grande but if I where in the market for a third vehicle, I'd be looking at Bronco's or a low trim Lightning set up to emulate a Raptor....

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep vs Bronco: So that Bronco Rack & Pinion Steering Ford is so happy about seems to have some issues Nacho Grande large

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Drove my friends Bronco this weekend on the trails. It’s a great vehicle with a lot of tech, but it felt heavy in comparison to the wrangler.

What I mean is it felt tank heavy. It was very capable and would roll over any obstacle without issue but there was no feeling or feedback to driving it.

The jeep feels more nimble and responsive which is odd considering the solid axle vs the independent suspension. My friend who drove my Wrangler noted the same thing.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I have a Bronco reservation, and honestly I'm probably the target demo for Ford. I don't do a ton of hardcore off-roading (rock climbing), I just want a vehicle I can take the top/doors off, throw surf gear covered in sand in and spray out the sand. I've never had a vehicle with carpet (XJ, '93 Toyota Pickup, JKU). I want to be able to lay the seats down and fill it with boards inside and on top, and sleep inside it when need be. It's my daily driver, but I want it to be comfortable on long trips since that's mostly what it's used for (I work from home)

I ended up ordering a JLUR from Gupton and love it so far, I've actually been wheeling it a lot more than my previous vehicles, and again, it's mostly easy to moderate trails (Uwharrie, NC mountains, etc.). I have Armorlite to fix the carpet issue (this should be a factory option), and Bartact seat covers. I went with the JL because of reliability, Bronco's issues with hard tops (I basically split 6 months hard top, 6 months bikini top), and cost/availabilty - being able to order a JL at 8% below invoice compared to invoice pricing on the Bronco (small dealer, probably why it won't show until '24 but they've promisied invoice pricing locked in when I ordered).

The general consensus is the Bronco is easier to drive on-road and more comfortable. I'd have to spend some time in the seats but the test drive I've had in the MGV they felt pretty stiff. The second thing is that the Jeep wanders all over the road, honestly, I'm not sure what people are doing, the JL is a piece of cake at 70-80 MPH. Maybe I'm just used to the tiny bit of corrections it needs, but I'm basically driving with 2 fingers or a single hand, no issues.

The one argument I will say is valid, is the manual throw on the Bronco seems to be a lot tighter and more forgiving, particularly first gear as comparing to the Rubicon (on-road). I didn't get the Bronco (manual) off-road, just my neighbor's automatic, the Rubicon obviously is excellent at crawling in first gear.

That's my 2 cents for now - Jeep needs to work on their options, particularly interior washout flooring and providing the xtreme recon package with a manual.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Drove my friends Bronco this weekend on the trails. It’s a great vehicle with a lot of tech, but it felt heavy in comparison to the wrangler.

What I mean is it felt tank heavy. It was very capable and would roll over any obstacle without issue but there was no feeling or feedback to driving it.

The jeep feels more nimble and responsive which is odd considering the solid axle vs the independent suspension. My friend who drove my Wrangler noted the same thing.
I would agree with this as well, I've driven the Bronco on easy forest roads, but they are tight, and while the trail turn is interesting and all, it just feels lumbering going through compared to the JL.