Jeep Truck just became more important

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
I think the Jeep truck just got even more important because of the diesel cheat allegations. My guess is that since EPA filed notice against FCA then the company is most likely in trouble and will take on huge losses because of the fine that'll result. This won't be limited to just the US because you can bet the Canadian government and any other country where the V6 Ecodiesel was sold will also be getting in on the action.

But, I can see the Jeep pickup being a lifeline to help FCA cover the losses. It's the only all-new-to-lineup car I can think of coming for FCA and Jeep that'll inject hundreds of thousands of increased sales. At $30-40k+ and those volumes it's going to be an important revenue generator for the co. And it may need it soon.
Sponsored

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
Prob is the expected revenue from the JT was probably already baked into their financial plans for the next few years. So any fines they take on now will just be additional costs they didn't plan for. Also I know they projected they'd sell like 100k JT a year but wonder if diesel option never comes how much that affects this estimate.

Deacon Blues

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Prob is the expected revenue from the JT was probably already baked into their financial plans for the next few years. So any fines they take on now will just be additional costs they didn't plan for. Also I know they projected they'd sell like 100k JT a year but wonder if diesel option never comes how much that affects this estimate.
I have been driving a Wrangler Unlimited Sahara from 2013 and now 2015 for 5 years. I do not understand the desire for a diesel. First, fuel is almost a dollar more per gallon. Second, I will have to add urea. Third, the 3.6 liter has 260 ft/lbs of torque and 285 horse power so where is the problem? You will be gaining a minimum amount of torque for a premium price and the cost of fuel and additive will destroy any perceived gains in fuel economy. Improve the 3.6 slightly and I will be more than happy.

Shawn Ash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I have been driving a Wrangler Unlimited Sahara from 2013 and now 2015 for 5 years. I do not understand the desire for a diesel. First, fuel is almost a dollar more per gallon. Second, I will have to add urea. Third, the 3.6 liter has 260 ft/lbs of torque and 285 horse power so where is the problem? You will be gaining a minimum amount of torque for a premium price and the cost of fuel and additive will destroy any perceived gains in fuel economy. Improve the 3.6 slightly and I will be more than happy.
For some the extra 160 lb-ft (420 lb-ft of the V6 Ecodiesel) is significantly more and worth the price and hassle. That's a decent more amount of power to help move around a heavy car. But for anyone who doesn't want diesel I predict the updated 3.6 pentastar coming with the JL should be a nice upgrade from the current one.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yep the 160lb-ft additional tq is going to be a huge difference ..... add that to the 700 mile range the Grand Cherokee gets along with it. I have been driving my JKU for 4 years daily and I think its way under powered. Add a lift and big tires and it barley has a 300 mile range on it which for anyone that uses their Jeeps to explore is a problem. On top of that I would like to be able to tow 2 snowmobiles, or a couple of RZRs without a struggle and the Jeep currently struggles to do that.

Last edited:

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
I may be in the minority on this, but I am leaning towards the new Hurricane Engine depending on reviews/any issues. I had the 3.8 in a JK I had for a DD and that was power enough for that vehicle. I expect that the Hurricane motor will be more than motor enough. Waiting on final word as well as Engine performance before I make a concrete decision. I don't want to deal with the extra hassles that go with owning a diesel, as reliable and fuel efficient as they tend to be I don't have that much need for it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.