litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I can make a 5min stop for gas in my 4xe and be on my way with several hundred miles more range. If I stop for 2 hours to re-charge, I'm gonna get bored and start drinking beer and that's not goid for anybody on the road.
Who takes 2 hours to charge a BEV? Most fast chargers with a current BEV top to 80-90% in about 20m. If I’m stopping for gas and take and Stretch that’s about perfect time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
YES....lol that much Torque ALL the time would be like Rock hopping and not so much Rock Crawling.... lol
You do know that EVs (and other vehicles too, but easier on EVs) can easily modulate torque and throttle sensitivity by software, right? If properly calibrated, an EV can make it very easy to make torque very feel very linear and progressive in off-road mode.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
You do know that EVs (and other vehicles too, but easier on EVs) can easily modulate torque and throttle sensitivity by software, right? If properly calibrated, an EV can make it very easy to make torque very feel very linear and progressive in off-road mode.
yes indeed, I do know. Once you eliminate mechanical systems, you can really do anything you want with electrons:) It depends on how good you are with programming. ;) But, there will be growing pains for sure.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
yes indeed, I do know. Once you eliminate mechanical systems, you can really do anything you want with electrons:) It depends on how good you are with programming. ;) But, there will be growing pains for sure.
Probably. But software to smooth out the start up of electric motors has been around for decades. Hint: submarine drives, electric locomotives for high speed trains, pretty much every modern large electric motor, and every EV has them. These electric motors can easily shear a shaft if they engaged at full torque at zero RPM.

It will be fun to see how Jeep does it.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Yes, but with electric motors producing 1,000,000,000flt lbs of torque at zero RPM, would that ever be a problem?
The idea of power transfer is something subaru and land rover sold people, it's just dumb in my opinion. When does an off road vehicle have the most capability? When it has no center dif and lockers front and rear. Yes a tire in the air will be spinning, as will a tire with no traction. But at the same time every tire is being driven. No torque vectoring, power transfer, clutch packs to wear out. Add in the fact that the electric motor makes plenty of torque and I think rivian has done a good job of proving that having a motor for each wheel works well. And it allows tank turns which are just fun.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The idea of power transfer is something subaru and land rover sold people, it's just dumb in my opinion. When does an off road vehicle have the most capability? When it has no center dif and lockers front and rear. Yes a tire in the air will be spinning, as will a tire with no traction. But at the same time every tire is being driven. No torque vectoring, power transfer, clutch packs to wear out. Add in the fact that the electric motor makes plenty of torque and I think rivian has done a good job of proving that having a motor for each wheel works well. And it allows tank turns which are just fun.
Exactly. And Tesla is said to be redesigning the Cybertruck with a 4-motor capability. They know they will need it to be competitive. But every EV truck announced in off-road trim has at least 2 motors. Some have 3, Rivian 4.

At the very least transfer cases and center diffs are gonne, gonne, gonne.
Sponsored