Sponsored

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Tell that to those of us stuck in snowpocalypse in Texas- February 2021. We lost power for six days at my place. Luckily I had plenty of gas and could get more down the street (pumps were open). Luckily for my neighbor, too, because I drove him and my jeep through that storm to get to his elderly mother and deliver her meds.
That's an embarrassing electric grid you have in Texas. If that happened to most people in the US, their EV car has plenty of range to drive them to where they can charge.

To each his own. If we are without power for a month, the gas is going to be gone in no time.

Either way, I have one of each kind. At the moment, if you have two cars, this makes sense for most people. We take the EV car for most drives under 2 hours--which is most trips--and the gas/diesel for trips over that or when we need 2 cars.
Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

$50K+ JLU 4XEs with their comically modest 20 mile all-electric range.
Good news, Wawa has installed EV charging stations all over, which means that you only need about a 10 mile range before you can get to the next Wawa charging station. Unfortunately, now there are fewer parking spaces for everyone else, so I now go to Rutters.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Yeah, I've been keeping up in our 4xe forum with the experiences of the Canadian adopters. They've been abysmally disappointed with their winter range. I'm in AL so would be less affected, unless I travel North to visit relatives. My main concern is the amount of time you'd need to plan for charging on those longer distances outside your battery range.

What would really be bad ass is if they could all get together and develop a single battery stack that could be interchanged. Like going to Wal-Mart and swapping out your propane tank. You'd pull up next to a vault or whatever, a forklift type deal would plug into your battery, it would disconnect, they'd pull the battery and insert a fully charged one so you could get back on your way. Now that would be cool. Just like my Xbox rechargeable batteries! LOL
Tesla was originally going with a swappable battery platform. They abandoned it as the logistics behind it was daunting. Easier to set up and fund the supercharger network. Much more need to put DC Fast chargers at reasonable distances.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I bought my 4xe for all the wrong reasons: torque and horsepower. I regularly drive a 440 mile trip between FL and TN so until a BEV has an optimistic range of at least 600 miles, I'll wait. IMHO, Jeep would be smart to kill the towing capacity and add enough battery to be the first EV to the 600 mile range. You could still wheel it, but it's not like the Wrangler has much towing capacity to begin with.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
The problem for long term owners is that batteries of any vehicle will be shit useless after ten years.

Sponsored

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
Not sure if someone else pointed this out, but my 392 is only getting 220 miles in between gassing up. An EV with even 250 would be an improvement for me....sure I can always gas up if I'm low, but at $6 a gallon I'd rather not.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Not sure if someone else pointed this out, but my 392 is only getting 220 miles in between gassing up. An EV with even 250 would be an improvement for me....sure I can always gas up if I'm low, but at $6 a gallon I'd rather not.
WOW, so do you want to sell your 392, your right it's bad, so get rid of it fast and sell it to me.

NC31

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I bought my 4xe for all the wrong reasons: torque and horsepower. I regularly drive a 440 mile trip between FL and TN so until a BEV has an optimistic range of at least 600 miles, I'll wait. IMHO, Jeep would be smart to kill the towing capacity and add enough battery to be the first EV to the 600 mile range. You could still wheel it, but it's not like the Wrangler has much towing capacity to begin with.
I don't think that's the wrong reason at all. I have been surprised that Jeep hasn't marketed it that way.

NC31

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Yeah definitely, and I understand why they work so well for some people. Charge it all night, start every day with a full tank. Drive 100 miles or less each day. Have a gas-powered car for road trips. Etc, etc. I’m glad they’re convenient for some people.

For me they just don’t work. In the last nine years I’ve lived in nine different houses/apartment/town homes/abodes etc. (counting shorter term situations like staying with a friend for two months before the real move). In none of those living situations was there an EV charger, so I’d have to install it. At a place that I likely didn’t own and wouldn’t be staying longer than a year or two.

Then there are the moves and road trips themselves. Georgia to Texas, Texas to Florida, Florida to California, lots of looooong drives. I’m not slowing down my convoy to account for an EV charging.

Like I’ve said... all these EVs are fantastic and I hope everyone feels really good about themselves, but the policy makers who make my gas-powered Jeep too expensive to run can rot in hell.
totally get it. I won't go EV yet for my own reasons as well.

What policies are you seeing that are making gas-powered vehicles more expensive? Do you mean CAFE targets, or other policies?

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I can generate Electricity at home ; Solar, Wind, Water.
I can NOT Refine gas or diesel at home.
I am also hoping that we see "crate " electric motor kits to retro fit our existing Wranglers to BEV.
This would be a great choice for my 3100 lb 1993 YJ, as well as for my 2018 JL, 2 door

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I'm not sure if you are joking or being serious.

The F150 Raptor has a ~6,000 lbs curb weight. If you want to be exact, Motor Trend weighted their test Raptor at 5,969 lbs (link below).
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-f-150-raptor-pros-cons-review/

The F150 Lighting with no options bare bones and no off-road goodies have a base curb weight of 6,590 lbs (ER) or 6,171 lbs (SR).

A reasonably equipped F150 lightning ER with off-road options would be over 7,000 lbs easily, as the smaller Rivian is over 7,000 lbs.

Here is a good source for you to get up to speed on EV truckweights:

https://tfltruck.com/2022/01/news-2022-ford-f-150-lightning-weighs-less-than-you-may-think/#:~:text=2022 Ford F-150 Lightning , 314 miles 1 more rows

If you think there are no impediments for legacy automakers to build off-road EVs, I don't know what else to tell you. The weight, cost and battery supply issues will be horrendous.
I stand corrected here, I obviously didn't look at enough sources. I totally get the weight of batteries being horrendous factors, and the Wrangler is a brick already with the face of a barn door. I guess I'm just holding on to the pipe dream a little longer until they kill it officially for me! Maybe in a few years the can get some lighter batteries or use nuclear waste in them to power the engine. They're working on nuclear waste batteries for small electronics now for things like phones and watches that should run forever. I know I'll probably never see this in my lifetime but it would be sweet as hell if I did. Radioactive Diamond Battery Will Run For 28,000 Years: NDB Facts (popularmechanics.com)

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

For those saying 600 miles, or it's useless, just how do you get 600 miles out of your current Wrangler? I have to hit a gas station at 500-600KM depending on terrain and winds. That's ~300 miles. I'm fine with stopping to top up and stretch if I can get 200-250 miles out of a charge.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I stand corrected here, I obviously didn't look at enough sources. I totally get the weight of batteries being horrendous factors, and the Wrangler is a brick already with the face of a barn door. I guess I'm just holding on to the pipe dream a little longer until they kill it officially for me! Maybe in a few years the can get some lighter batteries or use nuclear waste in them to power the engine. They're working on nuclear waste batteries for small electronics now for things like phones and watches that should run forever. I know I'll probably never see this in my lifetime but it would be sweet as hell if I did. Radioactive Diamond Battery Will Run For 28,000 Years: NDB Facts (popularmechanics.com)
Don't get me wrong. Like you, I'd love to have an all-electric Wrangler.

The EV architecture with 2 and specially 4 motors (like Rivian) is the dream off-road platform. No transfer case. No requirement for hardware lockers (with 4 motors), totally flat bottom, no fluids to leakout, no water ingestion issues.

I just think we'll need to wait a bit more for the Wrangler. I hope Jeep licenses the Rivian technology though.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
The EV architecture with 2 and specially 4 motors (like Rivian) is the dream off-road platform. No transfer case. No requirement for hardware lockers (with 4 motors), totally flat bottom, no fluids to leakout, no water ingestion issues.
The only issue with independent drive to each wheel is that you only get 1/4 of the total power maximum available at each wheel. Get 3 slipping, and you can't transfer any extra power.
Sponsored