98 TJ, 2021 JLUR

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Takes 800 C-cells, 600 D-cells, 2,000 AAA, 42 9-volts and the rest are those expensive little button batteries used in sleeves with an uncaptured spring that pops out and disappears.
Well then count ME out! Although that could be a weekend task for my kids to work on...

MDawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe, 2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The aerodynamics of the Wrangler makes a pure EV a nightmare to engineer. More drag = more batteries for decent range = more weight = decreased off-road capability.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
The only EV currently on the market (tiny single digit deliveries) that has anywhere in the same ball park of an off road capability is the Hummer. That thing weighs over 9,000 lbs cost twice what a Rubicon XR costs, and they only have battery capacity to build a handful.
Well, the Ford Lightning is estimated to weigh between 5,100- 5,300 lbs for the extended range (ER) battery configuration. It's advertised as 4x4 off-road capable and the 4WD ER version is the same as an XR. It can be done and one would hope by 2024 mfg capacity would be up worldwide. They're not building these today. I wouldn't just dismiss it as a possibility out of hand.

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Certain neighborhoods, especially these days, I wouldnt want to sit and wait to charge my 2024 jeep. I wouldn't want to be going through Wyoming via 80 in a snow storm at night in a 2024 EV.....No, NO and NO!...in 25 yrs Ill be a bit over 70 yrs old if Im around. Maybe then, maybe

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Just passing by, but what's the reason given for not being able to drop batteries in EV's as needed or swap them out? In 50 mile packs etc?
Same reason I don't like the propane tank exchange. Why trade in my perfectly good, lightly used tank and get a crappy tank back that's all rusty and probably about at the end of its life?

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

My next vehicle purchase might be an all EV but no way a Jeep (JLR due to arrive very soon). An electric Wrangler makes zero sense to me..

A sporty EV for the wife is what I have in mind when our bimmer becomes too expensive to keep fixing. Oh wait... it already is! Hopefully we squeeze another couple years out of our '08 750Li before

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

All Stellantis vehicles will be BEV by 2025. This has been confirmed by numerous websites and even this commercial as recent as last year. Even if this isn't an all electric Wrangler, it is not too far behind.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
If anyone has watched off road reviews of BEV vehicles will know that BEV Wrangler with "300 miles of range" would be a fraction of that off road. My 4XE has a real world range around 300 miles with a full charge (24 miles) and a full tank of fuel. The good thing is that I can take a jerry can or two and add a lot of range easily. The BEV wrangler will be a short trail or street play thing. Not to mention the lack of room for a "full" size battery. They will need to have a side saddle battery pack to make room for the rear driveshaft, and they will have to hang down pretty low to allow the space for a reasonable range. Rivian, Hummer, and other IFS BEVs can do the skateboard thing with independent drive to the wheels but Jeep "can't". I think it will be either compromised range and low hanging batteries or elimination of solid axles completely (most likely). Nobody builds a solid axle BEV for good reason. Packaging is the whole reason you build a BEV and the Wrangler is a packaging nightmare compared to more traditional vehicles.

The battery pack for the 4XE is around 500lbs to get you 20-25 miles in fair weather. Use that to factor how much battery you will need to get your ideal range.

The Rivian weighs 6,800+lbs, and The Hummer EV weighs 9,000+ lbs. A BEV wrangler would fall in between the two.

The Wrangler Magneto concept has 70kW/H of batteries stuffed all over the place. I would estimate that is worth around 100-150 miles of range.

Last edited:

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll consider an EV when owning one comes with exactly zero compromises compared to the gas or diesel offering. I anticipate that will be a while from now. I resent any government action to force my hand in this matter (i.e. make ICEs prohibitively expensive) and will vote accordingly.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
All Stellantis vehicles will be BEV by 2025. This has been confirmed by numerous websites and even this commercial as recent as last year. Even if this isn't an all electric Wrangler, it is not too far behind.
Seriously does anyone believe that? They're the furthest behind of any US set of brands.

I'll even take it a step further. Stellantis won't even have 25% of their sold models available in a BEV by 2025.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
By the time I'm ready to buy another Wrangler I'd be happy to buy electric, but I don't want a 4-door and I'm betting they need more space for the batteries.

ras815

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
It seems it would make much more sense for Jeep to build a vehicle from scratch around a BEV design than to retrofit an existing model. The Wrangler 4xE is probably as electrified as that model will ever be (albeit with range improvements as the tech improves).
Sponsored