Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
The trick on EV range, if you don't know it, is expect it to halve in cold weather at high speed.

The range is for medium warm day, 30-50mph.

I love our EV car but the range is wildly optimistic.
Yeah, I've been keeping up in our 4xe forum with the experiences of the Canadian adopters. They've been abysmally disappointed with their winter range. I'm in AL so would be less affected, unless I travel North to visit relatives. My main concern is the amount of time you'd need to plan for charging on those longer distances outside your battery range.

What would really be bad ass is if they could all get together and develop a single battery stack that could be interchanged. Like going to Wal-Mart and swapping out your propane tank. You'd pull up next to a vault or whatever, a forklift type deal would plug into your battery, it would disconnect, they'd pull the battery and insert a fully charged one so you could get back on your way. Now that would be cool. Just like my Xbox rechargeable batteries! LOL
Sponsored

amprice4

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4XE
I just want a Ram 1500 PHEV with 50 miles of electric range and a Hemi V8 under the hood.

Is that too much to ask for?!?!?!?

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Just passing by,
but what's the reason given for not being able to drop batteries in EV's as needed or swap them out?
In 50 mile packs etc?

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Just passing by,
but what's the reason given for not being able to drop batteries in EV's as needed or swap them out?
In 50 mile packs etc?
With my luck they'd only bring to market one that ran on 3,000 AA batteries. That would take forever to change out. I'd be the guy who put that 1 in the wrong way and it wouldn't work and I'd have to pull them all out trying to figure out which one it was...

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Like at a "gas" station or as something you store in your garage for when you want to give up cargo area?

Keep in mind that on something like a wrangler, 50 miles of range means 300ish lbs of batteries.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
It's not going to be a Wrangler, lol. Ya'll are crazy. Wrangler will go electric for 2028/2029, not before that.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
This is good news for Jeep’s image and should allow them to build plenty more 392s.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Just passing by,
In 50 mile packs etc?
My guess is first you would need the infrastructure to make this happen, to include a supply of the replacement batteries. I don't believe there is the capacity to produce excess batteries for this purpose. Additionally without a standard battery, each vehicle would need a specific pack, making it even more difficult to properly stock sufficient supplies.

Beyond that each vehicle would have to be designed to easily drop the battery from beneath and quickly reattach the replacement.

I also assume the battery warranty would be an issue that would need sorted out because you would be getting a random battery, not the one you are currently warrantied for.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
With my luck they'd only bring to market one that ran on 3,000 AA batteries. That would take forever to change out. I'd be the guy who put that 1 in the wrong way and it wouldn't work and I'd have to pull them all out trying to figure out which one it was...
Takes 800 C-cells, 600 D-cells, 2,000 AAA, 42 9-volts and the rest are those expensive little button batteries used in sleeves with an uncaptured spring that pops out and disappears.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
It's not going to be a Wrangler, lol. Ya'll are crazy. Wrangler will go electric for 2028/2029, not before that.
Respectfully disagree, if it's a Jeep, they are going to start with the flagship - the Wrangler. Look at how well the 4xe is selling, Stellantis will push hard for all-electric Jeep.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
This ^^

For me to have interest in one it'd have to be more like 325-350. You remove the ICE and there's no reason they couldn't add enough battery to make that happen.
No reason, other than cost, weight, battery supply, right?

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
No reason, other than cost, weight, battery supply, right?
The only EV currently on the market (tiny single digit deliveries) that has anywhere in the same ball park of an off road capability is the Hummer. That thing weighs over 9,000 lbs cost twice what a Rubicon XR costs, and they only have battery capacity to build a handful.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
I just want a Ram 1500 PHEV with 50 miles of electric range and a Hemi V8 under the hood.

Is that too much to ask for?!?!?!?
That's exactly what I want....

My daily mileage is probably less than 10 miles, so I have no need for 300+ mile range. I'd love to be able to just use electric for just cruising around my town to save on gas. However, I want to be able to stomp on it and get that 4.0 sec 0 to 60 from a 392 every now and then as well. Then when I decide I need to do an extended road trip a few times a year, I can just run it in v8 mode as necessary.

Just give me say max 50 miles with all electric power and electric assist with v8 when I want to stomp on it at a light and embarrass someone.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
They had the electric Jeep at last year's EJS, no? Wonder what we'll see this year.

CDRMidnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
My guess is that it'll be an electric Renegade, lined up right next to whatever the Fiat version of the same vehicle is/will be called.

Cheers,
-CM-
Sponsored