First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I just moved my jeep to the garage, btw. Totally freaked out.
I had my 2019 JLUR broken into about six months ago. It was on the third floor of a gated, high end apartment, with a security guard (worthless) and cameras at all the entrances and exits. None of that mattered. If they want your stuff, they’ll find a way.
Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Electronic defeat systems are useless. I post from experience. I equipped my XJ with a kill switch a concealed start button and pulled the main coil ignition wire when parked in my driveway 30 feet from my bedroom window; 10 feet from neighbor's bedroom window. Neighbor heard an idling truck at 2AM on an August Sunday morning, has two barking German Shepherds which never uttered a sound. Wife and I had just returned from a Utah wheeling trip. Had just unpacked the XJ and were dead tired. Thieves pulled the XJ off the driveway only leaving a couple chips of glass. Cops never followed up on the info, preemptive photos and licence numbers of out of town drug suspects staying in a rental across street. Jeep was recovered eight months later in a drug related shooting and chase beginning 2 miles from my house. Meth and a lot of blood was found inside the vehicle. Was awarded a fair insurance settlement nine months after theft, a lengthy appeal and support from state insurance commission following a very low ball offer from insurance company. Neighbors (the good ones) are booting and alarming their rides after enduring their own recent thefts from their driveways. Law enforcement pays little head to property crimes; New Mexico is a sanctuary State and local politicians do not cooperate with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Theft Made EASY Fate of an XJ

OP
OP
bigfoot21075

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Electronic defeat systems are useless. I post from experience. I equipped my XJ with a kill switch a concealed start button and pulled the main coil ignition wire when parked in my driveway 30 feet from my bedroom window; 10 feet from neighbor's bedroom window. Neighbor heard an idling truck at 2AM on an August Sunday morning, has two barking German Shepherds which never uttered a sound. Wife and I had just returned from a Utah wheeling trip. Had just unpacked the XJ and were dead tired. Thieves pulled the XJ off the driveway only leaving a couple chips of glass. Cops never followed up on the info, preemptive photos and licence numbers of out of town drug suspects staying in a rental across street. Jeep was recovered eight months later in a drug related shooting and chase beginning 2 miles from my house. Meth and a lot of blood was found inside the vehicle. Was awarded a fair insurance settlement nine months after theft, a lengthy appeal and support from state insurance commission following a very low ball offer from insurance company. Neighbors (the good ones) are booting and alarming their rides after enduring their own recent thefts from their driveways. Law enforcement pays little head to property crimes; New Mexico is a sanctuary State and local politicians do not cooperate with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Theft Made EASY Fate of an XJ
The VAST majority of vehicle thefts do not involve a tow truck.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
The VAST majority of vehicle thefts do not involve a tow truck.
Darryl, you live in Maryland. You're not qualified to comment regarding thefts in a border sanctuary state. Theft is a major source of employment here, a co-op business structure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bigfoot21075

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Darryl, you live in Maryland. You're not qualified to comment regarding thefts in a border sanctuary state. Theft is a major source of employment here, a co-op business structure.
First off I am the OP. Second my years as a LEO says otherwise, third Marylandastan is mostly sanctuary liberal counties.

Theft via a tow truck is very rare compared to other methods. Your assessment that electronic defeat devices are useless is at best absurd.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
Your assessment that electronic defeat devices are useless is at best absurd.
Experience, a rather credible source, says otherwise.
Being unable to distinguish between thefts motivated by convenience and thefts motivated by determination, your confusion is forgivable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigfoot21075

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Experience, a rather credible source, says otherwise.
Being unable to distinguish between thefts motivated by convenience and thefts motivated by determination, your confusion is forgivable.
By ALL MEANS post your data from your credible source. :LOL:

carpendj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2019 GMC Sierra AT4
Back in the late 90s I owned a Subaru WRX in the UK. Number 1 stolen vehicle at that time as they were great getaway cars. UK had a terrible time with car thefts, so much so that companies like Ford stopped selling some of their hot hatches. Thatchem Research began New Vehicle Security Assessment and also certifying vehicle security equipment like steering locks. My Subaru had a GPS tracking device, an alarm/immobilzer and the Thatchem approved steering lock listed below called "Disklok".
I had no idea you could get these in the US until now. Not sure if they are still as good as they used to be but nobody every stole my Subaru.

https://www.amazon.com/Disklok-Secu...KX0DER&qid=1619062759&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1

Link to Thatchem: https://www.thatcham.org/what-we-do/security/

Been living in the US for almost 20 years and haven't yet discovered a similar organization.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the late 90s I owned a Subaru WRX in the UK. Number 1 stolen vehicle at that time as they were great getaway cars. UK had a terrible time with car thefts, so much so that companies like Ford stopped selling some of their hot hatches. Thatchem Research began New Vehicle Security Assessment and also certifying vehicle security equipment like steering locks. My Subaru had a GPS tracking device, an alarm/immobilzer and the Thatchem approved steering lock listed below called "Disklok".
I had no idea you could get these in the US until now. Not sure if they are still as good as they used to be but nobody every stole my Subaru.

https://www.amazon.com/Disklok-Secu...KX0DER&qid=1619062759&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1

Link to Thatchem: https://www.thatcham.org/what-we-do/security/

Been living in the US for almost 20 years and haven't yet discovered a similar organization.
I just read the first 1 star comment in amazon and it seems useless in keeping someone from taking the vehicle if they can still control steering from the back side of it. Guy demonstrates it in his video on the review. I thought it was cool at first till I saw that

Sponsored

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Motion lights set at the longest “on“ times.

Bad guys like to work in the dark, light them up like daylight when they enter your property.

Last edited:

carpendj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2019 GMC Sierra AT4
I just read the first 1 star comment in amazon and it seems useless in keeping someone from taking the vehicle if they can still control steering from the back side of it. Guy demonstrates it in his video on the review. I thought it was cool at first till I saw that
He probably purchased the incorrect size. I had one for years and no way I could have driven or turned wheel with it on.

gschones

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I think that any car can be stolen. I personally am not going to spend time worring about it. If by some chance my Jeep does get stolen I will call my insurance company and start shopping for a new one.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
If my vehicle is stolen I probably don't want to find it. It could have minor damage and be repaired. Then something is missed and is a problem.

No, its better to simply claim on the insurance and get a new vehicle.
Sponsored