Sponsored

Jeep Theft Made EASY

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I was at a show a few years ago where a guy was demonstrating lock pick tools. He pick open a Club in less than ten seconds
Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

lol you guys are spending more time and money trying to prevent your easily replaceable jeep form getting stolen than the cost of the deductible on your insurance.

I'd just take the insurance money and order another car. I won't even be locking mine when the soft top is on it, just to avoid the aggravation of someone cutting through the top to look for loose change.

then again we live in a neighborhood of 600 homes and there hasn't been a car theft in the 7 years we've been here.
I understand the reflex to just say, oh well the thieves got my vehicle but I have insurance so no big deal. However that is the exact opposite of the correct attitude to have with these vermin. Stealing someone's Jeep is one of the most vile, and intrusive crimes out there. Only taking another man's motorcycle is a worse crime.

If I even had a hint Jeep thieves were operating in my neighborhood, I would sit outside and hide in the bushes of my yard, for days if necessary, in a gilly suit and with a high powered firearm. Then as the thieves were trying this little techie trick to get my fob code (or heaven help them trying to physically get into my just-bought $50K Jeep) I would blast them.

Then, since I don't live in Texas ( which allows you to use deadly force to protect personal property) I'd drag their dead bodies into my house by their ankles so I could claim they were burglers and I acted in self defense.

That is the correct attitude to have when it comes to a Jeep thief.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
All I ask is that if a thieve gets any of my vehicles, is that they take it and do whatever with it, but please just don't use, use and abuse or whatever, and leave it somewhere law enforcement can recover it... BE GONE with it ... make it disappear forever.......so I can collect my friggin insurance $ and move on to a new ride.... I don't want it back after it has been violated....

FCCinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Why haven’t auto manufacturers incorporated biometric devices in vehicles? If iPhones have thumbprint readers, why can’t those be used as a secondary authentication with a thumbprint reader on the door handle or start button? I guess that jeep would have to make passive entry standard then.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I was at a show a few years ago where a guy was demonstrating lock pick tools. He pick open a Club in less than ten seconds
That's not the point.

Your average car thief will, upon seeing a club, move on to the next car that doesn't have one.

If they really want your car, they will take it.; the idea is most are looking for the easiest/simplest target.

It also dissuades most joyriders.

Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Why haven’t auto manufacturers incorporated biometric devices in vehicles? If iPhones have thumbprint readers, why can’t those be used as a secondary authentication with a thumbprint reader on the door handle or start button?
Because, once again, it's not their problem.

Your car gets stolen, you replace it, they get double the sales.

Where's the downside for them?

Are people going to stop buying Jeeps because they're easy to steal? They never have before.

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you watch any videos from the lock picking lawyer, you'll understand how even the best locks only keep out honest people.

Honestly, just toss your keys in a small 30$ faraday box, and the JL is now harder to steal then a JK or any older wrangler. People on here brag about how much they spent on their jeep, and mods, but they frown at 30$ that will make their jeep nearly theft proof.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If you watch any videos from the lock picking lawyer, you'll understand how even the best locks only keep out honest people.

Honestly, just toss your keys in a small 30$ faraday box, and the JL is now harder to steal then a JK or any older wrangler. People on here brag about how much they spent on their jeep, and mods, but they frown at 30$ that will make their jeep nearly theft proof.
Chocolates come in metal boxes, with metal lids.
Just buy some chocolates, eat them and use the box.

Make sure that the lid is on right. Any gap and the faraday (chocolate) box doesn't work.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Man, some of You guys are hilariously naive.
TL;DR:

Technically, even a kill switch won't stop them if they're a professional. They'll roll up with a truck, load it up, and drive away to a chop shop before anyone knows. Most of the time, these aren't isolated incidents, nor are opportunistic thieves/ tweakers/ etc.

Before I get any internet side eye looks:
I've lived in PLENTY of sketchy areas, and I know enough people who know sketchy people. Likewise, I've been through enough corporate security trainings in my life where I can almost recite the same principles from memory. It usually boils down to: Be aware, be safe, be vigilant, and don't leave things just sitting around unlocked.

Case in point: When I was in college, in a class (intro to Databases, IIRC) and we were going over information security- the professor asked the class:
"If you're a car thief, what car do you steal?"
People gave the typical answers: The expensive ones, the popular ones, the first one you find, etc. I blurted out:
"The one that's unlocked"
Everyone went dead silent and looked at me in shock.
The professor smiled and said "exactly"
A couple people asked how I knew that, and I told them it happened before in places I lived.
The professor went on to explain: most of the time a deterrent is good enough, the would be thief will move on. That's what most count on: they're opportunistic. But if they really want your information, they'll find a vulnerability and exploit it- be it social engineering or technical exploit.

From what I've read, this is how a lot of modern vehicles are getting stolen. It's "targeted", and "professional"- meaning it isn't just your local Tweaker/ drug dealer/ thief looking for a getaway car. They're probably jacking the vehicles, sending them to chop shops, and/or to another country. They had some vehicles get stolen off lots up here just by opening the hood and swapping the ECM.

this is far more common than you would think, once people move to "Nice neighborhoods" they leave their vehicles unlocked. Sometimes they leave the keys in them. People get lazy, and dumb. That's all a potential car thief at any level needs to realize. You start casing the neighborhood, figure out people's patterns, and then just walk up and drive away when no one is looking. Hell, i've seen people leave their vehicles running with their kids inside when they pull up to a gas station/ convenience store, and then just walk away without locking anything. There was even a story recently where someone stole a car, doubled back to drop the kid who was in the car off, scolded the owner for leaving their kid in an unlocked car, and then took off.

Pretty sure you can still push start? And you're good until you shut it down next.

Can still pop the hood, connect another ECM they have keys to, and drive away. As mentioned before and above.
True about the tow truck and the ECM swap Scott. Also true that a steering wheel could be cut in a minute to beat “The Club” devise.
I also had the “pleasure” of talking to a lowlife in the 80’s who used to steal cars for smash and grab robberies. I remember asking him about “The Club” anti theft devise. (They were extremely popular back then). Just like you said, he told me “we just move onto another car”.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I a real car thief wants your vehicle, it is gone, regardless.
This is true Jim but a lot of thieves will take the easier to get vehicle over the ones they have to work for.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Instead of keeping your key fob In a protective box you could keep your Jeep in a protective box... aka... garage. My doors and top are off most of the year. I keep my Jeep in the garage and my junk elsewhere.
What about when you’re food shopping?

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I've learned over the years that having a nice new vehicle, whether a sports car or 4x4, adds stress to my life. So much so, that it outweighs the "good" feeling of new and shiney vehicles. I feel much better about my vehicles a few years into ownership, when it has a few nicks and dings and isn't as attractive to the international trafficing thieves we have here in Socal. There's a sweet spot of new enough for me and old enough to be less attractive to thieves and less stressful to me for parking lot rash.
Sometimes it’s not even the stealing of the whole vehicle. About 10-15 years ago I remember here in NYC there was a rash of Honda mirrors (expensive) being stolen.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the last century, I had a steel gadget with a key lock. At one end, it hooked over the steering wheel and the other end hooked around the brake pedal. This makes the car impossible to steal. I have noted since fobs came along these gadgets are rarely seen in auto stores.
Impossible to steal? They cut your steering wheel in a minute. Devise becomes a coat hanger.
Sponsored