Sponsored

Jeep Theft Made EASY

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
It seems like the chipped mechanical key, like in my 14 GMC truck, was the better security compared to these keyless button things.
As I mentioned before, if you use the wrong chip, it disables the vehicle for 3 minutes. No thief is going to wait around trying up to 15 resistors with a 3 minute wait in between. The downside is that if you're resistor reader starts going bad, as my '02 T/A recently did, and you end up sitting in front of you favorite pizza place with a fresh pie begging the car to start after the 3 minute wait ;)
Sponsored

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
it is 2021 for god sake, you would think that every car made these days would have tracking devise as standard equipment.....
If thieves knew every car had tracking this kinda shit would be a thing of the past.
I know its a privacy issue for some, but those people all have smart phones and should realize they can be tracked pretty easily already ... Sad how our four year old iPhones have better security than our brand new cars these days

any car that has sat/nav should be easily traced without incurring much cost....most newer cars these days all have nav

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
I believe vehicles with uconnect and 4G LTE can be GPS tracked and engine remotely disabled.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

Sponsored

OP
OP
bigfoot21075

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
it is 2021 for god sake, you would think that every car made these days would have tracking devise as standard equipment.....
If thieves knew every car had tracking this kinda shit would be a thing of the past.
I know its a privacy issue for some, but those people all have smart phones and should realize they can be tracked pretty easily already ... Sad how our four year old iPhones have better security than our brand new cars these days

any car that has sat/nav should be easily traced without incurring much cost....most newer cars these days all have nav
No way in hell is that acceptable.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Theives know that the vehicles can be GPS tracked. One of the first things they do is cut the battery cable or disconnect the battery.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Put the transfer case in Neutral and pull the emergency brake. Average thief will probably never figure it out. Or pull the Manual park release and put the cover back on.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
The thieves, when/if found, should be staked over an ant hill wearing nothing but their skivvies and a thin coating of maple syrup...

I F'N HATE THEIVES!
why are you so nice? I can think of better ways but will not mention them.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
How would that increase FCA's profits?

This way your Jeep gets stolen, you get an insurance payout, you buy a new Jeep, they sell two vehicles.

Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Same, wife drives a Kia. Backup vehicle is safe! lol
The problem has been particularly bad for Kia owners. In January of this year, 8 Kias were stolen in Denver. That rose to 13 in February and has been steadily increasing ever since. In November, 74 Kias were reported stolen.
Kyle said they are one of the top 10 stolen brands in Denver because they are easy to steal and easy to start. The police commander said about 80% of vehicles stolen in Denver are recovered within a few days, but neither of Reiss’ stolen Kias have turned up.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
A good friend of mine had a nice classic RX-7 with a killer alarm including back-up battery. It disappeared in the middle of the night from an apartment complex. One neighbor said he heard a truck in the middle of the night. Cops think they used a flat bed wrecker. They will get it if they want it.
Precisely.

The only purpose of car anti-theft devices, like home alarm systems, is to make the thief pick an easier target.

If they want your car, (or to break into your home), they will.

Look how many celebrities in Los Angeles get robbed despite having alarm systems and private security contracts.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Don't expect theft to get any better any time soon. My lovely state of CT made it so that if the thieve is caught and is a juvie, they basically get released the same night.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I just had a great idea to prevent theft of Auto JL Wranglers - wire in a hidden switch that disables the signal from the door and the seat belt, so that if someone tries to steal it the Autopark engages and won't let them shift out of park until they find the switch :)

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tbd
lol you guys are spending more time and money trying to prevent your easily replaceable jeep form getting stolen than the cost of the deductible on your insurance.

I'd just take the insurance money and order another car. I won't even be locking mine when the soft top is on it, just to avoid the aggravation of someone cutting through the top to look for loose change.

then again we live in a neighborhood of 600 homes and there hasn't been a car theft in the 7 years we've been here.
Sponsored