Jeep Theft Made EASY

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've learned over the years that having a nice new vehicle, whether a sports car or 4x4, adds stress to my life. So much so, that it outweighs the "good" feeling of new and shiney vehicles. I feel much better about my vehicles a few years into ownership, when it has a few nicks and dings and isn't as attractive to the international trafficing thieves we have here in Socal. There's a sweet spot of new enough for me and old enough to be less attractive to thieves and less stressful to me for parking lot rash.
Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I've learned over the years that having a nice new vehicle, whether a sports car or 4x4, adds stress to my life. So much so, that it outweighs the "good" feeling of new and shiney vehicles. I feel much better about my vehicles a few years into ownership, when it has a few nicks and dings and isn't as attractive to the international trafficing thieves we have here in Socal. There's a sweet spot of new enough for me and old enough to be less attractive to thieves and less stressful to me for parking lot rash.
Did you buy new or used? I bought mine used with scratches all over. Especially the hood because rental drivers love sitting there for pictures :mad:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Did you buy new or used? I bought mine used with scratches all over. Especially the hood because rental drivers love sitting there for pictures :mad:
I bought new 2 years ago. Its starting to feel just right.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Thieves have been stealing cars since they were invented. This is nothing new. If they want your Jeep they will get it. After working almost 30 years in a prison, I have seen that anything and everything can be stolen.

The club or steering wheel locks, still have a lock on them and can be bypassed in seconds, or you just cut the steering wheel and remove it. Both are easy to do and take seconds. Same thing with the stick that locks the brakes.

Locked doors, I can open just about any car with a wood dowel and a wedge. Jeeps are even easier. Hell if you don't want to break anything, a 10mm wrench or socket can remove the rear window in about a minutes from the outside. Wreckers are often used to steal vehicles with more sophisticated anti theft deterrents.

If you think it is safe in your garage, just know that hacking your garage door opener is even easier than hacking your fob.

Keep insurance on your Jeep and try not to worry about it.

On a side note, everyone hates a thief. Even other convicts hate a thief.

One more thing, don't buy gun safes with an electronic key pad. Those are easily bypassed too.
So... keep the JLUR in the garage and park the rusty old CJ outside in front of it. That thing would squeak so loud just rolling it out of the way in neutral would wake up the neighborhood.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Damn rental Jeeps. Caught a nasty infection from one in Hawaii. My disease has progressed to the point that I now own 4 old Jeeps and just ordered a new one.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Some car manufacturers already have this technology in use. Kwikset has a app for their electronic entry locks that lets you lock and unlock the door from an app on your phone (although it’s reliability is garbage) as well as a touchpad or hard key.
My front door recognizes when I am not home and then when I get close to the door it automatically unlocks. At least it did, now I have the same on the garage door, now I disabled auto-unlock on front door. Yale locks seem to have great reliability so far. Can program codes for different people, make timed codes that dont work all the time or go away after preset time... pretty nice these days, only carry my Jeep fob & work fob. Leave my random keys at the house.

Sponsored

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
I think I’m safe - no remote start function, a manual transmission, and the final theft deterrence feature (only recently made aware) is the explosive grenading clutch. Clutch recall be damned...this clutch bomb is the total solution for would be theives.
Manual transmissions should get an insurance 'anti-theft' discount. Even if the thief can drive a manual (which apparently few can?), word will get out about exploding clutches and they won't dare use them to run from the popo LOL!:CWL:

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Damn rental Jeeps. Caught a nasty infection from one in Hawaii. My disease has progressed to the point that I now own 4 old Jeeps and just ordered a new one.
Damn I need to get rid of these cloth seats then, shit. My JL started in FL, then NC and then made it's way up to NJ with 27k miles of rental drivers. At least it's good to know if the powertrain made it this far, then I should be safe, no?

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
As for flatbeds and tow trucks, that is also a concern and adds a level of security for the thief in that if they tow the vehicle backwards, the plate is tough to see for cops, but more importantly, if they have a an open request for a similar vehicle, then they can get caught red handed and just play dumb...

A few years ago on the Harley forum a guy had his bike repo'd in the middle of the day while he was at work. The problem was, he owned the bike outright. He got it back, with a bit of damage, but the killer part was the repo order was a completely different year and model, though the same color. The repo guy said he thought it was the right bike, and the police said nothing we can do, but the consensus in the thread was that the repo guy had an order for a black harley, and was going to steal a few while he had the paperwork. A couple LEOs said it wasn't all that uncommon, and if they get caught they just say they made a mistake and nothing happens.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It seems like the chipped mechanical key, like in my 14 GMC truck, was the better security compared to these keyless button things.
Sponsored