First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Use a hidden brake signal interrupt switch. Can't get it into gear without that signal. Starts but not going anywhere.
Or can also use a hidden switch to disable the starter enable signal wire.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I've seen videos of people sawing through the steering wheel to easily get rid of a Club. -I would like to add a remote kill switch to my JL 6 speed, does anyone have a wiring diagram to do so?
Frankly, you can get fancy or you can keep it simple. Both are just as effective (i.e. if a thief can't find it, he won't be able to defeat it).

For simple, just get a $30 QuickCar kill switch. Mount it somewhere odd (under the hood, in the console, etc.). You should wire it in-line to the negative battery terminal. Do NOT follow the kill switch wiring directions, as that has it wired to actually kill the car when running. You don't want that. All you want is to not allow starting once it's stopped.

Sponsored

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
Or buy a Sport. Manual locks and no remote start.

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
I remember in the mid 90’s my dad locked the keys in the Pontiac on vacation. Both keys the one to unlock and the one to start the car. The Park Ranger showed up in his Chevy Blazer and said “I’ll try my keys”. They worked. His keys for his Blazer unlocked our Pontiac. I guess back then they only made like 16 keys to get in the car and 16 to start the car. I think if someone really wants your stuff they will find a way to get it.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Man, some of You guys are hilariously naive.
TL;DR:
The reality is that no matter what you do, if they want it, they will find a way to get it.
Technically, even a kill switch won't stop them if they're a professional. They'll roll up with a truck, load it up, and drive away to a chop shop before anyone knows. Most of the time, these aren't isolated incidents, nor are opportunistic thieves/ tweakers/ etc.

Before I get any internet side eye looks:
I've lived in PLENTY of sketchy areas, and I know enough people who know sketchy people. Likewise, I've been through enough corporate security trainings in my life where I can almost recite the same principles from memory. It usually boils down to: Be aware, be safe, be vigilant, and don't leave things just sitting around unlocked.

Case in point: When I was in college, in a class (intro to Databases, IIRC) and we were going over information security- the professor asked the class:
"If you're a car thief, what car do you steal?"
People gave the typical answers: The expensive ones, the popular ones, the first one you find, etc. I blurted out:
"The one that's unlocked"
Everyone went dead silent and looked at me in shock.
The professor smiled and said "exactly"
A couple people asked how I knew that, and I told them it happened before in places I lived.
The professor went on to explain: most of the time a deterrent is good enough, the would be thief will move on. That's what most count on: they're opportunistic. But if they really want your information, they'll find a vulnerability and exploit it- be it social engineering or technical exploit.

there are a few fob holders out there that help with this but nothing is perfect. its as simple as popping the good and swapping the eco with one that a thief has the key for these days. get yours self a bolt or some other means of locking the hood. nothing is safe these days. they will take it if they want it bad enough.
From what I've read, this is how a lot of modern vehicles are getting stolen. It's "targeted", and "professional"- meaning it isn't just your local Tweaker/ drug dealer/ thief looking for a getaway car. They're probably jacking the vehicles, sending them to chop shops, and/or to another country. They had some vehicles get stolen off lots up here just by opening the hood and swapping the ECM.

The article does not state the model year of the Jeeps stolen, and I also think it is interesting that the thieves stole only 1 of 3 in a single driveway, but then stole 2 more throughout the rest of the neighborhood.

Before you freak out about your FOBs, I know 3 people that have had a vehicle stolen, and ALL 3 had left the key or FOB in the car! I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this was the case for all 3, heck the one guy said he was working on his Jeep all day - very easy to leave the FOB (or key) in when working on it all day.
this is far more common than you would think, once people move to "Nice neighborhoods" they leave their vehicles unlocked. Sometimes they leave the keys in them. People get lazy, and dumb. That's all a potential car thief at any level needs to realize. You start casing the neighborhood, figure out people's patterns, and then just walk up and drive away when no one is looking. Hell, i've seen people leave their vehicles running with their kids inside when they pull up to a gas station/ convenience store, and then just walk away without locking anything. There was even a story recently where someone stole a car, doubled back to drop the kid who was in the car off, scolded the owner for leaving their kid in an unlocked car, and then took off.

I guess manual transmissions and key locks aren't so bad after all..My base Sport has the manual locks, only 3 entry points, so not a hassle. Hardtop
Pretty sure you can still push start? And you're good until you shut it down next.

Or buy a Sport. Manual locks and no remote start.
Can still pop the hood, connect another ECM they have keys to, and drive away. As mentioned before and above.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
On my Mercedes you could double tap the lock button and the fob would stop broadcasting, not sure if Jeep fobs have such a feature?
...Or you could just "double tap" the thief.

Just sayin'. 😎

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
If you don't mind staying up all night (and all day) this is an effective theft deterrent.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Theft Made EASY 27392-DEFAULT-l

Sponsored

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man, some of You guys are hilariously naive.
TL;DR:

Technically, even a kill switch won't stop them if they're a professional. They'll roll up with a truck, load it up, and drive away to a chop shop before anyone knows. Most of the time, these aren't isolated incidents, nor are opportunistic thieves/ tweakers/ etc.

Before I get any internet side eye looks:
I've lived in PLENTY of sketchy areas, and I know enough people who know sketchy people. Likewise, I've been through enough corporate security trainings in my life where I can almost recite the same principles from memory. It usually boils down to: Be aware, be safe, be vigilant, and don't leave things just sitting around unlocked.

Case in point: When I was in college, in a class (intro to Databases, IIRC) and we were going over information security- the professor asked the class:
"If you're a car thief, what car do you steal?"
People gave the typical answers: The expensive ones, the popular ones, the first one you find, etc. I blurted out:
"The one that's unlocked"
Everyone went dead silent and looked at me in shock.
The professor smiled and said "exactly"
A couple people asked how I knew that, and I told them it happened before in places I lived.
The professor went on to explain: most of the time a deterrent is good enough, the would be thief will move on. That's what most count on: they're opportunistic. But if they really want your information, they'll find a vulnerability and exploit it- be it social engineering or technical exploit.

From what I've read, this is how a lot of modern vehicles are getting stolen. It's "targeted", and "professional"- meaning it isn't just your local Tweaker/ drug dealer/ thief looking for a getaway car. They're probably jacking the vehicles, sending them to chop shops, and/or to another country. They had some vehicles get stolen off lots up here just by opening the hood and swapping the ECM.

this is far more common than you would think, once people move to "Nice neighborhoods" they leave their vehicles unlocked. Sometimes they leave the keys in them. People get lazy, and dumb. That's all a potential car thief at any level needs to realize. You start casing the neighborhood, figure out people's patterns, and then just walk up and drive away when no one is looking. Hell, i've seen people leave their vehicles running with their kids inside when they pull up to a gas station/ convenience store, and then just walk away without locking anything. There was even a story recently where someone stole a car, doubled back to drop the kid who was in the car off, scolded the owner for leaving their kid in an unlocked car, and then took off.

Pretty sure you can still push start? And you're good until you shut it down next.

Can still pop the hood, connect another ECM they have keys to, and drive away. As mentioned before and above.
Did I fail to mention a hood lock (keyed, not remote).

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I a real car thief wants your vehicle, it is gone, regardless.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Exactly. Jeeps were stolen because they’re popular and profitable and easy to sell. Key fob technology of almost all vehicles are just as vulnerable, but Kias aren’t stolen a bunch because they’re Kias.

If this worries you store your fobs in a faraday bag when not in use.
I store my jeep in a faraday cage, and leave my key fob in the driveway. Problem solved.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer

carpendj

Threads
Reaction score