Sponsored

Jeep Theft Made EASY

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Did a little quick research, and wow - if you leave your vehicle (not just Wranglers) unlocked, all someone needs is a Smart Pro and a FOB and they can be gone in less than 2 minutes:

You can buy a Smart Pro for $3800 MSRP, probably much less if you shop around. I'd bet lots of money these are being used to steal unlocked vehicles.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm really liking my attached garage and hidden motion sensing camera right now. Why advertise your perimeter with some barking dog (which a thief can preemptively ventilate from a distance with a suppressed weapon) when you can confront the offender on your terms using the element of surprise?

I have not researched the effectiveness of this...

"There are also protective pouches and boxes available that block the signal."
I have. The key pouches work, and work well. I now give them as Christmas gifts (example). Every recipient has expressed doubt until I demo the Faraday bag; their vehicles are dead in the water until the fobs are fully removed from the bag so as to disable the shielding effect.

They're another tool in the box; granted, this is a continuing arms race.

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
Did a little quick research, and wow - if you leave your vehicle (not just Wranglers) unlocked, all someone needs is a Smart Pro and a FOB and they can be gone in less than 2 minutes
Key programming is absolutely used to steal vehicles on a regular basis. However don't assume your door locks are doing anything for you.

You can also buy a vehicle unlock kit for about 100 bucks that'll get you into just about anything without leaving a mark. Not gonna post links or anything they're tools for locksmiths and mechanics. I've gotten a couple calls from friends/family to get in and they're always thankful but a little horrified I got into their locked car in 30-60 seconds

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
You can also buy a vehicle unlock kit for about 100 bucks that'll get you into just about anything without leaving a mark. Not gonna post links or anything they're tools for locksmiths and mechanics. I've gotten a couple calls from friends/family to get in and they're always thankful but a little horrified I got into their locked car in 30-60 seconds
I remember two events that forced me to adjust my perception of "security":

1. When the AAA-contracted tow truck driver used a Slim Jim to unlock my truck, in which I had left my [traditional] keys. <60 seconds, done.

2. When I had a windshield replaced on a Toyota that I used to own. Just 1 or 2 proprietary hand tools and a few minutes of careful cutting of the seal, and the technician had the glass loose and ready to be lifted off. Those same tools are sold at Harbor Freight, and elsewhere.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I’m so old I remember when we had these funny shaped little metal things. You slipped them into a hole in the dash and turned them and voila, the vehicle would start😊. You could also use ‘em to lock the doors and other useful stuff. They were too complicated so the wonder folks who develop technology found a “better” solution😏. Another high tech solution to a low tech problem☹

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
I’m so old I remember when we had these funny shaped little metal things. You slipped them into a hole in the dash and turned them and voila, the vehicle would start😊. You could also use ‘em to lock the doors and other useful stuff. They were too complicated so the wonder folks who develop technology found a “better” solution😏. Another high tech solution to a low tech problem☹
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Theft Made EASY tenor

lol all in fun, don't take it personally.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I’m surprised no one mentioned a throttle controller. I have the hikeit and at least in that I can set a pin so that the throttle is useless until the pin is entered. Small deterrent if they know how it is hooked up.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Let’s be real. Hot wiring an old fashioned vehicle that uses a key is not any more difficult for a thief.

I love my proximity locks and push button start.

Sponsored

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
so is the consensus those faraday boxes and key holders are useless or still provide some protection?

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I'd say with a FOB programmer the faraday box or key holder is useless. If I was stealing cars I wouldn't want to creep around someone's house hoping to get a signal from the FOB, I'd want to know I could get away quickly.

As for getting into an unlocked car, the above posters are correct and I didn't think of that, but yes, having locked keys in vehicles back in the ay I can also attest to how quickly someone can get in if they want. I remember calling AAA because my dad locked his keys in his motorcycle trailer. I had to listen to 30 minutes of my dad telling me he didn't know how they could possibly open the door because he had the best pad lock on the market and it couldn't be picked or cut. Locksmith showed up, took one look, and picked that padlock in about 9 seconds flat. I'll never forget the look on my dad's face :)

I'm actually starting to have respect for the VATs system in GMs. Sure, all they were was 1 of 15 resistors, but use the wrong resistor and it disables the car for 3 minutes. So yeah, you can break the cylinder or hot wire, but is could take you up to 45 minutes to get the correct resistor.

VinnyV2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 6 speed
I've seen videos of people sawing through the steering wheel to easily get rid of a Club. -I would like to add a remote kill switch to my JL 6 speed, does anyone have a wiring diagram to do so?

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian