John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just saying my Jeep doesn't even start when I'm standing with the door open and push run (and the brake with my hand). if my Key is not 100% inside the vehicle it wont start. Heck, it's thrown the key fob message with the doors off and my key in my outside pocket.

I agree with others, I'm sure that people forgot the fob in the vehicle overnight, I know I have before.
Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
with touch screens, they should have an option to enter a pin code to start the vehicle if someone wants to turn on that option. And a quick way before shutting off the vehicle to require pin on next start. :)

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Would a Tazer allow tracking and immobilization , something through a cell phone app ?
I don't know what Tazer could do but you could get a bluetooth tracker, like Tile, and put that somewhere on the Jeep. At one point Tile made a car tracker but I'm not immediately seeing it on their website now.

So with that said I don't know how effective it might be. The Tile itself has to be within bluetooth range of a phone that has the app installed. So it's not like a live GPS tracker. I will throw a Tile into my suitcase when I fly, I can typically see when the suitcase gets loaded on the plane with me (so I know it's not lost) then I can set it to alarm when it gets in range of my phone as I wait at the baggage claim (mine is the black soft sided one with wheels, like everyone else, but mine has an alarm going off, yes it helps when you're at a particularly busy carousel). The one time my bag got lost was at Disney World. They had a service where when you get off the plane they'll grab your luggage and deliver it for you. My bag didn't make it for whatever reason. I marked the Tile in it as lost, so in theory when someone with the app got near the bag my phone would tell me. Disney said they'd take care of it and off I went to have a good time. I didn't get an alert about my luggage until I was nearly back at my room. Disney had found the bag and put it in there for me. That experience has left me slightly disappointed in Tile. I had hoped that somewhere at the airport then on the road all the way to the resort someone else's phone would have pinged it and let me know.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
My chow, and now my 2 GSD do an excellent job of preventing access to my driveway.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
The reality is that no matter what you do, if they want it, they will find a way to get it.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I hate carrying keys. Especially the rediculously large Jeep Fob.
I am looking forward to the day when I can just use my phone to unlock and drive the car, as well as the house.
Having to use my phone's authentication (finger print or face ID) would actually be more secure than using a phyical key which could be stolen or lost.
Yeah, but my phone is now rediculously large.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have my Jeep - and a Kia - that way I will always have something to drive if thieves show up.
I need to get a Kia. Whats a Kia?

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Sponsored

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Stingray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if anyone has already stated this but if you put your key fob in the microwave it blocks the signal and will not allow any device to boost signal. Only down side is you have to remember to remove key before you cook something!

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Yeah, but my phone is now rediculously large.
Apple has a car key feature in its Wallet app, but I think only BMW and Hyundai do it at this time.

Last edited:

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I don't know if anyone has already stated this but if you put your key fob in the microwave it blocks the signal and will not allow any device to boost signal. Only down side is you have to remember to remove key before you cook something!
Well a microwave is a faraday cage. That's why it doesn't cook you along with your food.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yeah the great push button craze offers something for everyone, theives included.

So now that we have all this "convenience" of push button ignitions, we have to keep the dam thing in a faraday cage and get it out of that device when we want to start our "convenient" vehicles. This is working out really well.
As opposed to the old style where the crackheads would just tear your steering column apart and shove a screwdriver in the ignition switch.

Thieves will always be there.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
While I previously mentioned that the 3 people I know who've had vehicles stolen all left the keys in them and unlocked, I've been thinking more about this story. I don't think the FOBs were left in the vehicles as it would be a heck of a coincidence to find 3 wranglers in the same neighborhood on the same night with the FOBs inside, and I don't think they used a code grabber because I think you have to get pretty close to the FOB, and that involves creeping around the bedroom window and hoping they keep it in the nightstand next to the window.

With all 3 stolen jeeps heading to Miami, I certainly think this was targeted and they either were able to get keys in advance by scoping the VIN numbers and ordering replacements somehow, or they replaced the BCMs as somebody else had mentioned. If that works, it would be super easy on a Wrangler since you don't have to get inside to unlock the hood - pop the hood, unplug old BCM, plug in new, maybe throw a zip tie on it to secure, close hood and go
Sponsored