Jeep Theft Made EASY

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This is only an issue with keyless remote entry, correct? My fob doesn’t send a signal unless I push a button.
I believe the fob is a "transponder". That is, it has a receiver that wakes from a "ping" when you push the ignition button, then sends (transmits) the code necessary to unlock the ignition. My understanding is that sophisticated theives create a device that pings fobs and receieves codes, stores the code and then is used to open and start the vehicle. This can happen when your fob is within range of the thief's device. That can happen when you get out at the shopping center and walk away from your vehicle.
Sponsored

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Back to the Old School " Club". It locks the steering wheel, brake pedal. Guess we need a Retinal Reader to prevent theft
Would a Tazer allow tracking and immobilization , something through a cell phone app ?
I wonder if this might be something Tazer can do. I imagine a feature when activated requiring a combination of button presses to start the vehicle.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Back to the Old School " Club". It locks the steering wheel, brake pedal. Guess we need a Retinal Reader to prevent theft
Would a Tazer allow tracking and immobilization , something through a cell phone app ?
The Club!!! I had one for my YJ back in the day. Too bad it didn't stop people from stealing 3 stereos from the Jeep before I finally decided that driving without music was way less stressful on my wallet.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the 70's I had a toggle switch in the grill that would kill all power. Easy enough to flick somewhat unnoticed.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Im going to be one of those guys and say "I miss the good old days with actual keys" Cause I do! I wish my Jeep still had a legit ignition key instead of this stupid fob. I do not have keyless entry, electric locks or windows so i am literally stuck with this large, stupid piece of plastic to drive my Jeep. It is lame.

There is also something very satisfying about sticking a key in and turning it.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Police have been advising for years not to leave your Key Fob near the doors or walls close to the Jeep. In 2015, there was a wave of Jeep thefts in SoCal using this re-broadcasting method to unlock the doors and disable the alarms.

At least for me, my garage is pretty far away and made of concrete. Likewise, my house is from 1905 and has 2 foot thick stone walls. You're lucky to get wifi in the next room, let alone a RFID signal.

There is always a chance something bad will happen to you, but no reason to worry too much about it.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The article does not state the model year of the Jeeps stolen, and I also think it is interesting that the thieves stole only 1 of 3 in a single driveway, but then stole 2 more throughout the rest of the neighborhood.

Before you freak out about your FOBs, I know 3 people that have had a vehicle stolen, and ALL 3 had left the key or FOB in the car! I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this was the case for all 3, heck the one guy said he was working on his Jeep all day - very easy to leave the FOB (or key) in when working on it all day.
The video clearly shows that the sons blue Jeep is a JLU so anywhere from 2018 till now. The white one is also a JLU. Safe to assume they were all new.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
You don't need to keep your key fob in a faraday cage to prevent theft. All it takes is a computer to scan and trigger the frequency of a FOB. Tesla went through the same issue except their solution I believe was to add two-factor authentication, such as putting in a PIN code to shift from park.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Im going to be one of those guys and say "I miss the good old days with actual keys" Cause I do! I wish my Jeep still had a legit ignition key instead of this stupid fob. I do not have keyless entry, electric locks or windows so i am literally stuck with this large, stupid piece of plastic to drive my Jeep. It is lame.

There is also something very satisfying about sticking a key in and turning it.
I hate carrying keys. Especially the rediculously large Jeep Fob.
I am looking forward to the day when I can just use my phone to unlock and drive the car, as well as the house.
Having to use my phone's authentication (finger print or face ID) would actually be more secure than using a phyical key which could be stolen or lost.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Key fob technology of almost all vehicles are just as vulnerable, but Kias aren’t stolen a bunch because they’re Kias.
I have my Jeep - and a Kia - that way I will always have something to drive if thieves show up.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I am looking forward to the day when I can just use my phone to unlock and drive the car, as well as the house.
Having to use my phone's authentication (finger print or face ID) would actually be more secure than using a phyical key which could be stolen or lost.
Some car manufacturers already have this technology in use. Kwikset has a app for their electronic entry locks that lets you lock and unlock the door from an app on your phone (although it’s reliability is garbage) as well as a touchpad or hard key.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I think I’m safe - no remote start function, a manual transmission, and the final theft deterrence feature (only recently made aware) is the explosive grenading clutch. Clutch recall be damned...this clutch bomb is the total solution for would be theives.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
On my Mercedes you could double tap the lock button and the fob would stop broadcasting, not sure if Jeep fobs have such a feature?
Yes. But the procedure is slightly different.

You need to untap the back of the fob and remove the battery... :LOL:

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Till that day comes where your touch screen stops working or your phone completely glitches out and becomes unusable :like:
Sponsored