Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
I have not researched the effectiveness of this BUT this is from the link provided above:

"To protect yourself, experts say to keep the key fob as far away from the vehicle as possible when you are home. There are also protective pouches and boxes available that block the signal."

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Pretty sure this can be exploited on virtually any car with a wireless key fob and push button start, it's not just a Jeep thing...
Exactly. Jeeps were stolen because they’re popular and profitable and easy to sell. Key fob technology of almost all vehicles are just as vulnerable, but Kias aren’t stolen a bunch because they’re Kias.

If this worries you store your fobs in a faraday bag when not in use.

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Pretty sure this can be exploited on virtually any car with a wireless key fob and push button start, it's not just a Jeep thing...
Yep. Guess no one wants to steal a Prius these days :giggle:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Exactly. Jeeps were stolen because they’re popular and profitable and easy to sell. Key fob technology of almost all vehicles are just as vulnerable, but Kias aren’t stolen a bunch because they’re Kias.

If this worries you store your fobs in a faraday bag when not in use.
Yeah the great push button craze offers something for everyone, theives included.

So now that we have all this "convenience" of push button ignitions, we have to keep the dam thing in a faraday cage and get it out of that device when we want to start our "convenient" vehicles. This is working out really well.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

there are a few fob holders out there that help with this but nothing is perfect. its as simple as popping the good and swapping the eco with one that a thief has the key for these days. get yours self a bolt or some other means of locking the hood. nothing is safe these days. they will take it if they want it bad enough.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Back to the Old School " Club". It locks the steering wheel, brake pedal. Guess we need a Retinal Reader to prevent theft
Would a Tazer allow tracking and immobilization , something through a cell phone app ?

Sponsored

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This is only an issue with keyless remote entry, correct? My fob doesn’t send a signal unless I push a button.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Back to the Old School " Club". It locks the steering wheel, brake pedal. Guess we need a Retinal Reader to prevent theft
Would a Tazer allow tracking and immobilization , something through a cell phone app ?
I used to have a couple of them. I stopped using them after I came out one morning and it was laying on the floor and the column ignition switch was ripped out. Someone must have scared the guy off before he simply stuck a screwdriver in the slot of the switch recepticle. I ended up putting a kill switch in the system.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
The article does not state the model year of the Jeeps stolen, and I also think it is interesting that the thieves stole only 1 of 3 in a single driveway, but then stole 2 more throughout the rest of the neighborhood.

Before you freak out about your FOBs, I know 3 people that have had a vehicle stolen, and ALL 3 had left the key or FOB in the car! I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this was the case for all 3, heck the one guy said he was working on his Jeep all day - very easy to leave the FOB (or key) in when working on it all day.

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
On my Mercedes you could double tap the lock button and the fob would stop broadcasting, not sure if Jeep fobs have such a feature?
Sponsored