Sponsored

Jeep Theft Made EASY

VinnyV2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 6 speed
I'm still looking for where to wire a simple kill switch. It will suit my needs, does anyone have an idea that works inside the cab, with all the electronics?
PS the article about the changes for the Dodges (above) is great news for them, anyway
Sponsored

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
I'm still looking for where to wire a simple kill switch. It will suit my needs, does anyone have an idea that works inside the cab, with all the electronics?
PS the article about the changes for the Dodges (above) is great news for them, anyway
I wired a kill switch to the fuel pump feed. Won't prevent theft, but can prevent a drive a way theft.

WhtRubi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
With new vehicles becoming more "connected" (i.e. Sirius XM Guardian, S.W.A.T, etc.) your car is ALWAYS broadcasting a digital signal. If someone has the correct tools, you don't even need a signal from the key fob. It's similar - although more technical - to the issues homeowners faced when universal garage doors first became available.

If you can find and hack the broadcasting system your vehicle is operating, you can unlock, turn on, disable tracking, and drive away without having to use anything more than a laptop or a smart phone.

*Takes off tinfoil hat and steps off soap box*

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I wired a kill switch to the fuel pump feed.
Won't prevent theft, but can prevent a drive a way theft.
Tangential to what I do when parking my carbureted Suzuki: I turn the petcock to Off. I know exactly how far that bike can be ridden before the bowl empties and the engine stops. The thief only needs to worry if I reach the stalled bike before he can run away...

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I find myself visiting this thread as I am currently planning a cross-country road trip. If it would just be a pain in the ass to wake up with no vehicle.

Not sure if I’m going to pursue this idea or not, but depending oh what city I’m in, I could disconnect the battery terminals and lock the hood (bolt lock) or pull a fuse or two.

another security measure would be to remove batteries from key fobs so you could only start the vehicle with the physical fob pressing the start button.

just a thought

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I find myself visiting this thread as I am currently planning a cross-country road trip. If it would just be a pain in the ass to wake up with no vehicle.

Not sure if I’m going to pursue this idea or not, but depending oh what city I’m in, I could disconnect the battery terminals and lock the hood (bolt lock) or pull a fuse or two.

another security measure would be to remove batteries from key fobs so you could only start the vehicle with the physical fob pressing the start button.

just a thought
If you're going to as much trouble, think about a kill switch. I had my old El Camino broken into and almost stolen a couple times, before I finally installed a kill switch. It saved it on a subsequent attempt.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
If you're going to as much trouble, think about a kill switch. I had my old El Camino broken into and almost stolen a couple times, before I finally installed a kill switch. It saved it on a subsequent attempt.
Jeeps are likely valuable enough they get towed instead.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Unsure what to think of this, most news stories need to be taken with a grain of salt, okay, a pound of salt in reality so....
We don't know what happened to this guys Jeep, I can imagine if I was going to steal a car I would simply steal one that already had the keys in the ignition or on the visor rather than going through all this trouble
I could easily make a list of 20 cars I know of that can be had this way and that's just people I know
Yeah, odd they only took the kids Jeep and left the other 2 , isn't it ???
If I was the insurance company I'd have him produce 2 original factory fobs before he saw a nickel

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Unsure what to think of this, most news stories need to be taken with a grain of salt, okay, a pound of salt in reality so....
We don't know what happened to this guys Jeep, I can imagine if I was going to steal a car I would simply steal one that already had the keys in the ignition or on the visor rather than going through all this trouble
I could easily make a list of 20 cars I know of that can be had this way and that's just people I know
If I was the insurance company I'd have him produce 2 original factory fobs before he saw a nickel
I mentioned this earlier in the thread - I know 3 people that had their cars stolen, and ALL 3 left the keys in them.

If I was nervous while on a trip or something, I'd just pull a fuse, probably for the starter.

Bateman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018
If you are afraid of thieves, you can install above the factory's anti-thief system another one which can complete each other systems and be sure about your car!

Last edited:

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
In my area, I don't know of anybody that leaves the keys in a car/truck/jeep. But, I believe any vehicle that's financed has to have a policy that will pay off the lender without regard to such things.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
I mentioned this earlier in the thread - I know 3 people that had their cars stolen, and ALL 3 left the keys in them.

If I was nervous while on a trip or something, I'd just pull a fuse, probably for the starter.
Sorry, missed that post, sounds about right from my experience too. Many underprivileged thieves don't have the technical skills to remotely clone transponders so its nice so many people consider them and simply leave the vehicles "ready to roll"

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
You can't believe that a professional car thief does not know how to drive a stick. After all it is not like some form secret magic...... I mean you can teach a 10 year old that can reach the pedals in about 5 minutes.
My son is the only one at his shop that knows how to drive a stick, whenever a car needs to be moved or test driven after repair he has to do it!

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
My son is the only one at his shop that knows how to drive a stick, whenever a car needs to be moved or test driven after repair he has to do it!
Millennial anti-Theft device. A manual transmission...

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Holy.. wow, so you're saying there's only one person working at an automotive repair shop that knows how to drive a manual??

I don't care if it's a dang Jiffy Lube, body shop, tire shop or a detailer. People really shouldn't be working on cars if they're unwilling to learn how to properly operate them.
Sponsored