rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Perhaps, but a JL diesel canā€™t do 0-60 in 5 seconds, which a 392 HEMI should. Good luck taming all that power with 10+ inches of ground clearance, 35ā€ tires and Titanic-like handling.
There are 900hp G classes and 1400 hp Nissan Patrols... A Wrangler will handle 450hp just fine... I mean haven't you seen any at least online?

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
I would love if this engine came with a new trim like a Rubicon X or something like that. Also, available on a regular Rubicon. I was thinking for the new trim with the 392, a lift, 37" M/T tires, ventilated seats, Recon like graphics (hood/sides/black grill), maybe 360 cam and fender/windshield mounted mirrors, cold air, exhaust system, Red leather and seatbelts, winch, lights, tire Reinforcement, and monster rock rails, it's basically a Mopar specced out Rubi with many extras. All of these would be nice as an option.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Iā€™d like to see FCA slap a turbo or two on the 3.6L thatā€™s already in inventory with a pretty solid service life. Probably could hit the 392 (HP) pretty easily... get it to market fairly quickly... and still do pretty well in the fuel economy side of things. Good power and torque at a reasonable price point as well. Lots of upside with very few drawbacks from my optic.
That was the original plan but it didn't pan out and they pivoted to the i-6.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Oh I don't watch there channel all the time. I didn't know they had issues...but ya, they seem to be the ones who made a big deal about it but did they get it free? lol. $8K for their supercharger!
There's a lot of gray area on what they paid for and what was free. I'm thinking it was free because they never said it was trash until it blew up. Their Hemi ( tons, motor and install)I think came in at around $40K and they paid for that. I don't watch much anymore when they became full on "influencers" and sales people on commission.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
at first i was thinking this was going to be the hercules teaser. then i had to looking it up. here's the link. so no hemi, but a new i6.
I stand firm that this is way more likely, And it's 3.92, not a 392. A turbo inline 6 just makes more sense for what a wrangler is designed for. Sure there is a Grand Cherokee and a Durango with a v8, but they are not designed for the same use cases as a wrangler.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I just don't know who exactly this is marketed for.

The average Jeep buyer not only doesn't offroad, but also doesn't want to spend a ton on an SUV. I don't see a 392 Wrangler with minimal options that has a price tag below $50k. The cost alone pretty much eliminates the general market and narrows it down to the enthusiast who have very little influence on sales numbers.

I can't see it pulling anyone away from the Bronco who simply want that "Jeep feeling." If a decently optioned Bronco can start at or below $35k and pack more features than a JL Sport, Jeep's response should be to drop prices or offer more at their current ones instead of adding a more expensive trim with a ridiculous powertrain that, frankly, isn't for the average driver.

I want to believe, but right now I don't. I still want one, though, damnit.
It's just for the arms race against the Bronco. The Bronco 2.7 is frankly probably already better than anything that Jeep offers in the Wrangler. and next year they have even more engines they can put in it like the 3.5 Ecoboost. Jeep needs the Hemi to one-up the Bronco. There's no other reason.

Edit: But it would be bad-ass if they do.

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR StingGray
If it happens I will be at the dealer day one to order and trade. I will also eat my hat.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I stand firm that this is way more likely, And it's 3.92, not a 392. A turbo inline 6 just makes more sense for what a wrangler is designed for. Sure there is a Grand Cherokee and a Durango with a v8, but they are not designed for the same use cases as a wrangler.
Totally agree.

But this is the first time I have heard it would be ready for a 2021 model year vehicle. The last report (which was over 6 months ago) said 2022 Grand Cherokee maybe, more likely 2023 Wagoneer.

I think the Hemi would just be a stopgap.

They would be crazy to publish a 3.92 that looks just like a Hemi number with no context. Check the comments. Everyone is thinking Hemi.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree.

But this is the first time I have heard it would be ready for a 2021 model year vehicle. The last report (which was over 6 months ago) said 2022 Grand Cherokee maybe, more likely 2023 Wagoneer.

I think the Hemi would just be a stopgap.

They would be crazy to publish a 3.92 that looks just like a Hemi number with no context. Check the comments. Everyone is thinking Hemi.
It is marketing... they are getting exactly what they want. The day before the Bronco is shown people are talking about the wrangler. To me this shows that FCA is worried about what's about to come. Why wait this long, and even give interviews that a v8 is not possible due to safety concerns and then the day before Bronco all the sudden it's doable? This is no different than all the Bronco "leaks" that came from Ford. It is a brilliant marketing ploy to give those that feel a V8 is " required" hope to stick with FCA longer now that Ford has shown the 2.7 will be a choice that outguns the options FCA has on the table. I would buy a v8 Grand Cherokee in a heartbeat, wrangler not so much. I want the ability to do 150 miles in the desert / mountains in 4 low if needed. A hemi wrangler is not going to do that.. now if I had a purpose built trail rig that does smaller runs, hemi all the way. For daily driver I would want the eco diesel or a new inline turbo 6.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It is marketing... they are getting exactly what they want. The day before the Bronco is shown people are talking about the wrangler. To me this shows that FCA is worried about what's about to come. Why wait this long, and even give interviews that a v8 is not possible due to safety concerns and then the day before Bronco all the sudden it's doable? This is no different than all the Bronco "leaks" that came from Ford. It is a brilliant marketing ploy to give those that feel a V8 is " required" hope to stick with FCA longer now that Ford has shown the 2.7 will be a choice that outguns the options FCA has on the table. I would buy a v8 Grand Cherokee in a heartbeat, wrangler not so much. I want the ability to do 150 miles in the desert / mountains in 4 low if needed. A hemi wrangler is not going to do that.. now if I had a purpose built trail rig that does smaller runs, hemi all the way. For daily driver I would want the eco diesel or a new inline turbo 6.
I agree with you. But the inline-6 isn't ready. If they tease the V8 on Instagram and don't follow through it is a fail. I can't see them doing that.

If they wanted to do that they would put out a leak through a journalist - not publish a photo on their Instagram account.

I don't know why I am posting on this so much. I don't really care. I would never buy the Hemi.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.