Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
A 392 HEMI will push JL’s weight past 5,000 lbs, which will require stiffer suspension, tighter handling, and likely lower clearance to handle all that power and weight. None of which sound like ingredients for greater off-road capability.

Given the ridiculous pricing on EcoDiesels, good luck getting this for under $70,000. Besides, what happened to all those efforts in recent months to force buyers to take the 2.0T...in an attempt to help FCA reach CAFE numbers...?

IMHO, somewhere inside Jeep saw all those Bronco teasers and started panicking.
The diesel is already over 6,000 lbs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekin...-jeep-introduces-25000-wrangler-tax-deduction

which offsets the cost premium if you use it for business.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
Perhaps, but a JL diesel can’t do 0-60 in 5 seconds, which a 392 HEMI should. Good luck taming all that power with 10+ inches of ground clearance, 35” tires and Titanic-like handling.
0-60 in 5 seconds used to be fast, it isn't anymore.
A Honda civic will do that. I don't think it will be THAT
over the top performance wise. I have driven Raptors
that just feel sporty but still handle like a dump truck.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The biggest reason for a I6 (or any inline design) is cost. An engine cost is based on complexity of the design (number of complex parts needed to be manufactured), cost to assemble (again complex means more assembly cost), and reliability (warranty costs).

So what does an inline get you?

- Single cylinder head. Impact on all 3 cost groups above.
- Single exhaust manifold. Same as above.
- Better harmonics due to natural balance. Leads to lower costs for other parts to cancel/isolate harmonics. So again all 3 cost groups are positively impacted.
- Cheaper casting/machining operations on the block.

What are the downsides?

- Longer length
- Not the sexy V8 rumble

The issue here is time and the V8 is a quick fix for a couple years if needed.

FCA is in testing of a I6 turbo setup based off the 2.0L GME I4. It's supposed to come out in a couple years, 2022 was originally the rumor but with COVID impacts this could be delayed. A lot of the testing is out of Italy which was hit hard. Pretty simply math - if it's 1.5 that of a 2.0L GME you get 3.0L, 6 cylinders, and around 400Hp unless they change/tune it differently.

I personally think we will see some sort of special edition V8 JT/JL to combat the SVT Bronco.

I expect we will see a shift in a couple years to the 2.0L being the base engine, the 3.0L i6 being the optional engine, and perhaps still a V8 in some "halo" SRT model. 3.0L diesel will remain as long as sales justify it and diesels don't get banned - this is happening across Europe already with plans to phase out completely sometime late 2020's.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
So I guess BTU/heat problems are no longer an issue if they put a physically larger and higher BTU generating engine in the compartment.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Bigger radiator, bigger fans. If they can pack V8's into small aerodynamic sports cars the Wrangler has plenty of space in comparison.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Perhaps, but a JL diesel can’t do 0-60 in 5 seconds, which a 392 HEMI should. Good luck taming all that power with 10+ inches of ground clearance, 35” tires and Titanic-like handling.
Not to mention fuel economy. The Wrangler decimates fuel economy. Look what it does to the Pentastar which gets respectable gas mileage in other vehicles. Now take a 392, which already gets abysmal fuel economy, and apply the Wrangler factor to that.

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
Not to mention fuel economy. The Wrangler decimates fuel economy. Look what it does to the Pentastar which gets respectable gas mileage in other vehicles. Now take a 392, which already gets abysmal fuel economy, and apply the Wrangler factor to that.
Well, seems we mostly agree the 350/5.7 with MDS would be the best currently available V8 option, the 392 being more a vanity move.

I'd be surprised if the 5.7 MDS or whatever they call it now would be significantly different in efficiency metrics than the 3.6.

I thought it was a great engine in my 1/2 ton Ram, would love to see it in a JL.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
0-60 in 5 seconds used to be fast, it isn't anymore.
A Honda civic will do that. I don't think it will be THAT
over the top performance wise. I have driven Raptors
that just feel sporty but still handle like a dump truck.
You are only making my point.

A 392 HEMI is a lot to handle in terms of power, speed, weight, handling, etc. Off-roading on a trail is the exact opposite of high speed on-road handling. The ground clearance and big tires we crave to clear obstacles on the trail become a handicap when you have to drive a 500 HP beast on the road.

IF Jeep is indeed dropping a big heavy HEMI into JL, it is going to have to change everything that makes Wranglers the master of the trail...if for no other reason than cover its ass from liability.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
With Ford's new Bronco finally a reality, a Wrangler with a V8 option is highly probable-even if only for PR and bragging rights. There is little doubt, as long as pricing is reasonable, it would sell well among the Jeep faithful...

Along this same vein, RAM just fired a broadside barrage at Ford's Raptor with the announcement the Hellcat TRX is finally coming to market...That one should be Fun!

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
I just found this statement on the interweb. :fingerscrossed:

I need one.

"We are already making parts for it. Yes, they are making a hell cat wrangler."

"I was on the launch team for the jt when I worked there. This is 100% true. Both JT and JL will have the 6.4 hemi. Yes I know this and they are building the pilots right now down the line. And they will be on 35" tires stock. They are calling it the Raptor killer."
You wanna provide your source?

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Any sort of 6 cylinder isn’t worth the big leak and hype. If it isn’t a 8 cylinder Jeep is just wasting their marketing money trying to leak something to keep people from buying a Bronco.
I dunno man. I had an N55 motor in my 135i BMW and that motor was awesome. And it sounded absolutely amazing. Sounded better than any V6 I've ever driven. And the power band was amazing. I'd still have it if it wasn't for my GT350R...

R

Status
Not open for further replies.