rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Thanks that article proved my point. Especially the words "have faded".
You conveniently left out the rest of that sentence...

"In recent times, this engine has faded in popularity, but the latest mills from Mercedes-Benz and Jaguar, plus its continued use by BMW, show that there’s still a future for the buttery-smooth purr that only an inline-six can provide. "
Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Did you completely ignore the entire rest of the article that says more manufacturers are turning back to inline-six engines? It’s even in the title of the article.

Thanks that article proved my point. Especially the words "have faded".

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Lol yeah I really read a quarter of it.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
You conveniently left out the rest of that sentence...

"In recent times, this engine has faded in popularity, but the latest mills from Mercedes-Benz and Jaguar, plus its continued use by BMW, show that there’s still a future for the buttery-smooth purr that only an inline-six can provide. "
I really have to laugh at the idea of pointing out European luxury power edition motors and thinking that would be the direction Jeep would go starting from scratch when they already have a V8 at their disposal. Then again we're talking about Fiat so who knows.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Every BMW 40i engine is an twin turbo inline-six and it’s a monster of an engine and sold in many models. I owned one. It’s also in the new Supra and in-line sixes are in several other things too. I would LOVE a twin turbo inline six.

Here, have a read https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hagerty.com/media/news/why-inline-6-is-making-a-comeback/amp/
Second this. My wife has an X7 with a turbo I6 in 335hp tune (which is underrated). Better than that is my X3M Competition. 503hp from a twin turbo 3.0L I6. Some think that car has some faults but the motor is an absolute beast.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Here let me make this easy. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN
Bookmarked for later.

i think it will happen.and if it does itis not a victory for FCA. It is a stopgap because they have taken too long to develop a turbo 6. Which i think is the result of trying to add turbo to the 3.6 and failing.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
If they can get 270 ho from a 2.0l 4 banger...400hp should be an easy reach from a small displacement 6. Yes, a Hemi would be cool but a turbo 6 is far more likely (CAFE#)

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I really have to laugh at the idea of pointing out European luxury power edition motors and thinking that would be the direction Jeep would go starting from scratch when they already have a V8 at their disposal. Then again we're talking about Fiat so who knows.
You answered your own question. The turbos are based on Maserati engineering.

V8 is a terrible application for SUVs and mid-size trucks. Too big, too heavy, too inefficient .It’s not the 60s dude.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Not only Cafe but 3.0 and smaller is the magic displacement number to Sell rest of the world without the heavy emission penalties. That’s why there are so many 2.7-3.0 liter engines around.

If they can get 270 ho from a 2.0l 4 banger...400hp should be an easy reach from a small displacement 6. Yes, a Hemi would be cool but a turbo 6 is far more likely (CAFE#)

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

A bunch of the automakers, FCA included have been working on new i6's for awhile now. They're cheaper to make than v6's, use less parts and generally have more torque.
Smoother output, more torque, more efficient, all you mentioned above, and the Hemi is getting long in the tooth again. They’ve squeezed almost all they can out of the design.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I would take a well-executed turbo six over a non-performance variant V8 any day. The only advantage the V8 has is sound. Other advantages of a well-executed turbo six outweigh that.

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don't care what the layout is I just want an engine the pulls from idle on up. Not really concerned about peak output, most of my driving and wheeling is done sub 4k rpms. My old V8 blazer had enough to bottom end to start in 3rd with 3:73 and 38.5

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A 392 HEMI will push JL’s weight past 5,000 lbs, which will require stiffer suspension, tighter handling, and likely lower clearance to handle all that power and weight. None of which sound like ingredients for greater off-road capability.

Given the ridiculous pricing on EcoDiesels, good luck getting a JL 392 HEMI for under $70,000. Besides, what happened to all those efforts in recent months to force buyers to take the 2.0T...and all these attempt to help FCA reach CAFE numbers...?

IMHO, someone inside Jeep saw all those Bronco teasers and panicked.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.