Sponsored

Jeep Stolen in Downtown Montreal

geowar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 2 door willys
Thanks for the excellent replies.
As suspected here, Jeep cannot track the vehicle.
My UConnect/Guardian app wasn't active, I called to reactivate/report the theft (very slow process, took 45mins to rectivate and charge my cc. Anyhow, the app briefly showed the car had not moved.
Jeep stated that they notify me and the police if it comes back on. I would think this isn't likely based on some of the posts here.
@jeepoch , thanks for the details and good call on the Tazer. I did not have one installed.
@bjeepz yup, this is a good call for Americans - apparently major car thefts here in Montreal.

And no repercussions. The bad guys are winning in Canada as well.
I live an hour south of Montreal in Northern New York. The only vehicle I would drive and park in Canada is a winter beater. Guy I know parked his brand new F-250 along with two trailered snowmobiles at a McDonalds restaurant near Montreal, came out after lunch, Truck gone!

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Depending on which news you watch, it’s not happening anywhere. It’s all conspiracy theory. It’s definitely not happening in Cali, New York, Chicago or Philadelphia. That’s for sure.
I'm not sure where you came up with those states, but I don't see New York, Chicago, or Philadelphia in the top 10. California definitely has some cities in the top 10, but Pueblo appears on top per capital.

https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-auto-theft

Sponsored

OP
OP
Moses212

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
One thing that isn't clear with Jeep/Stellantis is if there's anything different with their tracking of the Jeep vs using the app - I can't access it now as the app says the vehicle is stolen.
But if for the brief minute I saw the app, it showed the vehicle where it was last parked, shouldn't that mean the GPS has been disabled?
And, they may not be able to access it in Canada - per their document:

(Vehicle must be within the United States, have network coverage and must be registered with Uconnect Access with an active subscription that includes the applicable feature).

Anyhow, regarding stats, interesting NYC doesn't come up high on the list of thefts. Wonder if it's because no one would leave a car on the street in NY! I regularly see broken windows and every now and then, cars on blocks...

wrang_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU 4XE
Thanks for the excellent replies.
As suspected here, Jeep cannot track the vehicle.
My UConnect/Guardian app wasn't active, I called to reactivate/report the theft (very slow process, took 45mins to rectivate and charge my cc. Anyhow, the app briefly showed the car had not moved.
Jeep stated that they notify me and the police if it comes back on. I would think this isn't likely based on some of the posts here.
@jeepoch , thanks for the details and good call on the Tazer. I did not have one installed.
@bjeepz yup, this is a good call for Americans - apparently major car thefts here in Montreal.

And no repercussions. The bad guys are winning in Canada as well.
Honestly, you don’t want a stolen car back unless it has extremely sentimental valuables. With the price of comprehensive insurance, I have only the deductible to incentivize me to actually protect the vehicle, and once it’s been stolen it’s always trashed or wrecked or used in the commission of a crime.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Top 10 States by Theft Rate
*Theft rate is total thefts per 100,000 residents.

RankState2021 Theft Rate2020 Theft Rate
1.Colorado661.21502.12
2.Washington, D.C.651.00562.98
3.California511.05475.24
4.New Mexico475.50426.19
5.Oregon471.16385.08
6.Washington461.91368.46
7.Missouri428.13453.63
8.Nevada426.75365.84
9.Oklahoma359.33371.28
10.Texas320.04318.52

In addition to having the most overall thefts by volume, California was also home to the Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) and Core-Based Statistical Area (CBSA) with the highest theft rate in the United States as the Bakersfield, CA CBSA had 1,024 thefts per 100,000 people. With a rate of 964.92 thefts per 100,000 people, the Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO CBSA was second overall in theft rate, while the former #2, the Yuba City, CA CBSA, fell to tenth place.
https://www.nicb.org/news/news-rele...hicle-thefts-continue-skyrocket-many-areas-us

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Sponsored

Bandit59

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Let this be a reminder to everyone to install a kill switch.
My Jeep was parked downtown Montreal last night on a nice, well lit street. At 00:03 the Jeep was stolen (the only available camera didn't capture much other than a grainy image of the Jeep leaving).

What a shame, this was the nicest Jeep I've ever owned by far.

If anyone has any experience with claims, please let me know. I'm insured with Geico.

Thanks
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Stolen in Downtown Montreal 1707743568281
Nice ride. You know it is so hard to make your Jeep harder to steal. I don’t go many places that I worry about. I guess you could pull a fuse or two. But then you will have to reset stuff. They use to say do not lock your doors with the fob. Don’t know if that works anymore. You would think in todays time they would be more secure But they r much less secure

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Sacre bleu!

This is timely and relevant:

https://arstechnica.com/security/20...lipper-zero-device-in-crackdown-on-car-theft/

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has identified an unlikely public enemy No. 1 in his new crackdown on car theft: the Flipper Zero, a $200 piece of open source hardware used to capture, analyze and interact with simple radio communications.

On Thursday, the Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada agency said it will “pursue all avenues to ban devices used to steal vehicles by copying the wireless signals for remote keyless entry, such as the Flipper Zero, which would allow for the removal of those devices from the Canadian marketplace through collaboration with law enforcement agencies.” A social media post by François-Philippe Champagne, the minister of that agency, said that as part of the push “we are banning the importation, sale and use of consumer hacking devices, like flippers, used to commit these crimes.”

GRXKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2010 F150, 2016 Escape, 1970 GTX
Occupation
Own and operate a remodeling company
Let this be a reminder to everyone to install a kill switch.
My Jeep was parked downtown Montreal last night on a nice, well lit street. At 00:03 the Jeep was stolen (the only available camera didn't capture much other than a grainy image of the Jeep leaving).

What a shame, this was the nicest Jeep I've ever owned by far.

If anyone has any experience with claims, please let me know. I'm insured with Geico.
Dump Geico, if you know the commercials its crap insurance

Geico
Allstate
State Farm
The General
Progressive

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
First, these have nav systems in them and are completely trackable. The way this jeep was stolen was with a device that copies the RFID signature when the key is being used, which also means there was a car , or person near enough to do that.
Honestly, they don't even need to read your key anymore... Programming a new key using a diag tool like Lauch or Autel just takes few minutes. And just to know: Montreal is one of the worst Canadian cities for car theft, and Jeeps are very popular. Beware!!!

houstonstroker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU
One of the reasons why I installed my own GPS. It has its own battery but gets trickle charged while running down the road. So even if the main battery gets disabled it can still be accessed. I also set up a geo zone, so I get a text alet and email alert when the vehicle has left the geo zone. I also use cheap tiles on my rigs as a secondary less precise locator. They are cheap. I hate thieves.
Sponsored