Sponsored

Jeep Stolen in Downtown Montreal

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Let this be a reminder to everyone to install a kill switch.
My Jeep was parked downtown Montreal last night on a nice, well lit street. At 00:03 the Jeep was stolen (the only available camera didn't capture much other than a grainy image of the Jeep leaving).

What a shame, this was the nicest Jeep I've ever owned by far.

If anyone has any experience with claims, please let me know. I'm insured with Geico.

Thanks
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Stolen in Downtown Montreal jeep jee
Sponsored

Jeffy56

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
From what I've read, your Jeep is now on a boat to Africa. Call Geico, most insurance companies will have their own procedure. Keep n copy that security footage.

hilljumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Clubs

My Jeep was parked downtown Montreal last night on a nice, well lit street. At 00:03 the Jeep was stolen (the only available camera didn't capture much other than a grainy image of the Jeep leaving).

If anyone has any experience with claims, please let me know. I'm insured with Geico.

Thanks
jeep jeep.jpg
So, this was a remote entry vehicle? NICE Jeep!

hilljumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Clubs

First, these have nav systems in them and are completely trackable. The way this jeep was stolen was with a device that copies the RFID signature when the key is being used, which also means there was a car , or person near enough to do that.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Question, did you have a Tazer installed?

Just wondering if the Security Gateway Module was bypassed? Any idea how they defeated the ignition? Was it locked, any evidence of broken glass?

Please think before answering on a public forum, especially if yes to the Tazer. Your insurance may have a different algorithm of payout if so.

You can invest in 3rd party anti theft devices like IGLA but also have to then put up with their additional inconvenience. Sorry, but the bad guys are clearly winning. Even if they're caught, they'll likely be freed on $0 bail.

https://www.ram-trx.com/threads/i-had-igla-for-5-days-what-you-should-know-before-installing.14609/

Jay

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link

Thanks
Sorry to hear this, OP. Along with the video I'm assuming you got a police report as well. That should get your started with your insurance.

bjeepz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Recon
First, these have nav systems in them and are completely trackable. The way this jeep was stolen was with a device that copies the RFID signature when the key is being used, which also means there was a car , or person near enough to do that.
They are NOT trackable with factory installed components. Mine went missing also and Jeep stated no tracking.

bjeepz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Recon

Thanks
Mine went missing from a hotel in Ottawa just before Xmas. The police will do nothing. Insurance will take care of it. Get your receipts ready for the aftermarket parts that are bolted to it permanently like the bumper, winch, steps and whatever else. Next time get synthetic rope on that winch!

My claim with Belair Direct took about a month to fully resolve and get me in a new Jeep. Now I'm paranoid as F that it will get stolen again ffs.

Again for the Americans reading this - in Canada from the GTA to Montreal there is a major epidemic of vehicle theft at this point, nobody is doing anything about it, it is out of control.

CBC Marketplace has a lot of investigative reporting videos on this.

maestro5531

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 HydroBlue TRX , 23 HydroBlue JL Willys
Why would that matter? Maybe because the extension cable makes it easier to access?
None of the thieves plug into the OBD port directly , they go for the Can bus block, be it a Jeep , Ram whatever. They program their own key and are on the way. One of the ways to prevent theft is have a kill switch, Can bus security system like IGLA or mechanical type Ravelco.

They also pull off infotainment screens to disconnect GPS plugs that you get your vehicle location on the app

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

None of the thieves plug into the OBD port directly , they go for the Can bus block, be it a Jeep , Ram whatever. They program their own key and are on the way. One of the ways to prevent theft is have a kill switch, Can bus security system like IGLA or mechanical type Ravelco.

They also pull off infotainment screens to disconnect GPS plugs that you get your vehicle location on the app
Exactly. That's why I asked @jeepoch why it would matter if a Tazer was installed, implying that it made it easier to steal. Maybe he was instead referring to its ability to enable to hood alarm?

OP
OP
Moses212

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Thanks for the excellent replies.
As suspected here, Jeep cannot track the vehicle.
My UConnect/Guardian app wasn't active, I called to reactivate/report the theft (very slow process, took 45mins to rectivate and charge my cc. Anyhow, the app briefly showed the car had not moved.
Jeep stated that they notify me and the police if it comes back on. I would think this isn't likely based on some of the posts here.
@jeepoch , thanks for the details and good call on the Tazer. I did not have one installed.
@bjeepz yup, this is a good call for Americans - apparently major car thefts here in Montreal.

And no repercussions. The bad guys are winning in Canada as well.

Aussicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Man that sucks. Really sorry to hear about this.
Sponsored