Jeep stolen by theft ring in Toronto

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I got my Rampage hood locks today, they're very nice. WIth that said, I thought about reconnecting Uconnect for its stolen vehicle tracking. They want $25/mo! Wow. No wonder I didn't renew it. I miss my hotspot.
Most useless technology, when my 4xe was stoled couldn’t track it because they have deactivated the gps, called useless uconnect and they told me they can’t help. Save your money and get another tracking device. I did tag
Sponsored

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
It’s usually Lexus SUV’s you read about that have been going missing, surprised to hear a wrangler got took, but that’s life in the big city I guess. I live in rural western Ontario, no neighbours and a bit of land. Heck I usually leave the keys in mine. If it’s in my driveway, I’m home and the cameras around the house have motion detection and push notifications to my phone. I’m usually not too far from a firearm either, so they’re welcome to come and try 😂
Except for the firearm part Non Of what you mentioned saved my 4xe. Simply they scan the vin with duplicate key and ready to go

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Saw this today. Absolutely crazy and I can’t believe they even care about stealing wranglers. Guess that’s what happens when they start costing $80k to buy and the security is that weak.
Exactly my point.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
They just need access to On-board diagnostics (OBD). Look at all those Jeep keys https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/ottawa/2022/12/5/1_6181762.amp.html
They're not using the OBD port. They're using the Star rail behind glove box.

They pop hood, remove fuse for horn and head unit, gain entry to vehicle, connect to Star and make a new key. It about 3 minutes if they're good.

I would LOVE to know why Jeep doesn't enable the hood pins to set off the alarm. It's practically negligence.

Bare minimum should be enabling those hood pins with JScan, a hood lock and I would even go so far as a couple steel zip ties around fuse box. Some are using a bike lock from steering wheel to holy shit handle.
Hopefully all of that should slow them down enough for them to move onto an easier target.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Most useless technology, when my 4xe was stoled couldn’t track it because they have deactivated the gps, called useless uconnect and they told me they can’t help. Save your money and get another tracking device. I did tag
That's why they yank the fuse for the head unit.

hiro5id

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6L
OP, sorry to hear about your Jeep :(

Also, for those of you saying to add a steering wheel bar or club that is one of the easiest items thieves can take off. I know because my JK was stolen within minutes even with the club on. They just saw through the steering wheel like butter.

You can cover the vin all you want but they can still find it on the body stamped if they really wanted to steal your Jeep.

Hood locks are def worth getting because they will need to make a ton of noise trying to remove them.

Ravelco is one of the best devices you can get. I am not sure if they are in Canada but its worth a look to see if they offer it. Even if thieves somehow manage to get a 2nd key by finding your vin stamped, they will still need the chip to turn it on. Not 100% theft proof as they could just tow your Jeep at that point but an awesome deterrent.

Its good to have a combination of everything to hope it scares off the thief to move on to the next car.

Hope this helps!

Is it feasible to grind off the vin number from the frame ? Or would that not be advisable?

hiro5id

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6L
If you want to save $250 Jscan supposedly has it. You need the Jscan app (ios android, I think it was $30-40) a bluetooth obd2 scanner and cables to bypass the obd2 security. I say supposedly because it's written in its features but I haven't walked downstairs to verify that its there, not that I have any reason to not believe it.

http://jscan.net/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB4873/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/TTXSPP-Adapt...dc-b735-871016d58188&pd_rd_i=B08ZL4LRVK&psc=1

I lost my Tazer and I greatly prefer Jscan because its an IOS app vs having to carry a printed sheet of how the hell to use my steering wheel controls for Tazer every time. I had the same style programmer on my BMW and I still can't remember how to use it when I need it. The IOS app you just click buttons and you get much better feedback.

Also this might sound like a lot but the Tazerhas the bypass and plugin as well you're going down there either way.

Don't ask how I'd lose a tazer.. I have no f'in idea, it disappeared when I had a dealer date.
Can the Jscan do a PIN lock like the Tazer ?

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Is it feasible to grind off the vin number from the frame ? Or would that not be advisable?
It is illegal in CA and the US to tamper with a VIN.

Diesel1776

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It is illegal in CA and the US to tamper with a VIN.
Bend your frame. Have it replaced. New one won't have a VIN.

Then put a strip of black tape over the roll bar VIN.

Problem solved and done so """"""legally"""""" ... That's what I did anyway lol

Mike_Hawk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GOBI JLUR 3.6
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

We have some of this also going on in Phoenix…very sad. I’m afraid that it is just becoming part of big city living.. :mad:
We should not accept this as normal... This is a symptom of a larger problem with our society

Planotex

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Willys Xtreme Recon, 2006 Jeep Comdr 4X4
Hang em high!
Sponsored