Jeep stolen by theft ring in Toronto

JeepnLee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Hi everyone, Just a quick post to let you know about a theft ring in Toronto. My 2022 Jeep JLU Sahara was stolen on Canada Day Friday early morning right from our driveway. I have the whole thing on security cam footage. The very first thing they did was scan the VIN number, then input that into some device. They then opened the engine hood and cut the wire that sounds the horn when the alarm goes off.

It took them about 15 minutes to get it going. Seemed to be a bit of a struggle and actually called a third person to come. (We were not home).

Long story short, I now have a 2020 JLU Rubicon that only had 35,000km on it, and happy to be back in a Rubi as that is what I traded in.

So now I have covered the VIN (with black electrical tape), am getting a hood lock installed and bought the JL Tazer that has a setting that sets off the alarm and light show when the hood is opened when the alarm is armed.

Anyone else in the Toronto area have their Jeep stolen? My girlfriends vehicle was stolen from the same driveway 3 months ago!! Still have not seen one police patrol EVER in the area.
Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Car thefts are up an insane amount since the pandemic started. I won't park my jeep outside unless I have to anymore, but I live downtown. Sorry your Jeep got stolen, I had a Lexus IS350 stolen about a decade ago and my insurance company tried to screw me hard (they did, didn't try).

I've been scared of my jeep getting stolen because I have a 999,999 mile lifetime warranty that Mopar doesn't sell anymore. I know I'd never get that deal again..

Anyway, this is motivation for a hood lock, although I'm sure all they'd have to do is crawl under the jeep to snip any wires. I don't even have inner fender liners right now, so you can see all my wiring, nhot that they can't just rip that off too.

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I frequent Toronto often .. though I try to limit my time there for several reasons that I will not get into here. The high likelihood of having my Jeep stolen or damaged is just one of them.

Hopefully your situation gets resolved -- really sucks that happened. Perhaps in the future use archaic methods of theft prevention such as steering wheel locks. That'd be enough to deter most modern-day thieves.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Hood locks are awesome. But those of us with the trail cam can’t use them. And the locking hood latches are flimsy. I don’t trust them. But maybe it would be a decent deterrent?

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hood locks are awesome. But those of us with the trail cam can’t use them. And the locking hood latches are flimsy. I don’t trust them. But maybe it would be a decent deterrent?
I won't be able to find it but I saw a post where someone moved their front camera down a little bit and put the hood lock right above it. I've also seen people move the camera left/right one grill piece. It looked like it was 2 or 4 bolts holding its bracket on.

also while I'm here, can the Uconnect/Mobile app not GPS track the jeep?

OP
OP

JeepnLee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I frequent Toronto often .. though I try to limit my time there for several reasons that I will not get into here. The high likelihood of having my Jeep stolen or damaged is just one of them.

Hopefully your situation gets resolved -- really sucks that happened. Perhaps in the future use archaic methods of theft prevention such as steering wheel locks. That'd be enough to deter most modern-day thieves.
Forgot to mention, yes I also purchased “The Club” to go on the steering wheel. I feel that covering the VIN alone will stop them in their tracks. If they do not have the VIN, they cannot get the FOB information and unlock the vehicle, or start the vehicle. They had quite a bit of hardware with them.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I won't be able to find it but I saw a post where someone moved their front camera down a little bit and put the hood lock right above it. I've also seen people move the camera left/right one grill piece. It looked like it was 2 or 4 bolts holding its bracket on.

also while I'm here, can the Uconnect/Mobile app not GPS track the jeep?
I’ll see if I can find that

And you can track the Jeep if you subscribe.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Good to know, I’ll go put electrical tape on the vin now. Thanks for the tip. A friend of mine works on a special interprovincial squad to hunt down those rings and told me that the best thing to do nowadays, is get a steering wheels blocker bar, as these guys wont bother to desl with them and just find another Jeep to steal. This one works perfectly.

09DA71D4-31CF-49BA-8571-0429905E9406.jpeg

Last edited:

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
Never say never. I wanted a Bolt hood lock and the trail cam too. I made it work.

bolt lock.jpg

Sponsored

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Forgot to mention, yes I also purchased “The Club” to go on the steering wheel. I feel that covering the VIN alone will stop them in their tracks. If they do not have the VIN, they cannot get the FOB information and unlock the vehicle, or start the vehicle. They had quite a bit of hardware with them.
How do you plan on covering the VIN? One of the VIN locations is outside of the vehicle, stamped onto the frame under the front passenger door.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
They stamp the frame with the VIN as well. At least, they used to.

• Wow
Reactions: 469

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know, I go put electrical tape on the vin now. Thanks for the tip. A friend of mine works on a special interprovincial squad to hunt down those rings and told me that the best thing to do nowadays, is get a steering wheels blocker bar, as these guys wont bother to desl with them and just find another Jeep to steal. This one works perfectly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep stolen by theft ring in Toronto bolt lock
I'm looking at these on Amazon now and there are a ton of different types. I'm not sure which one to get. Some of them even have screeching alarms apparently

Reactions: 469

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I'm looking at these on Amazon now and there are a ton of different types. I'm not sure which one to get. Some of them even have screeching alarms apparently
The one in the picture is the one I bought... I gambled and won :) the size is perfect for our steering wheel ''fatness'' and the lenght also perfect with our short dash. The bar ends about an inch from the windshield.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

covering the window vin will slow the process but the inner door, frame, and computer in the engine bar all have the vin on it. sorry about the loss of your jeep. Its sad how easy they make it nowadays
Sponsored