Jeep started without key fob close by?

Fastbusa

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
We get home and it's calling for rain tomorrow, so my wife goes inside and I put the top up and the windows in. I get all of that done, start the jeep and back into garage. Turn jeep off then go to grab the key. Well theirs no key. I walk inside and ask my wife where the jeep keys are as I thought she left one inside the jeep. One is upstairs and the other is in her purse on the kitchen table. Both are well over 30 feet away. I thought that's odd, so I get both keys and take them out back to see if I can duplicate the problem. Thankfully, Jeep doesn't start. Theirs been times when the key fob would be in the back of the jeep and it wasn't close enough and all of sudden it starts from 30 feet away?

I've heard stories of jeeps electronics going crazy before but has anyone every experienced jeep starting with key fob so far away?
Sponsored

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
That is strange. I haven't played with the Jeep to see how it reacts with the fob outside of the Jeep. My F150 knows the fob is missing the moment I step out the door with the fob in my pocket.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Mine wont start if the keyfob is anywhere but inside the jeep

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Mine wont start if the keyfob is anywhere but inside the jeep
Same here, I have tried it. I am getting the over roof tent and was wondering this so I put the key on the roof and it would not start.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
I was cleaning the tar residue off my 2 month old Jeep caused by a truck leaving a valve open while traveling to a job site. The FOB was in my pocket and my bending over movement caused the panic button to get pushed.

I took the FOB out of my pocket so it couldn't cause the alarm to go off again and placed it between the garage stalls, about 2 feet from the Jeep. I continued to work on getting the tar off as best as I could.

After a while I decided to drive to the store to get some other tar removing chemicals as the one I was using wasn't working too well. I hopped in the Jeep but when I went to start it a message saying the Key FOB wasn't in the vehicle popped up.

I was very glad it wouldn't start as I then would have been stranded at the store 5 miles away. I mentioned this to my son when he was visiting and commented about people worried their vehicle could get stolen if the FOB was too close to the vehicle in the house.

He said that the thieves apparently use a device that allows the FOBs range to be extended. Makes sense to me. Maybe the thread starter forgot to turn off his 'device'? :giggle:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fastbusa

Fastbusa

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Yeah I've had the jeep not start with the key in the very back. Was really strange when I realized I didn't have a key close by.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I can remote start my Jeep from inside the house. Perhaps your wife was pranking you.
That would be possible, except in that case the EVIC says that the jeep is in “remote start mode” and does not allow you to shift the transmission out of park unless you have the fob with you and you press the start button to unlock the transmission.

OP
OP
Fastbusa

Fastbusa

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I can remote start my Jeep from inside the house. Perhaps your wife was pranking you.
Would be a heck of trick since I don't have remote start :LOL:.

I'm guessing something is going on. Start jeep this morning, pull out of garage and hear a pop from speakers. Touch screen turns off, reboots and time is reset but xm channels are all still preset. It's a jeep thing right?

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Would be a heck of trick since I don't have remote start :LOL:.

I'm guessing something is going on. Start jeep this morning, pull out of garage and hear a pop from speakers. Touch screen turns off, reboots and time is reset but xm channels are all still preset. It's a jeep thing right?
My 2018 Sport does this occasionally, proof there is a Ghost in the Machine .( AKA, Jeep Thing )
Sponsored