Jeep snobbery - RANT

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
These questions pertain to child-rearing: whether it is more important for you to have a child who is respectful or independent; obedient or self-reliant; well-behaved or considerate; and well-mannered or curious.
Not my test, but I'll take it. Have a 23 year old son who turns 24 next month. From the above, the goals were:

respectful vs independent - that one is a push, he's both. In fact independent with a bit of anti-social (he's a gamer and game designer/programmer)

obedient vs self-reliant - the latter. Way latter

Well-behaved or considerate - the latter. Way latter

well-mannered or curious - mostly the latter though he can be charming when necessary

Some people remain in the "spare the rod" school of thought. I never hit my son, but he certainly had a shitload of time outs and more than one restaurant dinner was left cold as I took him out of the place.

I'm either lucky or stupid but have never thrown a punch in anger. I've had to deflect a few, but I've talked/walked my way out of many a sticky situation. Seen plenty of fights, almost all driven by ego and/or alcohol with a good helping of bad judgement thrown in.

I do find it somewhat ironic that many who decry "cancel culture" also believe that people should get punched when they say something "offensive." Same dynamic, just different medium. I suppose it ls like driving - anyone driving slower than me is a moron, anyone driving faster is crazy. :)
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
You'd have guessed wrong. A few have tried. Didn't go as they expected. ;)

***EDIT*** But I do really enjoy that we've moved from actually talking smack to simply being deemed "condescending" or a "know it all" to being a reason for violence (condoned or not).

The discussion is really shaping up to show that most people who are replying have no real concept of free speech or the fact that the ONLY type of speech protected by the 1st Amendment is that which is offensive b/c otherwise, everyone would agree with the speech and there'd be no cause for contention.
Dont much care about the original topic, really....but free speech is right in my wheelhouse. I taught this material my whole professional life.

The First Amendment, and the principle of "Free Speech" in the US, pertain to public expression, and specifically of political opinion. It prohibits the government from limiting certain speech. It doesnt and never has applied to personal communication between individuals.

The consitutional protection of free speech isnt what allows me to call your mama ugly and walk away unharmed. It's the threat of criminal prosecutution for assault.

The issue of enforcing civility by threat of violence is something else. It assumes that every person is equally capable, and that the violence will only be visited on those who deserve it by those who are righteous. This is a sociological extension of idealized anarchism.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I think some of you have misinterpreted the punch in mouth comments. I don't think anybody is saying it's right to use physical violence in response to a person acting disrespectful. Rather don't be surprised if somebody gets punched in the mouth for sounding or acting disrespectful. It's a reasonable cause and effect even if getting physical is a bit over the top.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Responsibility is the ability to respond. We get to pick and choose what we say and how we say it.

If someone says something that can be taken or perceived as offensive, perhaps we understand on a subconscious and unconscious level that the instigator spoke offensively INTENTionally and PURPOSEfully. They chose to speak words that they knew could indeed have been perceived as a direct attack on the receiving individual and that their comments could have been seen as inflammatory.

On the receiving end, the recipient gets to pick and choose how he will respond to the comment. The choice to respond with aggression, violence, apathy, sadness or hate speech are just a few of the many, many choices.

However he chooses to respond, the very act of choice that the individual has can not be ignored. He gets to pick and chose how much power or how little those words have over him and how great or how small his ability to respond will be.

That same individual must recognize that other individuals can be high in emotion, low in reason and may not process the same level of deep intellect and may also not choose to respond to an otherwise inflammatory response comment in a rational or reasonable way.

Thinking before speaking and purposefully choosing words means that we hold ourselves more accountable to ourselves, our principles and our belief system first before anyone else and also before we allow others to.

I will conclude this with a quote: “the reason so many people become lost in thought is because it’s unfamiliar territory.”

Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
It seems like I am screwed with any Jeep Wranger I might buy for either being looked down upon or ridiculed for buying too much Jeep.

I am Jeep newbie but I am car guy. I had no idea on the various models were or which one was top of the line. I went to the dealership and sat in the only JLU they had on the lot this and noticed the locking differential and realize the Rubicon must be a higher level model for more serious off-roading. I went home looked at the Jeep website configurator and was overwhelmed with all the models. I had to watch a YouTube video to figure it out.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
....Some may not realize this, but Sahara owners regularly get accused of being poor drivers, bad off-roaders, mall crawlers, even poseurs, all because we drive a Sahara. Ironically, half the time we get lectured by Rubicon owners who never even take their Jeeps off-road. I try not to be oversensitive to it, but it is just weird.

Do Sport owners get this too?...
So, this is actually a shock to me. I have never heard that Sahara drivers are stereotyped in that way. Such a shame. I like them all. whether they are stock or rigged like a tank; whether JK or JL or scratched up or buffed to a high shine. I like "JEEP".

I own a Base Sport. Not the Sport S with all them tech goodies...but the base sport with the manual windows and locks! Some people have made some comments about me having a base sport, but nothing rude or snobby...at least I've never taken it that way. I love my sport and I loved the price lol.

Being able to mod it is fun lol altho I've taken some years to do it, gradually. But that's the beauty of it...IMO there are no rules regarding a JEEP and how you mod it...if you keep it stock or not.

The only negative thing I've heard of people doing is not waving to a stock Jeep. I wave to all Jeep owners, whether I get the wave back or not. Either way, I'mma do me and that's happily wave at a Jeep "stranger" on the road and get my "giggle-on". :sun:

Good post tho! :fist bump:

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
...I dont care what any snobs say, I got what I wanted and am modding it how I want. I see pavement princesses in every trim.People buy them for their own reasons. If they want to buy a Jeep and never go froading, that's their call. It doesn't hurt my feelings.
THIS!!! 100%

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
A Jeep no matter what the trim is a Jeep to me. People that tend to talk noise are just trying to keep attention on others and not themselves and their insecurities. Keep on Jeepin!
This right here! HItting the nail on that head for sure!

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Respect the sig. I come from wheeling some hardcore terrain in my blazer all across Texas. I ain’t got time for no Jeep waves. :devil::LOL:
ROFL! Well when you drive to Houston, I will be EXPECTING a wave from you SIR! So, just prepare for it to be given! :party:

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I just assume guys or girls that wave at me are the off-roading type. I wave back - and if I see a dirty Jeep I will wave first.

I come from a history of motorcycles where (at least where I live) we wave... the world of customizing and building Honda Ruckus' and we wave, and road cycling where we wave...
YUP Same! I oftentimes find myself trying to wave at a Jeep when I'm on my motorcycle lol and vice versa.

But yup... I actually didn't think about this...could be totally why I wave at other Jeeps even if they don't wave at me, because for us riding motorcycles, the wave is definitely a "THING". I always get waved at, no matter the type of motorcycle.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
It's pretty much the same in the motorcycle world. Anyone who has ever rode a sport bike with some skill will tell you the same. My last bike was a Panigale 899 and that thing had more power than I'd ever care to max out.
You come across tools with 1000s who could go straight and fast but couldn't corner to save their lives.

It comes down to the rider/driver and not the machine--always.
True...but there's a flip-side to that. You also have the riders who are adamant about Track days and will look down on those of us who've never been to the track and who don't care to ever go lol.

Again, people will have their opinions and try to degrade someone else that isn't like them. The real problem is their lack of self-confidence and their feelings of being inferior.

If I don't want to ever ride on the track and tackle corners, why should that bother anyone else? If someone never wants to ride on the streets and live on a track...why should that bother anyone else? There are more important topics to discuss than this type of foolishness.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
re the OP: Jeep and toyota snobbery can be real. Just go down black bear pass with a stock Sahara. The laughing stops as soon as it starts, especially when its clear you're the one waiting on them and they have to wave you past. The majority of Jeep/toyota drivers these days with their bro-lifts and bro-wheels and zero dirt to be found dont know a thing about off road driving. Dont even try to keep up with the non-sense. Just be one of the good guys.

The reality is the Jeep Wrangler -especially since the JK- is basically america's Defender. Its as much a status symbol/image branding as it is a tool. Which is fine, of course, just discern who is who and spend your time/energy accordingly.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
I would be willing to bet (if I were a betting man) that 97% of those giving you grief about a Sahara have never really been off roading or have and have little actual knowledge and skill. A bone stock stripped Wrangler Sport in knowledgable hands is FAR MORE rugged, trail worthy, and capable than 97% of all of the Posers, Mall Crawlers or Bunny Trail Bad Asses out there. I would wheel that Sahara with serious pride...
Sponsored