First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Talk six months ago by all the Bronco fan boys was that the Bronco was going to easily hand the Wrangler its own ass with it's superior engine. So now it's fun to watch them squirm and sidestep the conversation. At the end of the day there will be some Broncos faster than some Wranglers. But there will always be a few Wranglers faster than any Broncos. And those fast Wranglers are going to be more common soon and cheaper to buy.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I have the manual and can confirm it’s very fast. Lots of high end torque. After 2500rpms it’s a rocket ship.
My manual JK was a riot. It was a stripped down base model that I had absolutely gutted. And rarely ran with doors or a top, no spare tire, or bumpers, or carpet, back seat... You get the point. Some light 35" tires on super lightweight 15" wheels and it would make people look twice after it rolled them at a light.

FB_IMG_1479072538806.jpg

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
I just go with the 2 front doors off because of my daughter in the back. I don't care what it looks like, it's just fun to drive with the doors off.
Do you think you might consider the Bronco because of the 2nd row curtain airbags? I’m guessing people with children would be attracted to this.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have the manual and can confirm it’s very fast. Lots of high end torque. After 2500rpms it’s a rocket ship.
Yeah it’s fun when you wind it out. Not much pep off the line though.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Our 2dr even w/ the 3:45 gears gets off the line pretty good and no problem getting up to passing speeds on the hwy. It's really quite a blast to drive on the roads, and w/ our local roads completely going to shit it's nice to have suspension w/ decent travel :)

Only time my smile turns updside down behind the wheel is when heavy crosswinds rear their ugly head, then it can be a white knuckle death grip cruise :(

Xenolith

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sport S, 6MT, 2024 Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired Geology Professor
I remember the early 1980's when Japanese motorcycle manufacturers were putting turbos on 500-750cc engines claiming "superbike level" (1000-1100cc) performance which never happened. Kawasaki got close with the GPz 750 Turbo.

Many reviews of those motorcycles said the same thing, displacement will always win.

As has been pointed out, Does this matter? No. Who will buy a Wrangler or Bronco to go drag racing?

The upside is, this will keep Jeep on their toes. That is good for all of us.

I am looking forward to a good off road comparison.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Our 2dr even w/ the 3:45 gears gets off the line pretty good and no problem getting up to passing speeds on the hwy. It's really quite a blast to drive on the roads, and w/ our local roads completely going to shit it's nice to have suspension w/ decent travel :)

Only time my smile turns updside down behind the wheel is when heavy crosswinds rear their ugly head, then it can be a white knuckle death grip cruise :(
Brad, you notice how much easier to drive when windy with no top or doors. I guess half the brick is missing :)

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
I want to see a head to head between the Bronco 2.3, and Wrangler 2.0. If the 3.6 can spank the 2.3, then the 2.0t is going to destroy it. Assuming the 2.0t is faster than the 3.6, which based on the numbers, I think is possible.

Sponsored

Sontavaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lj - sold-cause im an idiot. 2019 blue rubi ordered and received. I need my LJ back.
Occupation
Repressor of civil rights
For the price difference in the bronco vs Jeep, you could always supercharge your 3.6

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Brad, you notice how much easier to drive when windy with no top or doors. I guess half the brick is missing :)
Have only taken the top off last year for a few days, been wanting to again when it cools down a bit. I'll have to see what difference it makes, more like driving a mini fridge vs. the current walk-in freezer I imagine :)

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Have only taken the top off last year for a few days, been wanting to again when it cools down a bit. I'll have to see what difference it makes, more like driving a mini fridge vs. the current walk-in freezer I imagine :)
Lol. Yeah. With doors off or tube doors, the wind wips you personally around a bit, but Jeep stays perfect still. Crazy how different it is

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
For the price difference in the bronco vs Jeep, you could always supercharge your 3.6
Eh… my Bronco build (4 door base, Sasquatch, aux switches, V6) MSRP’s at $43k. It’s pretty tough to get a rubicon 4 door that low, and considering the price of the Xtreme Recon package it’s a pretty darn good deal.

Only problem is the base is basically like a Sport S and you can’t option anything extra for options really, but for $6k savings over going the next trim up I’ll deal with the shortcomings.

Just out of curiousity here’s my build as a Rubicon. The Xtreme Recon would add another $4k to that, but considering that jeeps can be found cheaper than Broncos right now I’m probably saving $3kish realistically over a *somewhat* comparable wrangler.
Jeep Wrangler JL JEEP SMOKES BRONCO! Bye đź‘‹ Bye! CB4BE043-AE21-4260-84A2-12F5C8953546

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’m still browsing here. These comparisons are honestly pretty pointless until we get apples to apples comparisons. Comparing Broncos on big tires to jeeps on small tires, hybrids vs non hybrids, Broncos on low octane and unknown modes, etc. I drove a Sasquatch Bronco on the street, it was definitely a decent bit faster than a 2.0 rubicon soft top I drove 24 hours prior. Maybe I’m just biased and they’re closer than I think, but 10 second 0-60 is just dumb. That’s like my old explorer with a 4.0 V6 making 210 horsepower.

I want to see a badlands 2.7, non Sasquatch, in sport mode, traction control off, on premium fuel (Bronco gets a pretty significant boost from premium, anyone that cares about 0-60 would run it) Vs. a stock Jeep Rubicon 2.0 with all the same settings and premium fuel too. That’s when I’ll take a comparison seriously. And when the Xtreme recon package comes out let’s see that vs a Sasquatch Bronco.
I don't think there is a point in insisting that comparisons be between a 4-cyl vs 4-cyl, hybrid vs hybrid, etc.

Automakers make the decision to offer certain engines based on development costs, projected sales, estimated profits, manufacturing constraints, environmental regulations, consumer demand, wider brand/corporate strategy, etc. So in the end we get the engines that we get.

Consumers, on the other hand, decide between vehicles within a price range, equipment level, and overall value for money. One vehicle may give them more comfort, another more offroad capability, another more spirited driving, yet another the image they want, etc.

IMO, 4Xe is priced very aggressively for its combined output and level of technology. I built a Sahara V6 and 4Xe with similar equipment; they were off by only $1,500. Once you include the federal tax credit, the 4Xe offers tremendous value for money.

My Sahara V6 is barely broken in so I didn't pull the trigger on a 4Xe. But 4Xe would look very tempting if I were coming fresh into a Wrangler.

Despite the current shortage of 4Xes in inventory, Stellantis appears serious about electrifying its product lineup.

Bronco is going to have to deal with all of that for the time being.

Ford leads Detroit automakers in electrification, so I imagine Bronco will get a hybrid and/or an EV version once it gets this ongoing manufacturing mess under control.
Sponsored

Last edited: