Sponsored

JEEP SMOKES BRONCO! Bye 👋 Bye!

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Lol, my '09 JKUR has a 200 hp 3.8L that probably does 0-60 in more than 14 seconds! No, I frankly don't care, it's a Jeep and at 2-4 mph on the trails it's just fine. When I have 0-60 concerns I'll drive a street vehicle.
Interesting. I drive mine on the street.
Sponsored

JEEPmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 2dr
I get the sarcasm but.... it's not completely pointless, is it? My Prius, which everyone rips on for being slow and terrible, is apparently a 9.7 sec 0 - 60 vehicle. I find it to be perfectly adequate around town. I'm not going to win any races, but if I need to get ahead of someone at a light I generally can because everyone is too busy making their next tiktok video at the stop lights. But acceleration does matter, at least a bit, in the real world. While 9.7 is fine for me, I do wish it was a bit quicker.

Also... I have done the stop light drags in a Jeep before. My best take down ever was a Viper. I was rolling toward work, top and doors off, sway bars long since thrown in the garbage, probably a cigar in hand (those days I worked a late shift at Ford) in my 2003 TJ. On an empty stretch of road I come up on a Viper. Guy also has his top down and he looks over at me as I come to a stop at the light. He gives a little wave and nod, that's when I knew it was on. I reach down and pull that t-case into 4 high to help on the launch and I rev the mighty 4.0 to let him know he is about to meet his match. The entire Jeep twists itself up as it tries to hold back all 190 furious horses. The light turns green, I side step the clutch from about 2,500 rpm and the BFG mud terrains let out a groan as they claw at the pavement for traction, the jeep trying to lift the front left tire off the ground. Midway through the intersection I slam it into second gear, the Jeep lurches at the torque change and I make it through to the other side first. A moment or two later that Viper finally catches up, the driver looks at me, laughing, knowing he just got smoked. He then floors it as he disappears into the distance in a classic ricer fly by. Yes, Jeeps are truly made for drag racing.
I'm trying to understand if this is a joke, or if you actually believe you smoked a viper?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm trying to understand if this is a joke, or if you actually believe you smoked a viper?
It's written like a joke, but he literally beat him across an intersection? That 30ft is all reaction time. A slow reaction time will lose to a quick reaction time across an intersection almost regardless of the vehicles involved.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
It's written like a joke, but he literally beat him across an intersection? That 30ft is all reaction time. A slow reaction time will lose to a quick reaction time across an intersection almost regardless of the vehicles involved.
I like to imagine that he just couldn't get it hooked up, and clearly I'm the better driver. Maybe it was because that dude finds me to be as hilarious as I think I am so he was too busy laughing at my stupidity. But probably he just didn't want to be next to some idiot that is trying to no lift shift a Jeep on surface streets.

JEEPmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 2dr
I'm just trying to understand the psychology of it all, because it happens to me frequently when I'm the guy in "the car". I always get people in SUVs, trucks, Subarus, Hondas, etc, trying to race.

I can gauge if we're "racing" or not, by if I have to push the throttle down more than 1/3 of the way to keep up with them. I've found it's actually more fun to pretend that I'm putting on a good race and let them think that they've won, than it is to win the race and risk going to jail by exceeding any posted speed limit in just a few seconds.

I love Jeeps for their capability off road and in inclement weather, but I'd never try to out handle or win a drag race with a sports/muscle car.
Sponsored