Sponsored

Jeep sliding after installing bigger tires?

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport
Occupation
Crime scene remediation field supervisor
Hello guys and gals... has anyone had an issue with their JL sliding into turns after installing bigger tires? I installed some rubi takeoffs KO2 33" with no lift onto my sport. I don't have any rubbing but I have an issue with sliding into turns even during slow turns and dry conditions. The tires I got only had 800 miles on them. If anyone has any advice, it will be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
can't say it was due to the tires, as I had even more issues with with slipping on dry pavement with the stock Bridgestone Duelers, but I do get some rear end sliding with my KO2 but not on DRY pavement, usually wet or just recently dried (after the dripped oils and stuff have been brought to the surface by rain).

But never that bad that I felt it was an issue.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I saw your note in my thread about sliding. Yeah, it definitely swings out more than I expected, though for me, it hasn't happened in dry conditions. I've found that giving it power in the turn seems to be the culprit. If I don't give it gas in the turn, it seems to do fine. I think it is a matter of power to weight distribution coupled with the pivot of the turn

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
KO2s are not the grippiest tire. Take it easy on the skinny pedal.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
KO2's are great tires, and often considered one of the best AT tires on the market (some people would argue it is the best). I had them on my Grand Cherokee and a Ram. I would certainly buy them again, although I just bought some Wilepeak tires for my wife's Renegade because they were cheaper.

Obviously there are better road tires out there than the KO2, and an all season or highway tire will grip the road better. However the KO2 has very good road manners and I never had any slip issues, especially on dry roads. I think the issue is more a matter of A/T tire vs street tire, not so much a matter of size difference (1-2" isn't an issue). As the others have said, go a little easy on the skinny pedal around curves. It's a Jeep not a car it's going to handle accordingly.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

took me a little to get used to the lightness of the Jeep wrangler when i first got it. ive been in Old Chevy Pick-ups my whole life and when i bought the jeep it took awhile to get used to the cornering. and let me tell you its much worst with 165 lbs of roof top tent. thing gets much tippier but doesnt slide as bad LOL. i have noticed the KO2 and the KO's when brand new a little slicker than after the first 1k miles on them. ( kinda like a motorcycle tire. you have to go easy the first few hundred miles or it will slide out) seen that happen way to many times

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
KO2s are not the grippiest tire. Take it easy on the skinny pedal.
Did you just wake up from hitting your head?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello guys and gals... has anyone had an issue with their JL sliding into turns after installing bigger tires? I installed some rubi takeoffs KO2 33" with no lift onto my sport. I don't have any rubbing but I have an issue with sliding into turns even during slow turns and dry conditions. The tires I got only had 800 miles on them. If anyone has any advice, it will be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
Something is going on other than the kind of tire your running. Are you running like 60 psi in them? Even a bald Hankook off of a Prius won’t slide around a corner at low speeds. Like @Carlton said, maybe in 4x4 accidentally?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Don’t accelerate too hard. I don’t drive like a grandpa but I’m not in a rush either and have never had an issue in rain in the stock JK SRAs, Kevlars, Toyo MTs or Duratracs. The one time I slipped I intentionally took a corner hard and accelerated fast as a test.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
If you just installed KO2's and are at NORMAL PSI--if it isn't ICE and you're skidding into turns !!

PILOT ERROR !!!!

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP
Mrmojo78

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport
Occupation
Crime scene remediation field supervisor
I'm definitely not speeding into turns and I never drive aggressively. I noticed I felt her start to slide during a <10 mph left hand turn. It's not necessarily a fish tail, but it's kind of like the start of a smooth slide out until I straighten out the wheel. Dont know if that made any sense... I am running around 37-38 psi. Do you think my pressure is too high?