Sponsored

Jeep should have put the aux switches...

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
....on the dash just left of the touch screen or closer to the driver.

Driving backroads at night and switch on your aux lights, you almost have to stay hunched over with your fingers on the buttons to shut off for any oncoming cars.

Convenient? Yes. Good location(imo)? No

Longer I own this thing the more I get annoyed with all the little "issues". Water that pours in when rains or from melting snow(cant even open window practically), led's in snowy weather, front defroster not being full width, climate control sucks(i.e. 72 too hot but 71 too cold), factory says 35" no prob - not true for spare it rubs like crazy cant be good for hinges or tailgate(marking up rear bumper as well, never mind the annoying noise it makes), rear flares will get destroyed if no step or mud flaps, etc. etc. etc.

I just expected more for the price tag these things carry and with the redesign and all.

"Its a Jeep thing" excuse not cutting it anymore, it's practically 2020 not 1995..I really expected more.
Sponsored

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry it isn’t working out for you. I am sure someone thought the aux switch location was ideal. To me it makes sense because in theory you would use those “off road” buttons less than other knobs or switches in the Jeep. Also, if you were blind you would have to feel around to find things; maybe it would help to practice turning them on and off without looking.

Climate control is so funny to me. We have gotten to where we literally can’t handle ANY change in temp. I am not specifically calling you out; I’m just amused by it really and I am guilty of it too. Sometimes I just have to crack a window, breathe in the cold air, maybe even shiver or break a sweat to remind myself how lucky I am to have all this modern luxury.

Jeep was clear about running “up to” a 35” tire, and that means for sure problems with bigger ones stock but maybe an issue with that size. Wheel and tire width and wheel offset make a difference. Lift that Rubi!

The issues are unfortunate, but the JL is a marvel in spite of its imperfections and the good definitely outweighs the bad tenfold. I hope things change for you.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Are you legally allowed to run on the road with you aux lights on? I see in another post that you are running factory LED. Are they not bright enough for normal night time driving?

I don't believe it's a jeep thing means what you think it does. If you don't like your JL sell it and get a mini van with a 50" light bar.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
Sorry it isn’t working out for you. I am sure someone thought the aux switch location was ideal. To me it makes sense because in theory you would use those “off road” buttons less than other knobs or switches in the Jeep. Also, if you were blind you would have to feel around to find things; maybe it would help to practice turning them on and off without looking.

Climate control is so funny to me. We have gotten to where we literally can’t handle ANY change in temp. I am not specifically calling you out; I’m just amused by it really and I am guilty of it too. Sometimes I just have to crack a window, breathe in the cold air, maybe even shiver or break a sweat to remind myself how lucky I am to have all this modern luxury.

Jeep was clear about running “up to” a 35” tire, and that means for sure problems with bigger ones stock but maybe an issue with that size. Wheel and tire width and wheel offset make a difference. Lift that Rubi!

The issues are unfortunate, but the JL is a marvel in spite of its imperfections and the good definitely outweighs the bad tenfold. I hope things change for you.
All is good, just annoyed I guess forgive for the venting

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Are you legally allowed to run on the road with you aux lights on? I see in another post that you are running factory LED. Are they not bright enough for normal night time driving?

I don't believe it's a jeep thing means what you think it does. If you don't like your JL sell it and get a mini van with a 50" light bar.
I suppose that the previous post has a point - you're talking about off-road accessories. Personally I would prefer them on the left side by the headlight switch, that's where I always ended up installing rocker and toggle switches in previous vehicles and I guess that's just how I roll.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned

Lol on last sentence that was funny.

No lights not legal, but who doesnt like using them at night and turn night into day everytime they get the chance. I sure as heck do, I mean you should see what the 4 OEM led's and 5 d-ss rigids do to dark backroads. Could prob see me driving from an airplane.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
I suppose that the previous post has a point - you're talking about off-road accessories. Personally I would prefer them on the left side by the headlight switch, that's where I always ended up installing rocker and toggle switches in previous vehicles and I guess that's just how I roll.
That would work I like it...lot better than where they are now

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Lol on last sentence that was funny.

No lights not legal, but who doesnt like using them at night and turn night into day everytime they get the chance. I sure as heck do, I mean you should see what the 4 OEM led's and 5 d-ss rigids do to dark backroads. Could prob see me driving from an airplane.
Put one of your loved ones in the car coming at you on the back road. Give them a sun burn and then invite them over for Thanksgiving. Should be a good conversation.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
Put one of your loved ones in the car coming at you on the back road. Give them a sun burn and then invite them over for Thanksgiving. Should be a good conversation.
Not really sure how I should reply to that.

You do understand Im not saying i just drive around with all my lights on and just blind everyone right? That would be insane.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Now that I think about it, I think I already have all the pieces to make this work...

"Alexa, turn on the lightbar."
Duuuude....that is a GREAT idea!!

how could this be wired up to work?

Alexa would look awesome in the Jeep mounted somewhere.

BostonJohn13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 05 Wrangler Unlimited
how could this be wired up to work?

Alexa would look awesome in the Jeep mounted somewhere.
I suppose you just need Alexa software (or some other AI) running on the infotainment. You'd also need something like a CAN bus switch controller to allow the infotainment uProcessor to control the lights directly.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I suppose you just need Alexa software (or some other AI) running on the infotainment. You'd also need something like a CAN bus switch controller to allow the infotainment uProcessor to control the lights directly.
I'm guessing your from Boston area? Any good spots you know of to take these things on a trail ride? Nothing crazy

BostonJohn13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 05 Wrangler Unlimited
I'm guessing your from Boston area? Any good spots you know of to take these things on a trail ride? Nothing crazy
I grew up in the Boston area and i'm still a big Boston sports fan. Anyhow out in SoCal now for over 10 years so I can't offer any suggestions.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
LED’s in snowy weather is not Jeeps fault, it’s yours. That’s common sense. There’s a reason Halogens remain king for bad weather. Even fog lights are better in non-led form.
Sponsored