Jeep screwed up badly with the hardtop design

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
The one thing I wanted fixed with jl was a two piece hard top design for the back portion just like the freedoms hardtop so it can be removed with Only ONE PERSON and would take half the space when it comes to storage.
This design is a nightmare. High chances of nicks and dings every where If using some sort of hoist design without help. And when it is finally taken out it takes such a huge volume
It shouldn’t have been this difficult. This is a dumb design. Should have been modular
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The one thing I wanted fixed with jl was a two piece hard top design for the back portion just like the freedoms hardtop so it can be removed with Only ONE PERSON and would take half the space when it comes to storage.
This design is a nightmare. High chances of nicks and dings every where If using some sort of hoist design without help. And when it is finally taken out it takes such a huge volume
It shouldn’t have been this difficult. This is a dump design. Should have been modular
You should check out the Sky one touch top. the whole thing is removable, and modular. Trouble is it would be very time consuming compared to the normal hard top.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Worked fine for years with my JK and isn't a big deal with the JL. If it's a problem, there are any number of lift and storage solutions for you to use. Could it be better? Probably, but to call it a "dump design" is just silly.

Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
It shouldn’t have been this difficult. This is a dump design. Should have been modular
If only Jeep had thought that maybe some customers might want a top that is easier to raise/lower, and offered an option for them?!? Maybe something lighter, and foldable, and one that can just be pushed back instead of lifting it off??? But alas, I guess we'll have to live in the misery of knowing no such option exists...

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
If only Jeep had thought that maybe some customers might want a top that is easier to raise/lower, and offered an option for them?!? Maybe something lighter, and foldable, and one that can just be pushed back instead of lifting it off??? But alas, I guess we'll have to live in the misery of knowing no such option exists...
Like- not rigid. You know? Like almost a canvas type of thing. But stronger. There could be a mechanism where you could fold it back if you don’t want it up.

Maybe for the 2020 models.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Like- not rigid. You know? Like almost a canvas type of thing. But stronger. There could be a mechanism where you could fold it back if you don’t want it up.

Maybe for the 2020 models.
We can dream. But I can't imagine Jeep ever actually offering something like that. Especially not on every single model sold since the beginning of the Wrangler...

OP
OP

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
That’s your opinion. I have to call my cousin to come give me a hand every time I want to remove it. All I’m saying is that modular design would have been the way to go

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s your opinion. I have to call my cousin to come give me a hand every time I want to remove it. All I’m saying is that modular design would have been the way to go
All you'll need is two ratchet straps to pull it off, so long as you have somewhere to hook the straps overhead. I have no trouble with mine all by myself.

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

OP
OP

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
All you'll need is two ratchet straps to pull it off, so long as you have somewhere to hook the straps overhead. I have no trouble with mine all by myself.

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG
This is exactly how I’m doing it now but I’m California. We are not fortunate enough to have backyard with that size so it would have to be in the garage that being said brining it down always creates headaches and leads to scratches etc.
One time as I was backing under the top in the garage the garage door release got stuck between my car and the top and the garage door fell right on my hood lol

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly how I’m doing it now but I’m California. We are not fortunate enough to have backyard with that size so it would have to be in the garage that being said brining it down always creates headaches and leads to scratches etc.
One time as I was backing under the top in the garage the garage door release got stock between my car and the top and the garage door fell right on my hood lol
Ah, I don't have a garage but if I did, that's where I'd have my straps.

Sorry to hear about the garage door on the hood though lol.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
Shoulda gotten dual tops. I doubt I'll ever put my hard top back on.
Sponsored