Jeep screwed up badly with the hardtop design

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Mine has never been wet on the inside except for opening the door depending on how its parked. It's not that big of a deal. Sure in hell is not like the old firebird and camero t tops.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
My brother's JK has the bolts in the top (I'm assuming you're talking about the ones that unscrew from the bottom of the roll bar). I liked that JL doesn't have those. I see in your avatar photo your's was a 2 door. My brother's JK (and the one in the video) are 4 door so that may be why you didn't have them.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So a Jeep sits outside in a downpour, the downpour stops, you dry off the top, and the cabin will remain dry?
Yes. I haven't had a problem, even without having to dry the top off, but I think a lot of the issue is that water runs down the gutters and drips in when you open the doors. If I'm reading some of the responses right though, it sounds like some people are also having water drip in at the seam of the freedom panels. I've been lucky enough to not have that problem so I'm not sure what the cause/solution is. On the up side it sounds like it's minimal when it occurs, though any unwanted water inside is too much.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Many folks reference this video with look how easy it is. The video never shows them negotiating the most difficult part of removal. the lift a few inches then it shows them walking with what appears to be a very heavy top.

I had a JKU, the Freedom panel knobs were on the 4 door version for sure.

I have a JLU, the knobs are not on the 4 door version. Freedom panel is much lighter and easier to remove. I removed mine in seconds, both sides, with the help of my 12 year old daughter while in the Drive Thru lane picking up food, she got one, I got the other and we tossed them in the back.

The rest of the top, while lighter is still a pain to remove as it is large and awkward.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah I noticed they skipped over them actually removing the top too. Sure they can do it, but it's a struggle for sure.
As for the JL top. Yes it's easier, but as Brian said, it's still large and awkward. I don't think I'll ever take mine off without using my hoist. That way is super quick and easy. Almost a must to use some sort of hoist with anything this large, regardless of how light they make it.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
As far as water running down the channels and inside when you open the door, the jk’s did it as well. It’s very close to being the same design on the outside.

Freedom tops on the 2 door also had the 2 knobs you had to unscrew from the rear of the freedom panel as well. They were a pain! I love how the new tops just have latches all around.

Also I’m wondering what the weight is on the hard top. Took out my freedom panels yesterday and could tell they are a lot lighter than the ones on my jk.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
As far as water running down the channels and inside when you open the door, the jk’s did it as well. It’s very close to being the same design on the outside.

Freedom tops on the 2 door also had the 2 knobs you had to unscrew from the rear of the freedom panel as well. They were a pain! I love how the new tops just have latches all around.

Also I’m wondering what the weight is on the hard top. Took out my freedom panels yesterday and could tell they are a lot lighter than the ones on my jk.
The rear section for a 4 door is about 100 Lbs, 2 door should be a bit less, but not by much. Most of the weight is in the glass.

Sponsored

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The rear section for a 4 door is about 100 Lbs, 2 door should be a bit less, but not by much. Most of the weight is in the glass.
Then the top as a whole is definitely lighter than the jk’s. I thought the jku too was about 130 pounds.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Then the top as a whole is definitely lighter than the jk’s. I thought the jku too was about 130 pounds.
Ah, I never had any experience with the JK hardtops. I had a frustrating time figuring out how I could get the JL's off by myself without hassle but I don't think the result would have been very different with it at 130 Lbs.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
One way to remove the hard top by yourself is to remove the freedom panels. Then unscrew all the Torx fasteners, carefully remove wire and hose from the rear corner, and then raise the rear hatch window. Get in drivers seat and put on seat belt, start the vehicle, place it in drive and head out a fast as you possibly can and by the time you hit 50 MPH you will be enjoying the open air freedom of a Wrangler.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One way to remove the hard top by yourself is to remove the freedom panels. Then unscrew all the Torx fasteners, carefully remove wire and hose from the rear corner, and then raise the rear hatch window. Get in drivers seat and put on seat belt, start the vehicle, place it in drive and head out a fast as you possibly can and by the time you hit 50 MPH you will be enjoying the open air freedom of a Wrangler.
:cwl::cwl:

An added benefit to this method is, your hard top becomes "modular" afterwards.
Sponsored